Author Topic: Estronomicon eZine  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Screaming Dreams

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Dreams
Estronomicon eZine
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Comments needed to go with an article in the next Estronomicon issue... What is your fave 'found footage' movie and why? All comments (well, all 'sensible' comments anyway!) will be included in the issue, along with a small pic of yourself. Either leave your comment below or e-mail me at the usual address. Thanks!

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
Re: Estronomicon eZine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
I wouldn't call it a favourite by any means - in fact, some of the film-making was downright evil when it came to the treatment of animals - but probably the most striking film in the genre has to be 'Cannibal Holocaust'. Every found-footage film since then has felt as if it has just been playing with the genre. 'Cannibal Holocaust' is extremely brutal and graphic; so much so that director Ruggero Deodato was forced to produce the cast after it had been released in order to prove that they hadn't been slaughtered. The plot basically concerns a film crew who go in search of Amazonian cannibals and who commit atrocities in order to have something to film along the way.

It's probably fair to say that if you haven't already heard of this film then you are highly unlikely to enjoy it. It's one of the bleakest things that you will ever see.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
For me, it's The Last Broadcast. This pre-dated The Blair Witch Project but was released quietly without all the fanfare and hype which Blair Witch received. It was the first time I'd seen a film done that way - using the 'found footage' style - and I felt it was extremely unique and very powerful storytelling thanks to that.

It's been a while since I've watched either of these films, and I'd have to see them again today to find out if The Last Broadcast really was better than The Blair Witch Project. But certainly I have memories of this as a great film which terrified the viewer by suggestion rather than by the use of 'blood and gore' special effects.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
I do mean to add to this, but until then I'll point you at Gary McMahon's site regarding some Meme Horror...

http://www.garymcmahon.com/

I hope Gary doesn't mind.  I've read his stories, so I really really hope he doesn't mind.  He has a dark mind.

Offline Wroclaw

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
Comments needed to go with an article in the next Estronomicon issue... What is your fave 'found footage' movie and why? All comments (well, all 'sensible' comments anyway!) will be included in the issue, along with a small pic of yourself. Either leave your comment below or e-mail me at the usual address. Thanks!

It's gotta be "Cloverfield" or "Monsters" really, hasn't it? ..... or am I misremembering Monsters, was it hand-held at all? The remarkable thing is how, when the action is done well, the brain ceases to notice the camera wobble.