Author Topic: Shelflings  (Read 43075 times)

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Shelflings
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2012, 07:58:15 am »
Ramsey's column is actually about film censors. Perhaps his next one will be the review?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2012, 08:49:16 am »
Thanks! I think he writes columns for a couple of places, so it could be somewhere else. I could be wrong, but I'd guess Ramsey's take might be fairly similar to mine, that as parody it's a bit unfocused and lacking specific knowledge about the thing being parodied, a bit like Saturday Night Live making jokes about British politics.

That doesn't stop it being funny in itself, if it's the kind of writing you find funny (which I do), but I think that, ironically, the bits that upset people were also the most successful, being so much more specific and pointed.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »
We've had a couple of queries about supplying Shelflings in alternative file formats, so I thought it might be worth pointing everyone in the direction of Calibre, some superb free software for managing your ebook collection that also lets you convert books to your preferred format.

You can download it here: http://calibre-ebook.com/

Once you've added the epub and/or mobi files to your Calibre collection, you can convert them to a huge variety of formats: pdf, rtf, lrf, lit, txt, and so on, whatever you might need. And if you're after a pdf, it'll let you specify the size you'd prefer - A4, A5, etc.

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2012, 11:37:52 am »
Seconded. Just for general use, Calibre is invaluable.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2012, 12:30:10 pm »
The first draft of Shelflings #3 is now available for reviewers to check. I've just emailed your editors, and the files are also in the indie review team's shared Dropbox. There's also a link in the exclusive Book Reviewers section of these forums. If you've left the review team since your review appeared or otherwise don't receive an email (maybe you're a new member who fancies getting some proofreading experience?), drop me a line and I'll send you a copy.

Comments to me by next Saturday, please!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:59 pm »
With a new Shelflings on the way, this is a really good time to make sure the email address you have on record with the BFS is the right one, especially if you didn't receive the email last time!

Contact the membership secretary with any updates: secretary@britishfantasysociety.org

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 12:11:20 pm »

Shelflings #3 imminent!

Shelflings is a BFS members-only ezine compiled by Stephen Theaker from reviews edited by Craig Lockley, Phil Lunt and Jay Eales for the British Fantasy Society website.

Links for downloading issue three will soon be emailed out to members, so make sure we have your current email address on file, especially if you didn't receive the emails sent out for issues one and two. Send updates to our membership secretary at: secretary@britishfantasysociety.org.

Issue three features over 30,000 words of reviews by Catherine Mann, Chris Limb, David Brzeski, David Rudden, Elloise Hopkins, Glen Mehn, Guy Adams, I. O’Reilly, Jeff Jones, Jim McLeod, Katy O’Dowd, M.P. Ericson, Mario Guslandi, Matthew Johns, Mike Chinn, Patrick Henry Downs, Pauline Morgan, Phil Ambler, Phil Lunt, R.A. Bardy, Sandra Scholes and Steve Dean.

In this issue our team considers the work of Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Adam Baker, Alan Bundock, Barnaby Edwards, Beenox, Buddy Giovinazzo, C.J. Henderson, C.L. Werner, Christian Dunn, Christopher Nolan, Christopher Paul Carey, Chuck Wendig, Curtis and Sarah Lyon, Daniel O’Malley, Daniel Polansky, David A. Colón, David Mazzoni, David Moody, E.J. Alvey, Frank Henenlotter, Graeme Hurry, Graham McNeill, Ian Sales, James Edward Raggi IV, Jason A. Wyckoff, Jennifer Brozek and Alan Bundock, Jim Beard, Joseph Goodman, Justin Richards, Lamberto Bava, Lloyd Kaufman, Luke Geddes, Margarita Felices, Mark Valentine, Matt Codd, Michael Cisco, Mike Lee, Mike Shevdon, Myke Cole, Nicholas Briggs, Nick Kyme, P.R. Pope, Peter George, Peter N. Dudar, Philip José Farmer, Robot Entertainment, Rowena Cory Daniells, Shaun Hutson, Simon Guerrier, Stephen Amis, Stephen King, Steve Dean, Tad Williams, Tim Pratt, Tom Mattera, Tom Pollock, Tony Lee, Vicky A. Beaver, William Gallagher, William Lustig and Zach Welhouse.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:36:02 pm by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2012, 07:12:04 am »
The email inviting you to download your copy of Shelflngs #3 went out last night. If you're a BFS member and you didn't receive it, try your Spam or Bulk Mail folders, and if it still doesn't turn up, email secretary@britishfantasysociety.org to check your membership status and ensure the BFS has your current email address on file.

Do feel free to collar me at FantasyCon if you have any questions, complaints or ideas regarding Shelflings. I'll be at the AGM, if it comes up there.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 05:16:37 pm »
A proof of Shelflings #4 is now available to anyone who is interested - members of the indie review team may already have seen it materialise in their Dropbox folder.

I've emailed the review editors with details, but if they're on holiday and you don't hear from them, just drop me a line and I'll send you the link. Corrections in by January 7, please!

I've given in to popular demand and typeset an A5 version, so the proofs and the next issue will be available as a pdf...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »
An email will shortly going out to BFS members with download links for issue four of Shelflings, the BFS's electronic reviews ezine. In response to popular demand there is now a pdf version available as well as the usual mobi and epub ebook versions.

