Author Topic: FantasyCon 2014  (Read 51448 times)

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyCon 2014
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
Just a quick note, I've booked and will be at the can with Nadia & Aysha, we are staying at the Ibis though.

Wayne.

Jilly & I booked yesterday too & will also be at the Ibis. Looking forward to seeing you both again.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2014, 12:46:47 pm »
Just a quick note, I've booked and will be at the can with Nadia & Aysha, we are staying at the Ibis though.

Wayne.

Jilly & I booked yesterday too & will also be at the Ibis. Looking forward to seeing you both again.

Sounds like there's going to be a mini-con at the Ibis.
Mike Chinn

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »
I suspect the Ibis will do very well out of FantasyCon  ;)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2014, 06:23:36 pm »
I have to limit myself to occasional visits to Twitter else I'd be there all day, so I've only just spotted that there is fairly recent activity regarding FantasyCon there. Come on, please put updates on the BFS forum as well. Thanks. (The FantasyCon website needs updating, too :-) )

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2014, 07:46:24 pm »
I have to limit myself to occasional visits to Twitter else I'd be there all day, so I've only just spotted that there is fairly recent activity regarding FantasyCon there. Come on, please put updates on the BFS forum as well. Thanks. (The FantasyCon website needs updating, too :-) )

Good point, Peter. What are the updates about? I'm not a Twitter user at all (couldn't figure out how to use it  :-\)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 07:27:26 am »

Good point, Peter. What are the updates about? I'm not a Twitter user at all (couldn't figure out how to use it  :-\)

I depend on this official forum for all BFS news or links to BFS news and any thoughts from Chairman or President on any outstanding matters.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 07:40:42 am »
The FantasyCon 2014 Twitter feed is here - you don't have to be a Twitter user to view it: https://twitter.com/FantasyCon2014

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:27 am »
The FantasyCon 2014 Twitter feed is here - you don't have to be a Twitter user to view it: https://twitter.com/FantasyCon2014

Thanks for that, but aren't some of the comments 'in the air' as it were, without context?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2014, 07:52:01 am »
If you want to see the question that provoked a reply, or the replies to a tweet, just click on the text of that tweet and the conversation will open up.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:02 am »
If you want to see the question that provoked a reply, or the replies to a tweet, just click on the text of that tweet and the conversation will open up.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
But wouldn't it be more sensible for all info to be on this BFS Forum used by all, questions and answers, rather than what I imagine is now split between Twitter and Facebook. Some people have phobias or irritation about going to either of those sites and navigating them, perhaps.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:57 am »
The FantasyCon team were asked a quick question on Twitter, they answered it on Twitter - seems sensible to me. There are plenty of alternative ways to contact them, for people who don't use Twitter.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2014, 08:55:20 am »
The FantasyCon team were asked a quick question on Twitter, they answered it on Twitter - seems sensible to me. There are plenty of alternative ways to contact them, for people who don't use Twitter.

I would be in favour of a central hub for BFS business that concerns all members, and this Forum was designed for that, was it not? Searching, say, Facebook, Twitter etc combined with individual emails seems a counterproductive system to me.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:53 am »
I've said so before and I repeat here: social media sites -- Twitter and Facebook, for example -- are not the places for important news stories, updates, what have you. Those places are mainly for chit chat and moans. The BFS and Fantasycon have websites and a forum. These are the places to post, and posting on this forum is dead easy.

What's the membership level now, by the way? It was last updated in February. Thanks.

Will there be an art show this year?

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:41 am »
I couldn't agree more, Peter. It seems a sad reflection on the con committee's priorities re communication that twitter gets preference seemingly over the BFS's own forum. This should be the premier discussion site for BFS related issues, not social media like twitter or facebook.

It's no wonder that usage of the forum isn't better than it is.

Even senior members of the BFS's own committee seem reluctant to make use of the forum and seem ignorant of any complaints made here or any issues that should really be dealt with.

It would be nice if someone responsible for matters like this were to come on here or even make statements on the official BFS site about things like when the site will be up and running properly again. It's looked a dismal mess for ages now with only reviews being added to it and the very, very occasional snippet of news. As a showcase for the society it's worse than I remember it ever being before.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2014, 11:23:25 am »
We have said all these things before here about using the Forum for what it is intended but nothing seems to happen. It would only need official announcements on Twitter, Facebook etc that all news and queries should in future be on the BFS Forum for this to happen, I'd say.
We have had one welcome visit here from the President some months ago which left some loose ends. That's all I can remember.

Edited to correct link
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:31:48 am by Des Lewis »