Author Topic: AGM?  (Read 16397 times)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: AGM?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:16 pm »
Interesting stuff, Stephen - thanks for that.  :)

. . . looking for ways to be a little more involved. Any thoughts folks?

Well, Mr Despot, I believe that Phil Lunt, the News Editor (which I used to be, but not any more), will be looking for people to help out with website content, news editing, events, that kind of thing. I'm sticking around to help out here, but I think he'll be looking for other people too. That might be something you'd like to get involved with?
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »

The best novel category at the awards was split into two entirely separate categories for best horror and best fantasy, following Ramsey Campbell's proposal.

Note quite. It was agreed to create two separate shortlists -- the two categories already exist.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »
No, Peter - there were previously two awards made out of one category:

"In the category of Best Novel there shall be one award for Best Fantasy Novel and one award for Best Horror Novel."

Now there are two categories.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:36:23 pm by Stephen Theaker »

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 01:30:57 pm »
"No accounts were ready, and the treasurer wasn't present. There had been problems accessing the BFS bank account. A short EGM will be held at the next open night to present the accounts, which are also intended to appear in the December journal. The special publications bank account still exists, but has a zero balance."

Well I did volunteer for the post earlier this year when the current treasurer temporarily stepped down, only to retract her resignation later and decide to stay on.

That offer is still there if the treasurer does decide to relinquish the post. I have had over 40 years of experience in finance and am currently the accounts manager for a firm of solicitors. As always, I am ready to help the BFS in any way I can.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 01:47:00 pm »
No, Peter - there were previously two awards made out of one category:

"In the category of Best Novel there shall be one award for Best Fantasy Novel and one award for Best Horror Novel."

Now there are two categories.

Then why didn't you challenge Ramsey when he distinguished category from shortlist?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:08 pm »
Then why didn't you challenge Ramsey when he distinguished category from shortlist?

I think I did, but there was a bit of a clamour at that point. It's not as if it makes a difference: he was slightly wrong about the current rules, but that doesn't affect what the rule actually was, and it's clear what he proposed as the new rule.

The proposal on the agenda had it right: "To expand the current Best Novel awards category (from which 2 winners are chosen) to two separate categories - one for Horror, one for Fantasy".

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »
I was just reading the current awards constitution, and a bit of a problem has come up. I hadn't realised there was now such a wide-ranging rule against the awards admin's involvement with nominees:

The Awards Administrator may not be associated (either by writing, publishing or editing) with work nominated in any category.

So that means, now I'm awards admin, Interzone, Black Static and TTA Press are all ineligible for next year's awards. And any magazine, anthology or small press that ever publishes my writing will also automatically become ineligible. That'll look good on submission letters...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 06:27:55 pm »
I've emailed Lee to ask for advice. Maybe I could propose an amendment to make it "significantly involved with" instead of "associated", or something like that, so I won't panic just yet. Quitting after one day would be a record even for me...

Offline Phillip Spencer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Nightspore
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:55 pm »
... now I'm awards admin, Interzone, Black Static and TTA Press are all ineligible for next year's awards. And any magazine, anthology or small press that ever publishes my writing will also automatically become ineligible. That'll look good on submission letters...
Stephen,
My (admittedly non-expert) view on this is that for magazines like Interzone, it would depend on the extent of your editorial involvement. For other magazines where you are not editorially involved I would see it that your own stories would be ineligible for an award but other stories would not be. If you had just one story in an anthology you did not edit it would be unreasonable to exclude the anthology or other stories from being nominated.
Just my two-pennies-worth. I'm just pleased you stepped into the role yesterday.
Cheers
Phillip

Offline @mangozoid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:17 am »

There were other interesting ideas and discussions, but these are the things I noted down.

Indeed, an excellent summary, although I'd like to add that there was some discussion about supporting new writers either with their own publication (New Voices?) or through articles, essays, masterclasses, lectures, etc. from respected authors like Ramsey Campbell, etc. at future events and/or standalone locales. The general suggestion was that the BFS is relatively flush, and authors could be paid for this kind of stuff at a reasonable rate?

I took up the point afterwards in conversation with Graham Joyce, Sarah Pinborough, and Joe Abercrombie, and both the latter were happy to do masterclasses for a reasonable fee (the former creative writing, the latter dancing classes... lol) -- And I should add that I supported Graham Joyce's view that BFS members shouldn't have to pay for this kind of thing if they've already paid a membership fee, whereas non-BFS members would probably be willing to pay a reasonable fee to listen to 'famous authors' talk about writing/teaching/process. There was also a valid point made that this sort of thing deserves larger audiences than the nominal 10-12 people that were allowed to register for individual masterclasses this year -- My own opinion? Give them a room of 60-80 people to preach to (all pre-registered), and you will have yourself some very special lectures indeed (which could, feasibly, be transcribed/published at a later date as part of a potential series of advisory podcasts/workbooks).

Alex (Twitter: @mangozoid)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 11:22:32 am »
Brilliant idea, Alex. I hope they move forward with something like this.  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40:41 am »
Phillip - I think that may well be what was intended, but I have to go by what's written in the rules... I've left it with Lee and we'll see what happens. There's going to be an EGM at the Xmas open night so a change could be proposed there. If it comes down to it I'd have to choose Interzone over the BFS job, just because of the unfairness to them, but I hope it won't come to that.

Alex - there's an excellent venue in the centre of Birmingham which would be perfect for that kind of talk, The Priory Rooms (http://www.theprioryrooms.co.uk/). I'm not sure of costs but small presses like Nine Arches Press hold readings and launches there, so presumably it's not outrageously expensive.

With regard to the New Voices idea, it sounded to me like the kind of project that would be perfect as a BFS ebook or member-led project. As people said, the journal is open to members and new writers, but there's a good argument for having a publication that is *only* open to submissions from members. Like anything with the BFS, I'm sure it could happen if someone cares enough to make it happen.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:20 am »
Having had another read of them, the new awards rules say changes can *only* be made at an AGM, so changing them at an EGM isn't an option...

Offline @mangozoid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 01:04:46 pm »

Alex - there's an excellent venue in the centre of Birmingham which would be perfect for that kind of talk, The Priory Rooms (http://www.theprioryrooms.co.uk/). I'm not sure of costs but small presses like Nine Arches Press hold readings and launches there, so presumably it's not outrageously expensive.

With regard to the New Voices idea, it sounded to me like the kind of project that would be perfect as a BFS ebook or member-led project. As people said, the journal is open to members and new writers, but there's a good argument for having a publication that is *only* open to submissions from members. Like anything with the BFS, I'm sure it could happen if someone cares enough to make it happen.

Thank you Stephen, alas I am currently committed to redesigning and repackaging the BSFA's Forum magazine for writers, and along with doing BFS book reviews and my own writing efforts, so I don't think I'd be the best man to take up this idea, although it'd be nice to see it reaching a wider audience (via the BFS Journal for example) in the hopes that somebody would take up the baton. I will support them as much as possible, and probably be willing to do the layout, etc. if it came to compiling something of this sort.

I do believe there is potential in the idea of a New Voices BFS publication, open exclusively to BFS Members who haven't been published before, but I do have to say that the quality may be suspect, and bottom-line: "If it's good enough for a New Voices anthology, why isn't it good enough for a spot in the BFS Journal?" would seem to be a valid argument for the naysayers...

Alex Bardy (Twitter: @mangozoid)

Offline @mangozoid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 01:05:27 pm »
You will note that I have managed to change my forum name to @mangozoid, this works very well for me... lol... ;-)