Author Topic: Eligibility of deceased authors (2003 AGM proposal)  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Eligibility of deceased authors (2003 AGM proposal)
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
I just found a copy of the 2003 AGM minutes, and found that this interesting proposal was passed:

"It was PROPOSED by Ramsey Campbell that we alter the conditions of eligibility for the awards to exclude works by the deceased. Graham Joyce SECONDED this motion and it was AGREED by the majority that the Awards Administrator would no longer accept nominations for authors and artists who are deceased. However, should an awards nominee become deceased during the period between nomination and presentation of the awards, then the subject will still be eligible for the award in question."

I don't think I need to apply this rule now (e.g. with regard to the nomination this year for Reflections by Diana Wynne Jones), because at least one constitution which didn't contain this rule has been approved entire by the AGM since then.

But I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who knows the history behind the proposal, why it was thought necessary, whether it was ever applied or added to the rules, and if it was ever officially repealed.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
Re: Eligibility of deceased authors (2003 AGM proposal)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
I'm in favour of the deceased being eligible for winning awards.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
To me, that seems like a very strange rule. I don't see why someone's work should be excluded on those grounds. Maybe Ramsey and Graham should be consulted on why they felt it necessary to propose this rule?
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Just noticed that Robert E. Howard books were up for best collection in 2001 and 2002, and a Clark Ashton Smith book in 2003, so it must have been a reaction to that.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
it seems a bit strange if a newly published anthology of a late author's short stories were to be excluded if they were previously unpublished together
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline GaryC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
Just noticed that Robert E. Howard books were up for best collection in 2001 and 2002, and a Clark Ashton Smith book in 2003, so it must have been a reaction to that.

It was, as I remember. (I was Chair in 2003 up to the AGM.)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Ramsey Campbell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ramsey Campbell
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
it seems a bit strange if a newly published anthology of a late author's short stories were to be excluded if they were previously unpublished together

How long after their death, though? I tried to cover this by adding "However, should an awards nominee become deceased during the period between nomination and presentation of the awards, then the subject will still be eligible for the award in question."

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »

How long after their death, though? I tried to cover this by adding "However, should an awards nominee become deceased during the period between nomination and presentation of the awards, then the subject will still be eligible for the award in question."

some anthology's though bring together previously almost inaccessible material long after the author's death, for instance A Tranquil Star by Primo Levi which was published in 2007 - 20 years after his death - should the award also recognise those individuals/publishers that provide such services to readers ?
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
Yes, I agree with that. My feeling is that the awards go to books, not authors. It'd be like making a book ineligible because the publisher has gone bankrupt - a bit unfair on the book. I can see why the rule was originally proposed, but I'm not planning to propose its reintroduction.