Author Topic: Suggestions for the 2014 awards  (Read 7002 times)

Offline johnny mains

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for the 2014 awards
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
And remember, THE BURNING CIRCUS cannot be put forward for any awards, but the stories contained can.
‎"The duty of an enthusiast about a forgotten author is constantly to bring his name before the public, in hope that such forgotten writers and the treasures of their work may be rescued from undeserved oblivion" - Herbert van Thal

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
No, nothing I've written or published is eligible for any of the awards. Where I've contributed in a small way to a publication - e.g. reviews for Interzone and Black Static, or if I ever get a story in an anthology - those publications are still eligible, although I would of course have to advise the BFS committee and the jurors of my involvement, and provide the voting records in the relevant category to the chair for checking (as happened this year, when Black Static, Interzone and TTA Press were all nominated). But nothing that's all me. Quite right, too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Hugos!

That's a shame as I may well have voted for the work you published by Michael Wyndham Thomas in the best Fantasy Novel category. That has been a significant highlight for me in 2013 and, as an author, he has gone into my personal Hall of Fame.

EDIT: I think you should seriously push for a Hugo on that one, assuming your last comment above was meant as a joke or pie in the sky.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:46:16 AM by Des Lewis »
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
Non-fiction poetry would also be eligible in the non-fiction category.

I find it hard to envisage what non-fiction poetry actually would be. But it sounds an intriguing new category. Like descriptions of reality in poetic form?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:44:57 AM by Des Lewis »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
Poetry can be biographical, autobiographical, political, scientific, etc. Memorials are often written in verse. Reviews can be too. Try this - not fantasy-related, but it's rather fun: http://research.google.com/archive/papers/review_in_verse.html

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Googling "a review in verse" , "an essay in verse" and other phrases like that brings up lots more examples.

Similarly, reviews like this would be eligible in our comics category and in our non-fiction category.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »
Poetry can be biographical, autobiographical, political, scientific, etc.

Fiction can be all those things, too. Poetry, for me, whatever it is about, is a fictionalised-poeticised account of many real and unreal things, and each reader will have different perceptions where the dividing line comes.
I contend, and maybe this is not the thread for this discussion, that poetry should always be included within fiction, not non-fiction, unless there is a specific category called poetry where it would more naturally fall. An interesting debate, though, and I can see where you're coming from.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Poetry can be biographical, autobiographical, political, scientific, etc.

Fiction can be all those things, too. Poetry, for me, whatever it is about, is a fictionalised-poeticised account of many real and unreal things, and each reader will have different perceptions where the dividing line comes.
I contend, and maybe this is not the thread for this discussion, that poetry should always be included within fiction, not non-fiction, unless there is a specific category called poetry where it would more naturally fall. An interesting debate, though, and I can see where you're coming from.

For example, Joel Lane's poetry collections, as I infer, are based on his real non-fiction life and his emotions but I don't think anyone would put these collections in a non-fiction category.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
I do think, too, that there is a difference between verse and poetry, and I  concede that a non-fiction tract with broken lines and rhymes would be more like verse than poetry and could arguably be put in a non-fiction category. Sorry, about this. I'll keep quiet, now.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
As you say, that's what poetry is for you. The contrary point of view is illustrated, for example, by the existence of an entire journal devoted to non-fiction poetry: http://rabbitpoetry.com/.

If a poetry collection of the kind you mention was voted into that category by the membership, it would be for the jury after reading it to discuss whether it was non-fictional enough to justify being given that award.

This is what already happens in other marginal cases. It would be hard for the television programme Sherlock to win an award via the jury process, for example.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
Thanks, Stephen. A fascinating topic.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
Not non-fiction -- unless werewolves are real -- but an interesting read if you like your fiction as poetry:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Teeth-Toby-Barlow/dp/0099512467/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386421451&sr=1-1&keywords=sharp+teeth

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »
Not non-fiction -- unless werewolves are real -- but an interesting read if you like your fiction as poetry:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Teeth-Toby-Barlow/dp/0099512467/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386421451&sr=1-1&keywords=sharp+teeth

Thanks, Peter. Another example of verse.
I wonder if Milton's 'Paradise Lost' was published in 2013 whether we would need to call it fiction or poetry or or verse or non-fiction.

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
Voting in next year's awards is planned to begin on 1 January 2014, so now is the time to add your favourite works of 2013 to our eligibility list

Does this mean the list can't be added to after this time?  And is the list just a helpful guide or is it where the voting choices will come from?  I've still got some 2013 stuff to read - I better get a move on if I want to make some more suggestions!

Offline Rosanne

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
Hi,

I can't seem to get the suggestions list up. I keep getting a google doc document with the categories and horizontal lines but otherwise blank.

I use google chrome.

Rosanne

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 10:10:58 PM »
Oh, that's annoying. Here's a direct link, just in case that helps get it to load better.

Have you tried opening the page in incognito mode? That sometimes helps with things like this.

And the other thing might be to try it in a different browser, just in case a Chrome extension is causing trouble (a hyperactive adblocker or something like that).

If you don't have any luck, email me (stephen.theaker@gmail.com) and I'll run off a pdf of it for you.