Author Topic: Greetings and hello from England  (Read 4931 times)

Offline CJOverend

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Greetings and hello from England
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:49:21 am »
Hi,

My name's Chris Overend and I like to read and write horror stories. I've recently joined the society as a paid member, so I look forward to speaking to —and meeting— some of you over the coming years.

I'm sure I've read some of your material if you are writers, and if you aren't, I'm sure we share some of the same likes and dislikes!

Chris

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings and hello from England
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:33:42 am »
Hi Chris,

What kind of horror stories do you write?

All the best,

Cav

Offline CJOverend

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:23:32 pm »
I've done a few supernatural horror ones, but I tend in the main to stick to real life material.

http://spinetinglers.co.uk/ReadStory2884.aspx for an example (they took my manuscript formatting and posted it as-was, rather than interpreting the underlined portions as italics).

What about you?

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:16:04 pm »
Mainly official tie-in material at the moment - Doctor Who, Blake's 7 and so on - although that is changing soon...

Offline CJOverend

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »
I've met David Howe a couple of times at book signings, and I think he had something to do with Doctor Who tie-ins, if I remember correctly. Fascinating stuff.

What do you think of the most recent Doctor Whos? Do you think they stand up to the originals?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:03:32 am »
Welcome to the BFS forums!

Yes, David Howe wrote and co-wrote some excellent Doctor Who books, e.g. the seven handbooks for the original Doctors, and Doctor Who: The Television Companion, which is one of the most-read books in my house (probably second only to the Slings and Arrows Guide) - and his company Telos published an official series of novellas.

Offline CJOverend

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:14 am »
Hi Stephen!

Nice to speak to you on here! I met David and Sam twice at Sam's book signings, although I did buy one of David's too, which he also signed. I wouldn't mind reading some of the Doctor Who stuff, as it is proving very popular and I like the franchise as a whole.

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:40:51 pm »
Greetings right back at you, Chris!

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:51 pm »
Hi, Chris! Haven't I seen you on the Ramsey Campbell Message Board too?  ;)

Doctor Who books, eh? Would you like me to tell you all about my collection of signed Target novels? Better not though, as everyone here would think I was some kind of sad old "anorak"!
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:11 am »
What do you think of the most recent Doctor Whos? Do you think they stand up to the originals?

I think they are the originals. I don't really see much of a line between them. Yes, the budget / effects and so on have moved on, but I see the series as one ongoing entity.

Doctor Who has always changed and adapted and moved with the times. For me, The Wedding of River Song is just as much Doctor Who as The Daemons or Remembrance of the Daleks or Slipback or Colditz or Love and War or the Scarlet Empress. It doesn't mean I like every moment of it. Every era of Doctor Who on the TV, in books, comics and audios has produced stories that I love and some that I loath, but it's all Who.

I just think its amazing that we're about to celebrate the show's 50th Anniversary. I always knew there would be some kind of anniversary in 2013, I just never imagined it would be as big as it is about to be.

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:05 am »
Doctor Who books, eh? Would you like me to tell you all about my collection of signed Target novels? Better not though, as everyone here would think I was some kind of sad old "anorak"!

I think you're in fine company then Caroline!

C

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:26:52 am »
No signed Target novels, but Ranjna got me signed copies of Who on Earth Is Tom Baker and The Boy Who Kicked Pigs.

Offline CJOverend

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 09:21:00 am »
Hi Caroline!

I thought it was you posting elsewhere. I am a fan of Ramsey, but I saw a recommendation from Stephen Theaker to join, so here I am. Thanks for the advice Stephen; there is certainly a vibrant community on here.

I've always liked Doctor Who, but I've never really followed it closely, just watched them on TV. I think the modern ones superb. My wife is from the US, and they have a massive following over there too now, and not just a cult viewership, but primetime.

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:18 am »
I've always liked Doctor Who, but I've never really followed it closely, just watched them on TV. I think the modern ones superb. My wife is from the US, and they have a massive following over there too now, and not just a cult viewership, but primetime.

I think its amazing how Who has broken the American market in the last year or so. An overnight success that only took 48 years! ;-)