Author Topic: Voting opens for British Fantasy Awards  (Read 22362 times)

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Voting opens for British Fantasy Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 07:32:55 pm »
Hello Selina,

Yes - it is the original screenplay that is considered and that has to be in the English language.

Sarah

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:31 am »
I just spent several hours filling in the form, & thinking, & filling more in, & thinking, & finding the websites, & checking dates, & filling more in. It was getting on for 4am & I was too tired to finish, so I clicked the resume later button, got an error message & lost everything I'd done so far.  :'(

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:00:25 pm »
Hello Selina,

Yes - it is the original screenplay that is considered and that has to be in the English language.

Sarah

Thanks for the clarification Sarah.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:39 am »
I haven't tried voting yet and I hesitate to do so while I keep hearing stories of the website problems. Have they been resolved yet? Thanks.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:56 pm »
I didn't know there were website problems - I guess Del knows about this?

I haven't tried to vote yet either - will do so shortly though (as long as it's working OK).
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:18 am »
Just to clarify. As far as I am aware the only problem with the site is that you cannot add http:// or www. to the beginning of links. This is a server side security rule (which prevents XSS and SQL injection) which throws an error if the form is submitted. The simple solution to this is to remove the http:// or www. from the front of all URL's.

Hope this helps. If there are any other issues I am unaware of, please do let me know.

Thanks,

Del.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »
Just to clarify. As far as I am aware the only problem with the site is that you cannot add http:// or www. to the beginning of links. This is a server side security rule (which prevents XSS and SQL injection) which throws an error if the form is submitted. The simple solution to this is to remove the http:// or www. from the front of all URL's.

Hope this helps. If there are any other issues I am unaware of, please do let me know.

Thanks,

Del.

I carefully did that Del. Had no real problem, until I decided I needed a break & clicked the "Resume Later" button at the botton, at which point I got an error message & lost everything.

I just tried it again now, after filling in just my name, number & email & it worked fine, so maybe it's a timing issue, to do with how long you've had the form open, without changing anything, before clicking "Resume Now".
In my case, it had been some time, as I'd been checking publication dates, website addresses etc & thinking about what I may nominate. As I said in my original email, I'd been working on it for a couple of hours.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:03 pm »
Sorry to hear you have been having those issues. Hopefully the issue is now resolved. The resume later should work okay, and as far as I am aware there should not be a timeout process on the form as it is a static form and is not referenced again until the submit or save for later buttons are pressed.

I would say if in doubt, click on the resume later and this will save your answers, this will save you losing too much if something does go wrong.

Del.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »
I think there has been some kind of time-out issue, Del: I've heard of a few people who've had the same problem.

I've lost my entire form twice: once, it gave me a 403 when I tried to save, and the other time I was a numpty and accidentally hit the return key, which wiped the whole thing (but that was just me being a moron).

The time-out thing is a problem, but I think it's just a case of saving very regularly! :)

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »
Thanks for the additional info Lou.

I have looked into the server settings and the session timeout is set to 7200 seconds (2 hours). So it could potentially have an impact if the browser detects this in the cookie settings (although this should not happen on this appication). The 403 error is a Forbidden error. This corresponds directly to the security on the server as mentioned previously. If the page timesout you will get as specific timeout error.

Hope this helps.

If this happens to anyone else please let me know as soon as possible. You can either reply hear or email me at webamster@britishfantasysociety.org with the specific error message, and if you can, your IP address so I can trace your submission through the logs.

Del.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »
"webamster@britishfantasysociety.org"

I think it might be better if they use webmaster@britishfantasysociety.org Del!  ;)
But webamster sounds nice - kind of like a web hamster ...

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 07:02:52 pm »
hehe - yes, did you not get the memo? I am now the web hamster.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:55 pm »
"I am now the web hamster."

Running around your treadmill as fast as your little legs can go?  :D

(actually, that's just how I feel at the moment  :'()

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:17 pm »
Web hamster sounds arther nice :)

rather?

Sarah

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 07:50:32 pm »
So now we have a web hamster called Arthur?

Ah, this is so much more fun than voting in the Awards ...  :D