Author Topic: Shelflings  (Read 17357 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Shelflings
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
Well, I've had the go-ahead from the BFS chair and received the blessing of the BFS review editors, so later this month BFS members will be able to download the first issue of Shelflings, a new *ebook* publication collecting the reviews from the British Fantasy Society website.

Blame me for the title. It combines the words shelf and halflings, inviting you to think of everything reviewed as magical little beings eager to play on your book and DVD shelves. Isn't that adorable?!  ;)

I won't be taking any submissions for the magazine: it's a modest little thing entirely made up of material already published to the BFS website. Reviews and material for review should continue to be sent to the BFS review editors as usual. I'm just taking advantage of the work they're already doing to create a nice little mag; I won't be interfering with the way they do things at all.

With this first issue I don't plan to include book/dvd/game covers in the ebook - they would add quite a bit more work. If the magazine proves popular and there's a definite demand for including covers I'll have another think about it.

Before each issue goes live I'll make a final draft available to the review editors, for them to pass on to the review teams, so everyone can check nothing untoward has happened to their reviews in the typesetting.

If you have any questions about the ezine, feel free to PM me or email at stephen.theaker@gmail.com, or just ask here in the forum. I'll be very interested in any comments and suggestions, though I won't necessarily implement them - especially if they'd mean doing extra work.  :)

Anyway, here's the cover. This issue should be available later this month, with future issues planned to appear every three months, so July, October and January for the next three.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:28:26 PM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Shelflings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »
Before each issue goes live I'll make a final draft available to the review editors, for them to pass on to the review teams, so everyone can check nothing untoward has happened to their reviews in the typesetting.

Good, it'll give me a chance to see if you caught the one, or two typos that got through in my earlier reviews.  ;D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:49 AM »
I'll be embarrassed now if I didn't...!

It's been a really good read so far.

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
I think i got them amended before Stephen started his fiddling :)
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:08:18 AM »
I think i got them amended before Stephen started his fiddling :)

I was talking about the ones I didn't bother to report in a couple of my earlier reviews. Mainly missing a space between a couple of words, if I remember rightly. ;)

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
Shelflings - what's not to love? Thanks to Stephen for a great idea and his work on this :)

Sarah

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
Thanks! I hope it'll be provide a nice little benefit for members, and maybe even encourage other BFS members, who don't necessarily want to sign up for an ongoing committee job, to propose other little projects.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »
There's a poll at the top of the thread asking whether you think prices should be included in Shelflings - let me know what you think, either by voting or in comments. My inclination is to leave them out, because they are so changeable these days...

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:36 AM »
I think providing you put a disclaimer that prices were correct at original publication of the reviews, it shouldn't be an issue. It also means if someone seeks out the book six months down the line they can get an idea if they are getting a good deal.
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »
At least prices provide a target figure -- is it a book I can afford, or one for my birthday?  ;)

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »
At least prices provide a target figure -- is it a book I can afford, or one for my birthday?  ;)

I agree. At least they give a very good idea what they're more than likely to cost. I don't think anyone is going to hold the BFS responsible if the price has altered in the meantime.

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:11:28 PM »
I'd only need to know the price if something was mega expensive rather than just a general price.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, and to everyone who has cast a vote too. The prices stay!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
Taking this first poll down now - I'll have other questions to ask in future! - but for the record the results were:

How important do you think it is to include prices for everything reviewed in Shelflings?

Utterly essential - 2 (20%)
Desirable - 5 (50%)
Fairly - 1 (10%)
I suppose - 1 (10%)
Don't bother - 1 (10%)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
New poll up top... For a long time, there were separate sections in the BFS newsletter Prism for reviews of mainstream books and indie books, but in later years they were all put together in one big book section.

Which would you prefer in Shelflings?