Author Topic: When will the winning 2011 short stories appear in BFS Journal?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Erik T. Johnson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Hello,

I was one of the lucky 3 (3rd place) for the 2011 BFS Short Story Award Competition. The announcement (put up on the BFS site in October 2011) indicates that "the stories will appear in future editions of the British Fantasy Society Journal".

To-date I have not heard when Krug's Pen is expected to appear. Can anyone advise? I contacted David Howe who recommended I post this question on this forum, as he is no longer involved in BFS.

Thanks,
Erik

http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/news/bfs-short-story-competition-2011-winners/There were 167 entries this year – so a very good turnout indeed. The stories selected by the judges are, in reverse order:

In third place: ‘Krug’s Pen’ by Erik T Johnson

In second place: ‘The Sea is in My Blood’ by Deborah Walker

And in first place: Julian Baxter-Cockbill with a tale called ‘Learning by Rote’.

The stories will appear in future editions of the BFS Journal.

Thanks must go to the readers for this year, who were: Jan Edwards, Debbie Bennett, Mike Chinn and Jenny Barber. And the final judges were: Kari Spelling, Sarah Pinborough and Ian Whates. Thanks to everyone involved, and to all those who submitted stories for making the annual competition such a success.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: When will the winning 2011 short stories appear in BFS Journal?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »
Hi Erik,
I was not at all involved in the administration or judging of the BFS Short Story Competition 2011. I took over in 2012.
However, I understand that the prize in 2011 consisted of cash prizes for the top three and publication just for the first two. Julian’s and Deborah’s stories were duly published in “The BFS Journal”. Yours, clearly, was not.
This was an anomaly that I rectified with last year’s competition, reasoning that if the BFS is willing to pay money to an author for their story, they should be willing to publish it!
My advice to you is to contact the Fiction Editor of the “Journal” – Sarah Newton. Address is at the web site. Tell her what has happened and ask her to take a look at your prize winning story.
Best of luck.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:39:52 pm »
Hi Erik, I launched the 2011 competition, but had to step down before it really got started. Like Allen says, that wasn't one of the announced prizes that year (the original announcement is here) - sorry the news item announcing the winners said that it was.

Allen's idea of contacting the journal editor is a good one. Although it wasn't a prize, I did run the third place story from 2010 in a journal we had then, Dark Horizons.

Offline Erik T. Johnson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »
Thanks for the clarification and advice on that one my friends.

Erik
www.eriktjohnson.net