Author Topic: What have you been listening to?  (Read 6598 times)

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
Re: What have you been listening to?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Back on topic: episodes of the old Shadow radio series (some starring Orson Welles as Lamont Cranston/The Shadow) on - wait for it - cassette... They're wonderfully hammy; the only music is provided by dramatic organ chords; and the original sponsor's ads are included. Magic.

They sound fantastic, Mike. Jealous!

greenpen

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
It annoys the crap out of me.  I thought only kids and psychopaths wrote with coloured crayons
Nope. Maybe all these folks are psychopaths?
Dyslexic children are often less confident than non-dyslexics and find that work marked in the traditional red ink is intimidating. Hence their teachers are trained to mark work in green ink, and also make comments for improvement, rather than highlighting errors, to build up the child's self-esteem.
Sir George Mansfield Smith-Cumming, the former Royal Navy officer who established the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), also known as MI6, used to sign all his letters in green ink, a practice the current head of the spy agency still follows today.
All Royal Navy and USN admirals write in green ink.
Pablo Neruda wrote in green ink.
Virginia Woolf wrote in green ink, and, I think, also George Orwell but I could be wrong there. I'm following a long honourable tradition. And I don't have any crayons.

greenpen

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
I'm surprised by just how many writers I've associated with over the years listen to heavy metal while they're working. Not my thing at all. How in the name of all the Gods does one obtain inspiration from banging, thumping and yowling, or whatever it is those metal people call music?

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
It annoys the crap out of me.  I thought only kids and psychopaths wrote with coloured crayons
Nope. Maybe all these folks are psychopaths?
Dyslexic children are often less confident than non-dyslexics and find that work marked in the traditional red ink is intimidating. Hence their teachers are trained to mark work in green ink, and also make comments for improvement, rather than highlighting errors, to build up the child's self-esteem.
Sir George Mansfield Smith-Cumming, the former Royal Navy officer who established the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), also known as MI6, used to sign all his letters in green ink, a practice the current head of the spy agency still follows today.
All Royal Navy and USN admirals write in green ink.
Pablo Neruda wrote in green ink.
Virginia Woolf wrote in green ink, and, I think, also George Orwell but I could be wrong there. I'm following a long honourable tradition. And I don't have any crayons.

When I was in the Internal Audit Department at British Aerospace we were the only people allowed to use green ink. I haven't since.

greenpen

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
Oh wow, not sure the easiest way to answer this question. I'm a DJ on two online stations, and get sent/recommended music by the cartload EVERY day. This week has mostly been a metal-heavy week, as I'm off to the Download festival tomorrow.

I do tend to stick to DJ mixes and soundtracks to films while I write.

Although - and I have little street cred to worry about - I still love Dire Straits to this day, and often have Knopfler plucking the strings in the background...

Solaar
a Sultan of Swing
I'm with you on film soundtracks. Some of the films scores outlive the films. I love the gadfly and Gabriel's oboe, amongst many others, but the films have largely been forgotten. The music to the searchers is an exception though, I think.

greenpen

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

[/quote]

When I was in the Internal Audit Department at British Aerospace we were the only people allowed to use green ink. I haven't since.
[/quote]I heard about that. Something to do with photocopiers I was told?

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »
I'm dyslexic and I find the green font really annoying

greenpen

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
Really?

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
grow up

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
I think the Moderator should deal with this greenpen - whoever greenpen is.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

greenpen

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
I think the Moderator should deal with this greenpen - whoever greenpen is.
Why should I be dealt with? I've done nothing wrong as far as I am aware. I'm not the one attacking others and then making facetious comments. I paid my dues like anybody else. I've attacked nobody here. If they don't like me they can just ignore my posts, simple as that. I'm here to interact with other writers, readers and fellow members, not to be told what I can and can't do by other than those in charge because I dare to be different. I fought for this country in order for people to be free and as eccentric as they choose to be. What's next after my choice of ink? My animated GIF avatar? Where does it all end? They'll be wanting to invade Poland next, but I've got books to write so I won't be going.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Right so that link to that racist blog post was an accident, OK my bad

greenpen

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
Right so that link to that racist blog post was an accident, OK my bad
Grow up and stop trying to wriggle off your own hook! Your true colours seem to be showing, and they sure as heck aint Green.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »
Really?

I thought this post worth the Moderator at least having a word with you  No mention of you leaving.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
Not trying to wriggle out of anything. 

So is this you?

http://britishfreedom.org/