Author Topic: Winterbirth / Bloodheir (Brian Ruckley)  (Read 2786 times)

Offline arkadian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Arkadian Scribe
Winterbirth / Bloodheir (Brian Ruckley)
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:15 am »
Has anybody read either or both of these books? Stumbled across both of them in hardback in a charity shop yesterday going for a song and couldn't resist, especially as they're both in mint condition. Trouble is when I got home and read the reviews on Amazon. a lot of them seemed to be slaughtering the first book, citing ridiculously difficult names to pronounce, lack of humour and slow paced as the book's main problems. Anyone got a different slant on them, because if not I think I might consign them to the "doubt I'll ever read it " pile and start on the Fiona McIntosh book I also bought instead?

Jeff
Destiny of the sword (The chronicles of Arkadia - Book one)

www.jeffajones.blogspot.co.uk

www.chroniclesofarkadia.co.uk

Offline neilw

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • neilwilliamson
Re: Winterbirth / Bloodheir (Brian Ruckley)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:02:42 pm »
I enjoyed them, Jeff. Especially the first one. They tend towards realism instead of high adventure, and the irruptions of magic are limited, but that's a positive for me.

Didn't enjoy the Fiona McIntosh I read nearly so much.

Offline arkadian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Arkadian Scribe
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
That's interesting, Neil, thanks. Perhaps I'll give them a try after all. I've read the Valisar trilogy by Mcintosh and did enjoy those and was about to start the Quickening trilogy with Myrren's gift. Which ones did you read and not like out of interest?

Jeff
Destiny of the sword (The chronicles of Arkadia - Book one)

www.jeffajones.blogspot.co.uk

www.chroniclesofarkadia.co.uk

Offline neilw

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • neilwilliamson
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:33:26 am »
Only the one... "Odalisque". It was fine as far as it went but what annoyed me about it was that it was structured very much as "first of a trilogy", to the extent that it felt open-ended with not really very much at all being resolved by the end of that book. Therefore, unsatisfying.