Author Topic: BFS Journal -- Winter 2012/13 issue  (Read 15204 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
BFS Journal -- Winter 2012/13 issue
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:39 am »
It's an attractive book, once again -- congratulations all round. Just one thing about the design: please make the gutter margin bigger. I'm worried that I'll crease the spine if I open the pages to make reading easier.

Sorry to hear that both Guy and Cavan are going. Good luck to you both -- and best of British to the newcomers.

I've just read David Tellerman's article on violence in fantasy fiction. It's an interesting read and one that should make writers of the stuff pause for thought. We don't need yet more Conans. However, it would've been a stronger, more useful article if the writer had mentioned examples other than his own novels. Off the top of my head I suggest the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories, Jack Vance's Dying Earth, Tanith Lee, Andre Norton's Witch World ...

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Journal -- Winter 2012/13 issue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:27:42 pm »
Agreed on the gutter margin. This issue is quite hard to read, as the text runs too close to the spine.

What happened to the kindle versions? I haven't got one of the previous issue yet, let alone this one.

Offline cavscott

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:36:49 am »
Hi there,

Sorry there has been a hiatus in doing the e-versions. Unfortunately, this has been down to a time factor in getting them done. I'll get on to them as soon as the day (and night) job allows.

In the meantime, is there any one who would be willing to format the ebooks of the journal in the future?

All the best,

Cav

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:57 am »
I would love to offer, but I'd have to turn down paying work to do it. Straightforward chunks of fiction like Full Fathom Forty don't take long (I'll do the ebook of that if someone sends me the typeset files), but the variety of content types in the journal would take longer.

With this issue being so late and another two more editors quitting, would it make sense to make the journal a bit more achievable? For example making it shorter (the old journals aimed for 80pp, with Prism only another 40pp or so), or less regular - it's effectively been a six-monthly publication for the last year. Give ourselves an easier win.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:01:49 am »
Still haven't received my copy yet  :( Emailed a few folk, but haven't got a reply (although, not sure who you're supposed to contact for non-delivery of publications). Member # 1700.

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:51:36 pm »
No sign of our copy either, and I also have no idea who to contact about it! Member 001354

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 04:50:33 pm »
Paul, John - neither of you are on my list of BFS voters for the awards, so I'd guess your memberships have expired and need renewing. Any queries you're probably best off emailing Lee (chair@britishfantasysociety.org) and Helen (secretary@britishfantasysociety.org). Hope that helps a bit.

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »
Well my membership expired a week ago & I've just renewed, but it was certainly in effect when that edition was produced and sent out!

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »
Plus, Kate & I should be on your list of voters anyway because we were both at FantasyCon last year. We've already sent in our votes.

Offline John L Probert

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • John Llewellyn Probert
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 05:40:30 pm »
And finally - thank you!

(How to spread one post over three demonstrated here  ;) )

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »
Best contact Lee and Helen... I think the list of BFS voters was produced for me round about Feb 5, and that was just a bit after the mailing list was produced for the printers.

You are eligible to vote from being at FantasyCon, but that's handled separately from the BFS list. I check BFS members off against my list as I go along, but send FantasyCon a list of any of their voters that need checking at the end. Most I can usually check off from memory and the website's guest list.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:51 am »
Renewed my membership 6 weeks ago; got an email thanking me for doing so, too.

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »
I thought it was an excellent journal. It looks superb.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 11:34:15 am »
I agree with you, Debbie. Of course, I’m slightly biased as I chose the three competition winning stories. However, I thought that there was a good range of non-fiction articles and interviews as well. I think the move some time ago to amalgamate “Prism”, “Dark Horizons” and “New Horizons” has worked well, especially now that the many reviews are in their own dedicated space in “Shelflings”.
The guttering was a bit tight at times but otherwise, a fine issue.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »
Lee got back to me a week ago, saying he'd make sure I received a copy. But nothing's arrived so far  :( Time's running out: come Wednesday I'm going to have to file a PayPal claim as that will be the end of my 45 day limit.