Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 4039 times)

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
So then, who's watching the new series?

Just caught up on this weeks. Now that was a riot in the streets. Forget about looting DK Max. These guys rip people's arms off.

What are your thoughts on the new series?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:23:19 AM »
No Sky Atlantic on Virgin Media, unfortunately... Will have to wait for the DVD.

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
It's absolutely worth it Stephen. Fantastic to finally see a TV series take fantasy seriously...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
It's absolutely worth it Stephen. Fantastic to finally see a TV series take fantasy seriously...

Game of Thrones is amazingly good. I can't believe just how good it is. It has all the visual qualities of a movie with the in depth characterisation and motivations which only a TV serialisation can bring. It does for fantasy what The Sopranos did for gangster stories.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
I loved the first series (we had the Sky Player on Xbox then). Did a short review of it here. Probably my second favourite programme at the moment after Doctor Who - but we'll have to be patient!

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »

Although I am enjoying series two even more than the first, I still feel the fantasy elements are a little few and far between (having said that: there's certainly more of the traditional "fantasy" - i.e. sword & sorcery - in the new series). And I love the moral ambiguity of many characters: no one's wholly good or wholly bad - they do what they must for their own cause (although, again, Tyrian Lannister is developing into the programme's moral centre, interestingly).
Mike Chinn

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »
Although I am enjoying series two even more than the first, I still feel the fantasy elements are a little few and far between (having said that: there's certainly more of the traditional "fantasy" - i.e. sword & sorcery - in the new series). And I love the moral ambiguity of many characters: no one's wholly good or wholly bad - they do what they must for their own cause (although, again, Tyrian Lannister is developing into the programme's moral centre, interestingly).

Interestingly that's the current trend in fantasy. Humans to the fore, magic and monsters to the rear, underlining the world but not dominating.

Same in the likes of Abercrombie too. The further you get in the books the more magic you get.

Its a challenge for a writer like me that loves his monsters. I'm currently plotting a new novel and have to keep reminding myself that less is more!

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »
And isn't Tyrian fantastic. The only character in the piece that is really likeable. You wouldn't have thought that in episode one!

I went to a George R. R. Martin talk in Bath last month - here's my blog post about it http://cavanscott.com/2012/04/george-r-r-martin-and-overnight-success/ . It was great to see so many people who had discovered fantasy because of the series. Now we just have to get them to join the BFS!

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
Just watched the final two episodes of the second series and, if the fantasy elements were few and far between earlier, things definitely took some big strides forwards, ending in one of the biggest, most riveting cliffhangers I have ever seen. No spoilers, but the fantasy elements are certainly coming to the fore for the start of the third series. Not that these are the only things about the last two episodes, which have an amazing number of dramatic developments in them. First class.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Just watched the final two episodes of the second series and, if the fantasy elements were few and far between earlier, things definitely took some big strides forwards, ending in one of the biggest, most riveting cliffhangers I have ever seen. No spoilers, but the fantasy elements are certainly coming to the fore for the start of the third series. Not that these are the only things about the last two episodes, which have an amazing number of dramatic developments in them. First class.

Oh yes. I didn't realise how involved I'd become in the series until the last few minutes of the penultimate episode; then I found myself shouting "What? No!" at the screen. Hats off to all involved (even if there was a little touch of "One bound and they were free" at the end). Really looking forward to season 3, now.
Mike Chinn

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
One of the incredible things about this series is how many narrative threads it keeps going and how many characters it has for us to be involved with. Not only that, but with a bare few exceptions so far, there is something to like or at least to feel sympathetic about everyone. There are few outright villains. Even people we wouldn't personally trust can make surprising gestures to others in the storyline. This gives both a feeling of realism to the narrative and a sense of unease - you never know who is going to survive or meet a cruel fate.

It certainly keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
You're right - it's largely brilliant. I do worry about the constant addition of characters and threads, though - simply because I think that the more indepth the show gets the more it will lose the larger, less fantasy-enthusiastic audience. I know LOST was cryptic at times - and heavily criticised (I loved it), but I did notice that - the ending aside - the series lost more viewers the more supernatural/fantastic its plotline got.

Anyway....LOVING Game of Thrones right now - and especially the new translator girl for DT: lovely!
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency

Offline Ken Magee

• Reader & writer
  • Initiate
  • Fantasy lover - reading, reviewing and writing.
    • View Profile
    • Ken Magee Author
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
Season 4 is brilliant. My only complaint is that we haven't seen enough of Dany and her dragons... but that's coming very soon!

I probably have a particular soft spot for the series because a lot of it is filmed near where I live in Northern Ireland. I organised a tour of the studio for my son (who's an even bigger fan than I am)... here's House Magee on the Iron Throne.

Ancient magic meets the Internet
The Trilogy - laugh while civilisation comes to an end.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 07:21:12 AM »
Cool photo! I'm still enjoying Game of Thrones a lot, but it feels like the pace of events has slowed since the first year - walks from one place to another or spells in jail now seem to last entire seasons. Or maybe it just feels slower because we watched seasons two and three on DVD, a couple of episodes a night, and now we're back to watching it on TV weekly.

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
Major spoiler regarding the death of a certain character who dies this season after the link.