Author Topic: Worst portrayal of Britain in US film and TV  (Read 1788 times)

Offline George White

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Worst portrayal of Britain in US film and TV
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
The US inserts for Thriller with Home Counties Miami marinas, NY upstate, New York streets, snow and newstands,
Murder she Wrote, Columbo Dagger of the Mind (jarring differences between US and Uk filming), the 1972 Hound of the Baskervilles (setbound with Stewart Granger) The X-files Fire.
ANy others NOT done in UK.

Offline Zodeak

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Worst portrayal of Britain in US film and TV
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
I think its more relevant that Britain is largely overlooked in Hollywood than it is portrayed poorly. Britain often includes the US in film and TV and many British funded/directed films are set and cast in America, by Americans. The culture around British film-making up until the turn of the millennium was "to get to America". Most of our most famous directors start in Britain and move off to America to make Hollywood films (Hitchcock, Scott, Nolan). That said, I think its often a matter of taste: "Do you like the STYLE of the Brits or the STYLE of Hollywood?". Most people around the globe prefer the latter...

That said, Kubrick was US born and came to Britain to make films because the difference in the film industry between the US and Britain at that time was massive. Where US films often had producers which hijacked the creative liberty of the director, at the same time, directors in Britain were given unseen creative freedom.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
I tend to like it when US programmes do Britain. Even when they get it a bit wrong, it's often charming, and at least they tried. I like the Columbo episode mentioned, and the Bones episodes set here. We've been watching a lot of Community this year, and their spoofs of our television (Inspector Spacetime, Cougarton Abbey) are very funny.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
What springs to mind from watching decades of American TV is that, for a long time, it seemed as if the US view of London was: a shot of the Big Ben clock tower, a red bus, and the rest was all cobblestone streets, like something from a Sherlock Holmes adventure.

Even those, admittedly good, episodes of BONES still couldn't resist repeating common travelogue views. 
 ::)

As an aside to the main topic here, does anyone remember the 1970s action movie Brannigan, starring John Wayne as a cop in London? I always thought it inspired TV series Dempsey & Makepeace, and it was curious to see Wayne in such off-beat settings.   

Stu

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
John Wayne even beat up Baldrick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpG_6RakY1c