Author Topic: John Carter of Mars  (Read 10870 times)

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
John Carter of Mars
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:09:12 pm »
John Carter of Mars is based on the book - a Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's a very enjoyable film and in some respects improves on the original tale. The film's beginning roughly follows that of the book. There are discrepancies, but I think they make for a better film, and lead nicely into the next installment, Gods of Mars. The book is a remarkable tale, given that it was written so long ago (early 1900s). Edgar Rice Burroughs also wrote Tarzan and given how many films that generated it shows that Burroughs' plots have an enduring quality.

I would recommend the film to all fantasy fans. It is visually stunning. The story is good and the interaction between Dejah Thoris and John Carter is handled well, but not as the love at first sight, as in the book. The CGI is terrific and the creatures are a faithful rendition of those in the book. The tharks and white apes are great. Captain Carter's ability to leap great distance, and strength, due to the lesser gravity of Mars, is explained in the film - but I'm not sure how well this will be picked up by those that haven't read the book. His strength is handled with some humour, especially having to learn to walk in the lower gravity.

I only hope they make Gods of Mars, which in my opinion was the better book. Please support this film as otherwise other films in the series will not follow. Well done to Disney for making this film. It was great fun!
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons

Offline M J Francis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: John Carter of Mars
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »
To be honest I didn't like the look of the trailer (I've never read the book), but having read your comments I might give it a chance  :)

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:37:00 pm »
http://dtmmr.wordpress.com/ This site gives some fairly good unbiased reviews

Offline Phillip Spencer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Nightspore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:33:17 am »
I only hope they make Gods of Mars, which in my opinion was the better book. Please support this film as otherwise other films in the series will not follow. Well done to Disney for making this film. It was great fun!
Sadly, David, I think you will be waiting a loooong time for any sequel. It is being reported as:
one of the biggest flops in movie history
Apparently it cost $250m plus a further $100m on marketing for a worldwide box office take of $184m. Disney shares dipped on this news so I suspect no one will be whispering John Carter's name in their executive suite for a while.
See the BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442200

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »
Aye and what a shame. I really enjoyed it. I did read the book when I was 13 so there is a nostalgia angle. I genuinely felt that it was well done. The negative reporting started very early on which never helps. I agree that it's not up to Pirates of the Caribean quality.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:40:03 am »
'Please support this film as otherwise other films in the series will not follow. Well done to Disney for making this film. It was great fun!'

Saw it in New Zealand yesterday, David. I loved it!

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »
I admit to seeing John Carter twice and I enjoyed it more the second time around. However, you must be a real fan travelling all the way to New Zealand to see it!!

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:19 am »
I'd go to see it again, too.

You might be interested in this article I found the other day.

http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Library-Without-Walls/A-Dreamer-of-Mars-Edgar-Rice-Burroughs-and-John-Carter/ba-p/7187

'One hundred years ago, he emerged, full-blown, as a pulp fictioneer of genius, a mesmerizing chronicler of derring-do and over-the-top comicbook action. Demean not such gifts: They are as rare as the verbal magic of a Nabokov. To this day, Edgar Rice Burroughs remains, as he was during his lifetime, one of the great masters of adventure.'

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:02 am »
It's been weird to see such a well-crafted film get such stinking reviews. The UK reviews, especially, seem to have taken offence at it taking itself seriously. It's a solid three-star film, at the very least. Flash Gordon, Krull, Dune, The Thing - all flops in their day, now regarded as classics, and I think this might join that list.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:08:28 am »
I wholeheartedly agree, Stephen, in that it will be remembered as a solid film. The film followed the spirit of the book.

100 years old as science fiction.

As a source ...the books are 100 years old and mapped out the way for many to follow...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:14:33 am by allybird »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:36 am »
Even at the box office, while it's certainly disappointed Disney, it's not been a true box office flop... Its worldwide gross so far is $234m. These are what you call proper flops:

Man on a Ledge - $40m
Mars Needs Moms - $38m
Thousand Words - $15m
Pluto Nash - $7m

It's already taken more worldwide than, for example, Battle: Los Angeles, War Horse, Cowboys & Aliens, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Hugo. It didn't do that badly at the box office - it was just a film so expensive that it was always going to struggle to make it all back.

I think it was Mark Kermode who said if you spend that much you might as well spend a little bit more to get yourself a Tom Cruise...

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:39 am »
I enjoyed it,kept me entertained and it was a long time since I read the book so I can't remember how close it followed it, but i don't care it was good.   ;D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 05:34:57 pm »
Brilliant replies guys. It's restored my faith in humanity (and my sanity). I liked the link Allybird. Very intersting. It was a good balanced view on the books and Burroughs' life. 

I saw one review about the film which said - I've seen it all before. The chap had it the wrong way around. A lot of books/films borrowed from Burroughs, one could argue :) They are not the best books around but they are highly entertaining.

Dylan68

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:46 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't keen on it. I though John Carter was miscast and the whole film was very bitty. The 3D was good though.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:52 pm »
It's been weird to see such a well-crafted film get such stinking reviews. The UK reviews, especially, seem to have taken offence at it taking itself seriously. It's a solid three-star film, at the very least. Flash Gordon, Krull, Dune, The Thing - all flops in their day, now regarded as classics, and I think this might join that list.

Flash Gordon regarded as a classic now? By who exactly? You can't mean that godawful 80s version with the equally horrible Queen soundtrack surely?