Author Topic: BFS Journal -- Winter 2012/13 issue  (Read 14471 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: BFS Journal -- Winter 2012/13 issue
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:47 am »
They probably haven't noticed the thread, David. If I see a problem mentioned here (or on Twitter or Facebook) and no one's replied I'll usually email the relevant person, but Paul's in touch with them already so I haven't done that this time.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:58 am »
They probably haven't noticed the thread, David. If I see a problem mentioned here (or on Twitter or Facebook) and no one's replied I'll usually email the relevant person, but Paul's in touch with them already so I haven't done that this time.

You're undoubtedly right, Stephen. You usually are. :)

I miss the days when you were acting chair. You might have been a bit of a pain in the arse for those of us involved with publications then, but that was part of your job, making sure you kept us on our toes and the jobs got done properly. Plus you were always here to help settle any queries, problems and and issues raised by concerned members on the forum. I do think the BFS needs this kind of hands on involvement from the top. David Howe (another pain in the arse at times for those of us involved with the publications) did this too when he was chair - and the BFS benefited, seeing its membership rise to an all out high.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 11:27:16 am »
I suspect both David and Stephen will say that I was also a pain in the arse  ;D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »
Don't forget that when I was posting here about things when I was chair, it was usually because I was also the person doing the job - FantasyCon secretary, awards admin, short story comp, Dark Horizons, etc! It's not really the chair's job to answer questions about each aspect of the society, I think, it's the person who has taken on that job.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:58 pm »
Don't forget that when I was posting here about things when I was chair, it was usually because I was also the person doing the job - FantasyCon secretary, awards admin, short story comp, Dark Horizons, etc! It's not really the chair's job to answer questions about each aspect of the society, I think, it's the person who has taken on that job.

Agreed. But the problem is, Stephen, you seem to be the only person on the committee who IS dealing with issues (or that's the way it seems from the lack of communication and issues which seem to be arising).  :(

(sorry, but I'm rather disillusioned about the BFS currently)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
A month has gone by and nothing in response to my queries having paid 45 in membership fees for myself and Kate, and received nothing in return, not even an acknowledgement. This is very bad indeed. BFS you're looking at me taking my money back very shortly even though I've been a member for eight years

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »
Have you emailed anyone, John? As has been said on this thread, many members of the committee don't see posts on this forum (personally, I reckon they should check in regularly and respond, but they don't). If you've emailed someone and not got a response, then perhaps try emailing Lee direct? (chair@britishfantasysociety.org) As a few of us have said here already, this is a bad state of affairs and does the BFS no good at all.  :(

Hope you can sort it.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:26 am »
Thanks Caroline. I've emailed Lee and I might have a word with the president ;)  before getting a refund.

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »
chair@ isn't answering my email. I'm *still* getting bank stuff for FCon, despite leaving the committee in December 2011 (and no, that isn't a typo - that's well over a year). I'm about to go into the bank and insist they take my details off everything - not sure what will happen then ...

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:36 pm »
chair@ isn't answering my email. I'm *still* getting bank stuff for FCon, despite leaving the committee in December 2011 (and no, that isn't a typo - that's well over a year). I'm about to go into the bank and insist they take my details off everything - not sure what will happen then ...

I *think* my name has been removed from the account. If not I can see a nice holiday coming  ;)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:58 pm »
As a last resort, please do try Ramsey as president, and he'll bang our heads together...

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 05:04:27 pm »
Out of interest, who is stocking the recent issues? Is it still Chris Teague? Has the problem of missing Journals become worse since they are mailed out directly by the printers?

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »
I initialled some forms at the recent SciFi Weekender (March 2013) for Lee ... apparently the Bank hadn't processed any of the paperwork or something. But I'm still getting and forwarding on occasional letters from the bank. I was removed from the committee in Sept 2011. I still get sent letters from the printers for the BFS which I forward on as well ... I assume someone is dealing with them. 
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 10:13:19 am »
I have just received my copy of the Winter 2012 / 13 BFS Journal - many thanks to Lee Harris for sorting this out!