Author Topic: Illegal downloads  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
Illegal downloads
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:09:40 pm »
A new illegal ebook download site has popped up BookOS: http:// boo kos.org/

I recommend checking them out ASAP to make sure they have nothing of yours, and if they do ask them to remove the link pronto.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:38:47 am by Stephen Theaker »
Mike Chinn

Offline Steve Calvert

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A Passion For Horror
Re: Illegal downloads
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:55:10 pm »
I've never come across this one before. I did a search for 'Stephen King' and he must have an ongoing battle to keep with them. The download links for some of his books, such as Dark Tower 4 and Insomnia, have been replaced with the message 'Link deleted by legal owner', but other books, The Shining for one, still appear to have active download links. Obviously the site owners must be aware that most of their links are illegal, but they probably only remove the ones that the copyright holders are aware of and have complained about.  They seem to use the illegal downloads to bring in visitors in the hopes that they will download a legitimate copy from Amazon that will generate reap them a commission.

I did some checking. The site was registered in August 2012, so it has been around a while now and the site has already been Tweeted over 1,000 times and has nearly as many Google+. It also has a Google page rank of 3, so it seems likely that the site receives quite a lot of traffic. One of the worst things about sites like this is that they naturally generate a lot of inbound links, often from respected sites that have a good page rank, and this only encourages the search engines to send them even more traffic. Every time an authors, or other member of the writing community, posts a warning on their blogs and adds a link, it benefits the site. This thread is a good example. It helps spread the word (which is a very good thing), but it also helps provide the site with and extra boost in their Google rankings because  The British Fantasy Society's is a respected website and the forum has a page rank of 2 and uses 'do follow links.  I hate sites like BookOS, but everything seems to work in their favor. Wonderful, isn't it?

Offline davidjb

• David Burrows
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • David's Author Page
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »
Thanks for posting this. I found my book being advertised for free at
http:// www.2 shared.com/ so you may want to check them out
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:38:36 am by Stephen Theaker »
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings and Drachar\'s Demons

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:38:16 am »
David, Mike - in view of Steve's comments above, I thought it might be a good idea to break the links in your posts so we aren't recommending them to Google.

If anyone wants to visit the sites to check they aren't sharing your work, just close up the spaces I've added.