This 150pp issue collects reviews originally appearing on the British Fantasy Society website in October, November and December 2012, by Carl Barker, Catherine Mann, Chris Limb, Craig Knight, David Brzeski, David Rudden, Elloise Hopkins, Glen Mehn, Guy Adams, Jim McLeod, Katy O’Dowd, Laurel Sills, Mario Guslandi, Matthew Johns, Pauline Morgan, Phil Ambler, Phil Lunt, R.A. Bardy, Rebekah Lunt, Steve Dean and Stewart Horn.

They consider the work of (deep breath) A.E. Rought, Alexander Mackendrick, Allen Ashley, Amanda Carlson, Arkane Studios, Benedict Jacka, Billie Sue Mosiman, Brent Weeks, C.L. Werner, Chris Butler, Chris Pauls and Matt Solomon, Chris Wraight, Christian Dunn, Christopher Hivner, Corey Grant, Dale Fabrigar and Everette Wallin, Dan Abnett, Danie Ware, Darius Hinks, David Hair, David Tallerman, Dean M. Drinkel, Eddie Robson, Edward M. Erdelac, Eric Brown, Eric J. Guignard, Esan Sivalinhgam, Evie Manieri, Frank P. Ryan, Freddie Francis, Gary McMahon, Geoff Nelder, Graeme Hurry, Graham McNeill, Guy Adams, Hannah Simpson, Hannu Rajaniemi, Hayao Miyazaki, Jaine Fenn, Jake Arnott, James Swallow, Jason Arnopp, Jasper Fforde, Jeani Rector, Joe Knee, John Ajvide Lindqvist, John Charles Scott, John Dorney, Jonathan L. Howard, Joseph Khan, Juan Martinez Moreno, Julie Armstrong, Kate Griffin, Kevin Connor, Laini Taylor, Laura Lam, Laurell K. Hamilton, Lee Collins, M.E. Brines, Marcel Schwob, Mark Morris, Martin Powell, Martin Smits and Erwin van de Eshof, Massimo Dallamano, Maynard Sims, Michael A. Nickles, Michael Croteau, Nicholas Ahlhelm, Nicholas Briggs, Nicholas McCarthy, Paco Plaza, Percival Constantine, Peter Heller, Peter Mark May, Philip José Farmer, Philip Purser-Hallard, Rachel Kendall, Ramsey Campbell, Rhys Hughes, Robert Hamer, Ross M. Kitson, Rowena Cory Daniells, Saladin Ahmed, Sam Stone, Sarah Newton, Scott K. Andrews, Sean Egan, Stefan Grabinski, Stephen Deas, Stephen Jones, Stevan Mena, Suzanne Johnson, Terry Brooks, The Butcher Brothers, Theresa Derwin, Toshiya Fujita, Val Guest, Will Hill and William Meikle.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:31 am »
Shelflings download links were emailed out to BFS members today. Hope you enjoy it!

If you're a member and you haven't received the email, please contact the BFS secretary to check we have your current email address.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »
Sorry for the lack of Shelflings since January - like I said in the last compilatorial, I had to put it on hold for a bit while getting up and running with the BFAs. But a new issue is in progress, and it's going to be a big one!

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:28 pm »
Sorry for the lack of Shelflings since January - like I said in the last compilatorial, I had to put it on hold for a bit while getting up and running with the BFAs. But a new issue is in progress, and it's going to be a big one!

Having also been busy reading stuff for the BFAs, I suspect it'll probably have less reviews by me than previous issues. :)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2013, 11:50:11 am »
Sounds good Stephen,

Look forward to reading it.

Wayne.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2015, 09:27:12 am »
At long last Shelflings is to return! Our irregular reviews ezine has languished unloved since I took over the British Fantasy Awards in 2013, but I recently developed some nifty ways of producing the reviews section in TQF that I realised could be used for Shelflings too, and now it's back!

Download links for PDF, epub and mobi editions of Shelflings #5 will be included in the August BFS members-only bulletin, collecting the reviews that appeared on the BFS website during June and July, as edited by Craig Lockley, Phil Lunt, Guy Adams and Jay Eales.

Writers and editors whose work is reviewed include Allen Ashley, Angela Slatter, Bev Allen, Brian Aldiss, Chantal Noordeloos, Christopher Paul Carey, Christy Ellynby, Douglas Thompson, Gav Thorpe, J. Douglas Burton, J.W. Nottage, Jim Beard and Duane Spurlock, Joe Abercrombie, John Arthur, John D. Taff, Justin Richards, Kate Farrell, Kirstyn McDermott, Liz De Jager, Mark Alder, Mark Hodder and G.H. Teed, Maynard Sims, Morton Faulkner, Nnedi Okorafor, Pete Rawlik, Peter Harness, Phil Pauley, Philip Purser-Hallard, Rod Rees, Sam Stone, Scott K. Andrews, Tasha O’Neill, Terry Brooks, Tom Lloyd, Torsten Alm, Petter Bengtsson, Jonas Ferry, Mattias Lilja, Tomas Härenstam and Nils Karlén, William Massa, and William Meikle.

The reviews are by Brian Ennis, Carl Barker, Catherine Mann, Christopher Teague, Dave Brzeski, Elloise Hopkins, Mario Guslandi, Matthew Johns, Nigel Robert Wilson, Paul Kane, Rex Sumner, Steve Dean, Stewart Horn and Stuart Douglas.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:37:35 am by Stephen Theaker »