Author Topic: What have you been listening to?  (Read 6637 times)

greenpen

Re: What have you been listening to?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
I'm dyslexic and I find the green font really annoying
Really?

I thought this post worth the Moderator at least having a word with you  No mention of you leaving.
That was a one line, measured response to sarcasm. If you read my previous post that the sarcasm was addressed to you'll perhaps see what I mean. Sorry if you didn't get it. Did I say I was leaving? I've only just got here and there's far too many lovely people to talk to.

williemeikle

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
I'm not dyslexic, and I too find the green font really annoying.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
Sorry so are you part of this fascist group or not? 

greenpen

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
I'm not part of any fascist group. Crawl under your stone.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
so you're not the Stephen tweed from this group?

williemeikle

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
I'm not part of any fascist group. Crawl under your stone.

Glad to hear it.  They're a real bunch of bastards that lot.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
I'm dyslexic and I find the green font really annoying
Really?

I thought this post worth the Moderator at least having a word with you  No mention of you leaving.
That was a one line, measured response to sarcasm. If you read my previous post that the sarcasm was addressed to you'll perhaps see what I mean. Sorry if you didn't get it. Did I say I was leaving? I've only just got here and there's far too many lovely people to talk to.

There are indeed lots of lovely people around here. I'm not one of them, admittedly, but then neither are you. It turns my stomach that anyone might think we're pals just because you're responding to my posts on a thread. Seeing you post here on our forum is bad enough, and yet seeing you post here in green ink somehow makes it even worse. If you really must contribute to my threads, using black ink would be ace. Thanks in advance for being more considerate!

greenpen

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »

There are indeed lots of lovely people around here. I'm not one of them, admittedly, but then neither are you. It turns my stomach that anyone might think we're pals just because you're responding to my posts on a thread. Seeing you post here on our forum is bad enough, and yet seeing you post here in green ink somehow makes it even worse. If you really must contribute to my threads, using black ink would be ace. Thanks in advance for being more considerate!
[/quote]I care not what you classify yourself as but don't think I am anything like yourself.  It brings my flesh up in goosebumps at the thought people might think we're pals, as you put it. And kindly desist from judging me by your own standards. So you are also saying you don't know why my posting in green ink brings out your nasty side? Hmm! That's rather twee. I don't wish to contribute to your threads but the fact is that once posted they become a matter for public consumption, so I wouldn't be replying to you where I could possibly avoid doing so. And I don't have as much time on my hands to start multiple threads as you seem to. As for my choice of colour, I don't believe there is anything in the rules, If there were then perhaps the change colour function would have been disabled long ago? I appreciate that others here may make reasonable thought out objections on here but when It comes to cyber bullying I never give in to bullies of any kind. I myself have never attacked anyone on this forum, nor tried to dish the dirt on them from elsewhere for totally unrelated subjects having absolutely no bearing on the BFS forum. I'm here to interact and learn with from and with other writers and readers, not Flashman and co, rather Stalky and co. I can see plainly you and your pal have nothing fresh to teach me here aside from the art of cyber bullying. Thanks in advance for leaving me alone.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »

Offline LeeH

• BFS Committee
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • BFS
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »
Guys,

This thread started out as a polite (and interesting) discussion about things people were listening to, but has devolved into something else, entirely.

Greenpen has at no time in this thread said, or suggested anything bad. His politics - whatever they may be - are irrelevant to this discussion. The green font is irritating, I agree, but the level of aggression in response to it is disproportionate.

Please bring the topic back on track, and away from personal attacks, or the thread will be locked.

And Greenpen - while the use of a green font is not at all against the forum rules, you can see that other members of the community are feeling annoyed by it. Perhaps in the spirit of community and compromise you might consider changing it. Your choice, of course.
--------
FantasyCon 2014 Co-Chair

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
I've been listening to the 1978 album by X-Ray Spex, "Germ Free Adolescents", which I play on a regular basis but was recently prompted to do again after watching the re-run of an old Arena programme on Poly Styrene (still available in BBC iplayer, I believe). I've blogged about it here: http://andrew-hook.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline frank

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
How acceptable are a person’s views on this forum to either allow inclusion or exclusion?  I was prompted to write this after reading about the racist ‘Green Pen’.  It was heartening to see him quickly chased off, but this drew me back to David Riley. I realize he has some standing in the genre community, but I fail to see how this shouldn’t be addressed once again. I’ve been informed that Riley’s views are kept off the forum, and that he’s a good writer. Are there requirements in establishing what constitutes an acceptable racist? No, of course not, so why has the subject been run into the ground time and time again. I have a lot of respect for many people who post here and elsewhere in the horror and fantasy community, but I am saddened that Riley’s views are somehow tolerated among people who themselves by admission are completely aghast at such beliefs. I do admit that there are many people who have spoken out about this, but there are also plenty of people who would wish this matter wasn’t brought up. I have always, perhaps naively, believed in the genre and its writers as people who would never compromise their beliefs in order to maintain some illusory state of agreement. So, should I just bugger off , or will there be any attempt made to address this matter? With respect, Frank Duffy.

Offline LeeH

• BFS Committee
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • BFS
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
*sigh*

Thread now locked, as I said it would be in my last post, as I'm unsure how the discussion of the political beliefs of another person (who was uninvolved in the original discussion) relates to what music we're currently listening to.

Are there requirements in establishing what constitutes an acceptable racist?
Of course there aren't, and if anyone draws my or any other moderator's attention to posts which are offensive, we will take appropriate action. Just click on the "Report this thread" link at the bottom of the post.

I'm not willing to take any form of action against a member because they may or may not have beliefs that we disagree with, that may or may not be expressed elsewhere. If offensive statements are brought to this forum, we can do something about it, but I do not believe it is appropriate for us to prevent people from talking about topics that are of legitimate interest on the BFS forums. If someone who offends you posts something inoffensive here, you have the option of not replying to them, or not referring to them in your replies further down the thread.
--------
FantasyCon 2014 Co-Chair