Author Topic: BFS Journal Spring 2013 issue  (Read 37853 times)

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
Re: BFS Journal Spring 2013 issue
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2013, 09:31:13 am »

But if you mean printing up extra copies and selling them ourselves, I'd say that remains a bad idea. It places an ongoing obligation on the committees to come. It's hard enough finding a secretary, treasurer, stockholder etc for the society without asking them also to do the work involved in running a small press.

I think the danger here is overprinting for an expected demand which might not materialise. Hasn't that happened before with books such as James Cooper's interviews with horror writers for example - which I think was also intended to be sold outside the BFS? Print on demand for 'outsiders' makes much more sense - it also serves to promote the society and its members and their work.

Offline Stuart Douglas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2013, 12:57:11 pm »
If you mean making our publications available via print on demand, I'd say that's fine, so long as the contributors know up front that the book is going to be publicly available. If we ask an author to contribute a story to a BFS members-exclusive publication, we can't then try to gouge their fans for it on Amazon.

But if you mean printing up extra copies and selling them ourselves, I'd say that remains a bad idea. It places an ongoing obligation on the committees to come. It's hard enough finding a secretary, treasurer, stockholder etc for the society without asking them also to do the work involved in running a small press.

Couldn't agree more (knowing how much time a small press takes up!) - but not offering POD seems to be ignoring a bit of an open goal.

Stuart
Non Fiction Editor - British Fantasy Society

www.obversebooks.co.uk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »
I think the danger here is overprinting for an expected demand which might not materialise. Hasn't that happened before with books such as James Cooper's interviews with horror writers for example - which I think was also intended to be sold outside the BFS? Print on demand for 'outsiders' makes much more sense - it also serves to promote the society and its members and their work.

Yes, last I heard (back in 2010) we had about 1250 copies in hand of various titles going back to the nineties. Not sure what the current situation is, but probably not much different, unless they've been recycled or given away - I don't think they've been on sale on the BFS website since the new website was introduced.

To give credit to the people who created those books, a lot of them are very interesting and made great membership benefits, and nearly all of the older ones made a profit for the society. It's fair to say the society could have done more over the years to sell them. But I do think it would be a mistake to add to the pile.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2013, 07:08:01 pm »
I have my journal, and very nice it is too.

The problem of cost vs. posting stuff is always a problem.

Usually it's best to get things out quickly, as this thread as shown, when you don't get things out you lose members and so lose money.

The society loses traction and we go back to edge of the precipice.

The other bonuses of membership are we can enter our story comp 1 time for nothing. We get a discount on the Fantasycon when it runs.

Plus we get to nominate stuff for the jury to ignore when the awards come around.

I think this year more than most getting stuff out would have been best.

Wayne.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
On the idea of print on demand, I think it's a good idea. even if the items were sold at 20 it would show the subs are worth it. Also we could do a sampler of the journal if the writers/artists were happy for their work to be sold.

It would also give some pennies to the society and the writers/artists possibly.

Lulu seems quite good for this sort of thing.

As to the stock, some of it went to new members but if memory serves some of it we were not allowed to give away. Items are always on sale at FantasyCon, so hopefully the stock dwindles.

Wayne.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2013, 12:40:07 pm »
News from the recent BFS newsletter on the publications front:

"We are aware that there have been some unacceptable delays in the production of the BFS Journals this year. This has been due to a number of factors, which include Biddles going out of business (hence all their work being spread among the few similar businesses in the UK, who have struggled to make deadlines) as well as changes in the BFS committee, and increased workloads for some of the current committee members. The committee is currently considering better ways to manage the schedule.

There are two Special Publications underway - original hardback anthologies to be distributed to all current BFS members.

The Burning Circus (horror) has been edited by Johnny Mains, and Unexpected Journeys (fantasy) has been edited by Juliet E McKenna. Both books are in production, and members should received them before the end of October. These books will not be sold separately, and are only available to BFS members."

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2013, 11:36:27 pm »
Have the August Journal, cheers. And look forward to the special publications.

When will the other journals be out?

Wayne.