Author Topic: The Hobbit - only a week until the second instalment!!  (Read 2245 times)

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
The Hobbit - only a week until the second instalment!!
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »
Wow, what a brilliant film. I really enjoyed every minute. The best part was Riddles in the Dark, between Gollum and Bilbo. Absolutely brilliant. It does deviate in parts from the book, but if you can accept that then it really is worth seeing. The added scenes are very entertaining. Radagast is not brilliant, a little too cartoon like. Otherwise, a very good film.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:03:44 PM by davidjb »
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons

Offline Zodeak

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
I liked the Hobbit. But...

I felt that the feel of the film differed wildly from the feel of the book. Where the book was steady, measured, tentative (mirroring Bilbo's personality) the film was fast-paced, kinetic and hyped. Bilbo didn't do much fighting in the book; Bilbo did a lot of fighting in the film. Thorin Oakenshield I thought was a little less serious in the book than compared to the film.

I liked the higher frame-rate.

I liked the special effects.

I liked the score.

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
I agree the book was very different. It was also very special. One of the biggest differences was the trolls. In the book Bilbo picks one of their pockets and something talks (I can't remember what it was) and the trolls capture the dwarfs one at a time. I still liked the film though and the Riddles in the Dark was exceptional.

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
Re: The Hobbit 2 - Desolation of Smaug
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
The anticipation makes the wait well worth it. I don't know about you but it's worth savouring the next few days. Only a week until the Desolation of Smaug - the Hobbit 2.

http://www.thehobbit.com/

I am wondering what will be left for the third film, assuming there will be one. I've watched the extended edition of the first film and that was brilliant. How many times will you see the new film?

I was deeply upset when I typed Silmarillion and movie to find links to supposed movie pages, only to find it was a debate about whether Jackson would ever make this epic movie. Wow - what a challenge that would be. Bring it on, I say. To watch Beren hold out his arm and declare words to the effect, behold in my hand I hold a Silmaril - would have me reaching for a tissues. I also loved the tale of Turin Turinbar. That tale is so dark and sorrowful and yet at the same time moving. I would love to see the High Elves marching for the first time in Middle Earth as the sun rises for the first time, and flowers bloom beneath their marching feet. Then there's Glaurung, the first dragon, and Ungoliant, Shelob's distant relative.

I can but dream.

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
Re: The Hobbit - only a week until the second instalment!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
Saw the Desolation of Smaug today. Absolutely awesome. Yes, it deviates from the book but I suppose that was to be expected given its length. Very entertaining if not completely true to the original tale. CGI and general cinematography is amazing. What a great film.

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Wow, what a brilliant film. I really enjoyed every minute. The best part was Riddles in the Dark, between Gollum and Bilbo. Absolutely brilliant. It does deviate in parts from the book, but if you can accept that then it really is worth seeing. The added scenes are very entertaining. Radagast is not brilliant, a little too cartoon like. Otherwise, a very good filmography.
My favourite chapter in the Hobbit is Riddles  going to the Imax  tomorrow😁to see it as I did with the first one. ;D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Imax - so jealous. That must be brilliant. You may find there's too much going on though. Two visits??

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:34 AM »
Seen the first one 3 times Imax, then 3D & 2D local cinema.

This time Imax and 3D local cinema  ;D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
Seen at the Cinema in Maidstone and Edinburgh (separate days) and watched the extended version of the first film twice. Brilliant movies. Still jealous of those who saw it on Imax!!