Poll

What are your top two versions of the Dungeons and Dragons rule set?

Dungeons and Dragons
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (This option includes the revised version of the ruleset)
D&D 3.0
D&D 3.5
D&D v4

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons version preference?  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Zodeak

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Dungeons and Dragons version preference?
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
Greetings.

This is something I have wondered for a goodly while, and I thought that now I'm a BFS member and new to the forum I should open up by posting this poll as I'm sure others have the same query. I left the option to pick two because many players like to dip in and out of different games/groups. I myself grew up on AD&D, then moved to 3.0, then 3.5. All in all, I'd say AD&D is the best, then 3.5. I haven't tried v4 (mainly down to price of the books). I think it depends on the Dungeons Master a great deal, but for me AD&D allows for a greater capacity to role-play than both 3.0 and 3.5. In 3.0 and 3.5 everything has a roll. When I'm rolling a dice I feel like I'm playing a RPG. When I'm role-playing I feel like I'm reading a book. That's the difference between AD&D and version 3.x. AD&D feels more like I'm reading an interactive book with a group of highly intelligent people.

What do you think? If you haven't played D&D, post your views of D&D anyway!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Dungeons and Dragons version preference?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
The one time I played with an AD&D group for a bit, they didn't roleplay at all. They talked about their characters in the third person - he does this, he does that. I dropped out as soon I could without being rude. Not sure if that was down to the group or the rules they were playing with. Maybe they were a bit self-conscious. I reckon, if you're playing as a bard you should do at least a little bit of singing...  :)

Haven't played any rpgs since then, but enjoyed Warhammer FRP, Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia as a teenager. Overall, I probably spent more time reading rulebooks than I ever did playing the games...

Offline Zodeak

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
Haven't played any rpgs since then, but enjoyed Warhammer FRP, Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia as a teenager. Overall, I probably spent more time reading rulebooks than I ever did playing the games...

^ That's pretty much a given with D&D!

Shame about the group you played with... When I play I still use 3rd person, as in "Maximus charges towards the gnoll and attacks shouting" whatever is relevant (Die, filthy curs! in this case). A lot of the time its up to the DM to draw out a performance from the players if you don't know each other, breaking down social barriers. For example, if the players' group went to attack a group of NPCs then then DM should ask "What, do you just run at them silently brandishing swords?", to which the players would say their battle cries, and eventually it would come naturally.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
I haven't played for around 30 years, or more, but when I did, I used to quite favour a version you don't have listed. A group of players at Warwick University developed their own expansion to the Original D&D at around the same time as Gygax was working on AD&D. I wasn't at Warwick, or indeed any university, but a couple of them moved here for a few years & joined our gaming group. We used to play both AD&D & Warwick system. I still have all the A5 rulebooks. They can't be easy to find these days.

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:01:16 PM »
Not played in a while, but always stuck with AD&D 2nd Ed, even after 3e came out. I still Roleplay but now by email and mostly just Cthulhu.

From what I've read about a later editions, they seem to have been dumbed down quite a bit to cater for console gamers.
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

benedictjjones

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
AD&D 2nd edition for me as it was the one we mainly played although with various add ons (and a few of the original AD&D adventures borrowed from my brother)

have a bought a few RPGs and supplements recently but mainly just to read through.

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
3.5 for me, as the earlier versions could be overly complicated when you had a table filled with players of mixed experience, while V4 always seemed like a video game RPG conversion! I ran a campaign for several years with my group using 3.5, and it was very satisfying.
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency

Offline ianink

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »
AD&D 2e here, mostly for the nostalgia!

Since the OGL came out there have been some really good D20 hacks and tributes, any number of which I think are probably well worth taking a look at. I love modern, pick up and play indie games but there was that sense of challenge of having to trawl through pages and pages of details and charts and specifics...
Current Project:
~Enjin Obscura RPG~
enjin-obscura.tumblr.com

Offline Sarah Newton

• Initiate
  • Writer & games designer in a Normandy field...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Site
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
I'd definitely have to say old school AD&D for flavour and atmosphere - I love the Judges Guild Wilderlands campaign and the GDQ modules, and the freeform organised chaos that old white box and AD&D play is. I also love the more unified mechanic of 3e - although the rules bloat that came with it was a turn off.

If you'll forgive a shameless self plug, I'm a game designer and wrote an "old school inspired" fantasy RPG this year called "Monsters & Magic", which is intended for use with all your old school gaming material but uses a more modern rules sensibility, including rules for things like social conflicts, character personalities, etc. You can check it out at www.mindjammerpress.com (PDF copies http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/115515/Monsters-%26-Magic and preorder of the physical version http://shop.chroniclecity.co.uk/Monsters-Magic-1).

Shameless self-plug over. :)

I liked 4e as a game mechanic but it wasn't D&D for me - although I thought it did the Gamma World flavour perfectly.

I think my ideal D&D was somewhere between white box and AD&D in flavour and style, with some added cool from the old Arduin Grimoire trilogy - remember that? :D

Cheers,

Sarah
Fiction Editor, British Fantasy Society Journal
_____
http://sarahnewtonwriter.com
http://www.mindjammerpress.com

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »
You are welcome to send me a review copy Sarah! Drop me a line bfsreviews@gmail.com
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

benedictjjones

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
noticed the other day that AD&D 2nd edition has been re-released!

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
I just discovered this week that my old AD&D original (reprinted) rulebooks, which I thought were safely in storage, have been lost/sold/thrown away. I never thought I'd be likely to play again, but I now feel sad that they're gone. It was probably the roleplaying (and especially DMing) of the old school games that made me a writer, more than anything else.

I had a read through some of the 4e rules recently, and they look terrible. For one thing, they've made the races and classes less rational and more arbitrary; and everyone has complex skills, not just spellcasters, so rule mechanics must crowd out roleplay almost totally. Didn't like it at all. (Maybe I could get used to it if, as Sarah says, it's not D&D.) But either way, I doubt I'm going to get back into playing any kind of regularly again.

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
3.5 for me. My group ran 3.5 for a good few years in our most successful campaign. Great memories!
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:02 PM »
I used to play regularly on a Sunday evening with a group of six, fun times but was a long time ago. ;D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!