Author Topic: The Alchemy Press Book of Astrologica  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
The Alchemy Press Book of Astrologica
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:16 am »
You will probably have seen the Alchemy Press call for submissions on the news page of the BFS website. Peter Coleborn’s award-winning imprint is publishing three new anthologies this Autumn.
This is just to let everybody know that I am editing “The Alchemy Press Book of Astrologica”. Submissions opened on 1 January 2013 and close at midnight UK time on 31 March 2013. Further requirements, click this hyperlink: http://alchemypress.blogspot.co.uk/p/astrologica.html
I will also be posting an irregular blog on the progress of the anthology, complete with tips on any changes to guidelines, any star signs that I’m missing, and so forth. The link to the first of these is here: http://alchemypress.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/astrologica-update.html
Looking forward to reading everyone’s astrologically themed stories.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: The Alchemy Press Book of Astrologica
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:27:11 am »
A quick update on “The Alchemy Press Book of Astrologica”. I have made one formal acceptance. Submission window is still open and I am happy to receive more submissions. Go to www.alchemypress.blogspot.co.uk for further details, where you can also get full submissions details.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:55 am »
I was hoping to write something for this, but I'm still waiting for an idea!

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:43 am »
That's so unlike you, Andrew. I had expected to receive a submission by now.
For what it's worth, I'm advising people to start with their own star sign and see what ideas spring from there.
Or undertake some research into history and mythology. I know you can do that - I remember "By the Time I Get to Phoenix".

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:33:10 pm »
My latest update on this anthology is on the Alchemy Press blogspot at: http://alchemypress.blogspot.co.uk/
You still have time to send me your submissions. Don’t wait around for a favourable horoscope. Email me on: editorastrologica (at) hotmail.co.uk

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
This is the latest news on the book, posted on the Alchemy Press blogspot yesterday:
Thank you for all the wonderful submissions so far. Just a quick update on what I am still looking for. Which is: I would like to receive more submissions around the following star signs – Taurus, Scorpio, Sagittarius and Capricorn. Also, a couple more for Cancer and Virgo would be helpful. Length 3000 to 8000 words. As many submissions have been in the 3000 to 5000 range, I am quite keen to receive stories towards the upper limit. So, folks, just two weeks to go. Submissions to me at: editorastrologica@hotmail.co.uk

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »
Had plans for a Taurus one but the Urban Mythic submission is keeping me busy and I don't think I'll make the deadline, alas.  I'll still try, of course.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »
Hi Ray,
Yep - still looking for more Taurus submissions. I may possibly be extending the deadline so watch this space or email me on editorastrologica@hotmail.co.uk

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »
Thanks Allen - sent you an email.  Just mentioning it here in case it goes right to spam.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 01:38:39 pm »
Thanks, Ray, I have replied to your email.
In the meantime, for everyone else's attention:
I have had a late upsurge in submissions but I have also corresponded with a few authors who have requested an extension. So, in the spirit of fair play, I am extending the closing date for submissions for everybody to midnight Sunday 14 April 2013.
In other news, you will have noticed that we have now settled on the anthology title as "Astrologica: Stories of the Zodiac". And, to answer another query that regularly comes up, I am essentially looking for one story per star sign. Leo is already taken, for definite.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:55 pm »
I see that Peter Coleborn, my publisher, is also posting reminders for this anthology; which is great. So, in case you missed the news: the deadline has been extended to midnight BST 14 April 2013.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:23:29 pm »
Allen Ashley, editor of forthcoming anthology Astrologica, reports:

Far away from prying eyes, the picking and choosing for this anthology is going ahead at quite a pace. My expectation is that I will get a late flurry to add to the high quality submissions that I’ve already received and this will make the final decisions very difficult indeed.

Several people have emailed me to ask which signs I’m still looking for. I don’t require any more Leo and I have two really strong contenders for Pisces, so don’t require any more for that sign. Aries, Libra, Virgo and Aquarius are probably gone as well. Gemini is on a second reading. I still have stories to read relating to the other signs not named above, so who knows what fabulous delights are waiting in my Inbox? But, as things stand, I have yet to pick for Sagittarius, Cancer, Capricorn, Taurus, Scorpio. I know some of you have sent me stories for those signs: I am in the process of reading them.

I hope that the above is helpful and will post an update when I am ready to make a few more firm acceptances.

http://alchemypress.blogspot.co.uk/p/astrologica.html

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:25 pm »
Update for "Astrologica: Stories of the Zodiac":
That’s it, folks, the submission window has firmly closed. Firstly, I want to say a big thank you to all the authors who made the effort to get to grips with this challenging theme and who submitted stories to me. As an editor: without you guys, I’m nothing! In my usual blithe manner, I simply threw the idea out there and I didn’t fully appreciate that my astrological theme was actually quite a bit trickier than your average anthology. So, thank you for all your submissions. I have read all but the most recent at least once and am onto second readings for several of the pieces. I have difficult choices to make for all the signs apart from Leo, which was snaffled up by Ralph Robert Moore way back in January. Often it’s going to come down to fine margins between one story and another for any given star sign. That’s one of the tricky parts of editing, of course. Expect to hear from me during May or June; possibly even later this month if I really get my finger out!

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 04:48:04 pm »
Update from Allen Ashley, editor of our forthcoming anthology Astrologica:Stories of the Zodiac

“Two down, ten to go! I’m pleased to report that I have made my second formal acceptance for the anthology. The story is ‘Dark Matters’ by Megan Kerr and is for Sagittarius. Megan will be familiar to you as the winner of last year’s BFS Short Story Competition and is currently working on ‘The Artist and the Mathematician’, a literary slipstream novel for which she has received a Society of Authors Grant. This is a brilliant, bravura story and I’m really glad to have Megan on board. I will be announcing further acceptances very soon.”

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:28:51 am »
Allen Ashley, editor of our forthcoming anthology Astrologica: Stories of the Zodiac, reports:

“I can now confirm more acceptances for the anthology:

‘The Order of the Scales’ by Storm Constantine for the star sign of Libra
‘The White Bull Ranch’ by Christine Morgan for the star sign Taurus
‘Cookie’ by Jet McDonald for the star sign Scorpio
‘Ragged Claws’ by Joel Lane for the star sign Scorpio Cancer

More information here: http://alchemypress.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/astrologica-update_4059.html

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:36:44 am by Peter Coleborn »