Author Topic: Fantasy on audio  (Read 2967 times)

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Fantasy on audio
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »
I'm a sucker for audiobooks - always have been.

At the moment I'm working my way through Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Have about 40 minutes of Before They Are Hanged to go before diving into Last Argument of Kings. They are brilliantly read by Steven Pacey (who was Tarrant in Blake's 7 cult TV fans).

I also see from this post at Gavreads - http://gavreads.co.uk/2012/04/reading-and-listening-roundup-absorption-or-the-bull-kills-you-and-the-steel-remains/ - that Gav is currently listening to The Steel Remains. That's been on my list for a while now.

Anyway, wondered what fantasy audio gems you've found along the way.

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy on audio
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:21:57 am »
I found this on Audible, Hard Magic: Book 1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles Larry Correia book 2 is Spellbound, its a sort of Mike Hammer Wizard Tec, and the narrator is good to, I have a few on my wish list as I get one a month. ;D 
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline stewartguitar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:12 am »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:22 am »
Audiobooks weren't really a part of my life, but I got into them by way of reviewing Big Finish and BBC/AudioGo CDs for the BFS and TQF (most of the reviews are here). They're perfect for when I'm working on something that uses my skills but not much of my brain... When I'm not working they tend to make me very sleepy... but it's a really nice kind of sleepiness. I've been listening to the first story in the Jago & Litefoot audio series this month, a spin-off from The Talons of Weng-Chiang, and that was very enjoyable, full of gusto.

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
Jago and Litefoot are superb - one of the best things BF have done IMHO. I've dropped a few hints about my love of them to the Producers for years now, but they've never picked up on them ;-)

I'm just gutted that one of my scripts is in studio today - for Iris Wildthyme not J&L - and I'm not there to hear it performed. Boo. Sob etc.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »
Congratulations on that, though I can imagine your pain! Does Katy Manning play her in the audios? I thought she was great as Iris in The Wormery.