4 (26.7%)
Sisko
1 (6.7%)
Janeway
1 (6.7%)
Archer
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Best Trek captain?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Best Trek captain?
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
There's an article in the Guardian today on the best Star Trek captain - all five of the main captains (no Spock, Sulu etc) are going to be in London at Destination Star Trek this October.

Picard was my favourite captain for a long time, but I find the Next Gen very hard to watch nowadays, and part of that is down to his approach to any problem: have a meeting, and then another meeting, and then another... So Kirk for me.

Who's your favourite?

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Best Trek captain?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
Well, Kirk should be my favourite as he was my first (it's a bit like the question "Who's your favourite Doctor?", the answer to which tends to be your first - though not in my case), but Kirk was so darned sexist! So, for me, it has to be Picard (though I've mistakenly voted for Kirk - dammit, my brain's dead!).

I liked Janeway though, but could never get into DS9 so Sisko is out. Was Archer the one played by that guy who was in Quantum Leap? Yuk! Horrible!
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
I didn't even seriously consider the others..! Janeway was fab, but she didn't have much of a crew to interact with. Not their fault - they were just written too blandly. Sisko had his moments, but in such a dreary, grey programme. I loved the last season of Enterprise, where it started to feel like a proper prequel to the original series, but Archer was just there - Trip should have been captain of that ship, if you ask me.

I don't know about this thing that your first Doctor is the one you like best - in the days when you had Pertwee going for five years, and then Baker for seven, a lot of kids would have stopped watching it by the time they had left, so maybe that's where that idea started. Nowadays, though, my eight-year-old is already up to her third Doctor, and the current one has always been her favourite.

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
A toss up between Picard and movie Kirk - who I totally preferred to TV Kirk.

In fact, the original crew movies are still my favourite era of Trek, beating everything else.

Love DS9 at the time though, although I haven't watched it in years.

Offline solaar

• Initiate
  • Writer. Driver. idiot.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
I am one of those lucky enough to be going to the Trek Con in October, and my friend and I have been arguing which captain we're going to have our photo taken with (it's included in the ticket price).

I've told her it has to be Kirk for me, but then added that I shave my head, and if I stood with Picard it could be a 'before and after' picture. My friend is all about the Next Gen series, so her vote is with Jean Luc.

Kirk was always the man for me, and the man I wanted to be; rash, hot headed, a male chauvinist.

Ahhh... this is why I'm single.

Solaar
lonely heart

Offline Andrew Kniveton

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
It's got to be Picard for me; and not just because I owe my Earl Grey tea drinking to him. I think he represents the kind of person you'd want in command of the Federation's flagship. He was a diplomat and a statesman as much as a tactician and strategist. As much as I liked Kirk I found him a bit too impulsive and a tad imbalanced (compensated for by his marvellously talented crew, of course).

I definitely agree with cavscott's comments, though. Kirk's character seemed to have matured a lot by the Star Trek film era. Perhaps by that time he had become more tempered by the ever-increasing interstellar bureaucracy that appeared to be in place during Picard's tenure.

Although I watched some of the other series, I didn't do so as religiously as The Original Series or The Next Generation. As such, the other captains would never really be in the running for me.

Offline solaar

• Initiate
  • Writer. Driver. idiot.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »

I definitely agree with cavscott's comments, though. Kirk's character seemed to have matured a lot by the Star Trek film era. Perhaps by that time he had become more tempered by the ever-increasing interstellar bureaucracy that appeared to be in place during Picard's tenure.

Or maybe several bouts of interstellar clap taught him a lesson?  ;D

Solaar
clapped out

Offline Andrew Kniveton

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »

Or maybe several bouts of interstellar clap taught him a lesson?  ;D

Solaar
clapped out

Well there is that, of course :D

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
has to be Sisko for me - gutsy and cultured and boy can he sing - I always got the impression that being the reluctant hero was second fiddle to be being a dad which makes the series finale so poignant
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
Star Trek is to me like Star Wars is to the younger generation. I loved the original series so it's Kirk for me. I enjoyed other series but you can't beat the original, even though the sets wobbled and you always knew the latest crew member on an away mission would die horribly.
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
Has to be Kirk despite the sexism and the regular resorting to fisticuffs.
Loved the dissing of Picard.
Wanted to like Janeway but her voice just grated and I couldn't watch it.
My first "Doctor", by the way, was Hartnell but my favourite remains Tom Baker. Any of the first four will do for me. Cannot watch gurning Matt Smith at all.

Offline AndrewThornway

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Mayhex!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »
Got to be Kirk. (WS Kirk, of course.)

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »
I suppose nostalgia has it for me - Kirk. this is surprising given the rotten special effects and wobbly sets.
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons