Author Topic: What have you been listening to (continued)  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
What have you been listening to (continued)
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
What music, audiobooks, podcasts etc have you been listening to lately?

I spent the last week at work listening to series one and two of Earthsearch, which I got from Audible years ago and had never listened to, after not really enjoying the first episode. I liked it a lot more as it went on, although the female characters were not great, a vague feeling that kind of crystallised while listening to the author interview at the end, which focused on happy memories of skimpily-dressed women at convention costume parades!

The story is about four kids who grow up on a generation starship, the only survivors of a meteor strike deliberately engineered by the shipboard computers, and their subsequent search for Earth, which isn't where you'd expect. Time dilation means they end up a million years in the future, which has interesting consequences when they encounter other humans, but the story doesn't acknowledge the effect that a million years would have on the English language, let alone human biology. It was all very exciting, though, the crew in constant danger from their own computers on one side and the rest of the universe on the other.

Offline Emma Audsley1

• Emma Audsley
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Horrifically Horrifying Horror Blog
Re: What have you been listening to (continued)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:51:35 AM »
I've been enjoying Sarah Pinborough's Breeding Ground. Great start so far, but it has one downside to it...the person reading it! She sounds like one of those automated voices you get when you ring the bank.
 Other than that I've really been enjoying Novum Initium, a fantastical album, brilliant artists on this one. :)

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
nightwish, er ... nightwish ..., and some tarot ...

covers aside (which many bands do) their music seems to capture a "twilights of the god" ethos where the death of the world shouldn't be a frenetic final act of desperation but a time for a dignified reflection on the things that once mattered but soon will be forgotten. 

Here's their steampunkish vid that accompanied my favourite track the Islanderhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2sd8UMUaIk   8)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
I've been binging on The Scarifyers today. Good fun.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
I guess that should be "bingeing" in my post above. Looks weird, though.

I've been using the Tivo to record lots of sf, fantasy and horror from Radio 4 Xtra lately, and my work this week is the kind of thing that goes well with listening to the radio. So after The Scarifyers yesterday, today I listened to Nick Frost in The Sofa of Time, which was okay, though not as funny as Elvenquest.

Last night worked late listening to Kate Mulgrew's brilliant reading of Joe Hill's NOS4A2.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Only just realised I could use iTunes to subscribe to and download podcasts, and as well as the fab stuff available from NPR (e.g. Pop Culture Happy Hour) and the BBC (e.g. Saturday Review) I've really enjoyed the Coode Street podcast by Jonathan Strahan and Gary Wolfe. They spend a lot of it talking about fantasy and science fiction awards, so it's very much up my street.

Any other podcast recommendations would be very welcome.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
I didn't even know there was a third series of Journey into Space (there's no CD version of it) so finding The World in Peril on Audible was a lovely surprise. The pace of events is perhaps slow by modern standards, but that only seems to make it more dramatic.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:13 PM »
led zep's mothership, mika's life in cartoon motion and kate bush's the red shoes - always helps a brush hit the old canvas
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
I'm very much enjoying Reece Shearsmith's reading of Robert Aickman's The Unsettled Dust - my first taste of that author. And before that I was listening to the all-star production of World War Z: The Complete Edition, for review in Interzone, and that was very good too.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
On holiday listened to some of Doctor Who and the Planet of the Daleks read by Mark Gatiss, who does a marvellous job. Think I have a Jon Pertwee version of that story somewhere, but I like this one better. It always seemed weird to hear the Doctor talk about himself in the third person.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
In stitches today listening to Mark Kermode's Hatchet Job, which he reads himself (odd to hear him talking at a normal pace!). Excellent discussion of reviewing ethics, and the relationship between critics and creators, plus lots of funny anecdotes.

Really happy to discover that you can add notes to Audible books in the iPad app. Very handy for reviewers.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
Listening to some old US Crime like The Whisperer, Dragnet and Philip Marlowe, as well as Xfm and some Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs plus Grieg's  Peer Gynt.

Wayne.

Offline Charlsie

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
My listening this past week has switched back and forth between the new Arcade Fire album, Deltron 3030's new album and Kvelertak, as black metal has no place being that groovy.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
The new Polly Scattergood album, "Arrows", which isn't bad, but not as fragile or brilliant as her eponymous debut.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »
skrillex - I'm probably getting too old for dubstep judging by the reaction I got in HMV when I asked about the album - I think the lass thought I should be listening to Richard Clayderman, instead - but he has a great vid, which is like a creepy horror movie that's worth having a butcher's at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.