Author Topic: BFS XMAS 2013 OPEN NIGHT  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
BFS XMAS 2013 OPEN NIGHT
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »
BFS XMAS OPEN NIGHT LONDON
Friday 13th December -- 7.00 pm
Guests TBC

The Elephant, 119 Fenchurch Street, London -- www.youngs.co.uk/pubs/elephant

"We have a private function room* from 7pm–close. The room is downstairs in the basement, with its own bar / loos. Decent range of ales, bar snacks ranging from a few quid, to sandwiches (£5-6) and full meals.

Directions: The Elephant pub is opposite Halifax Building Society.

From Fenchurch St. Station: go directly out of station onto Fenchurch Street, turn left, 1 min walk.

From Monument Tube: take East Cheap, King William or Gracechurch St. exits from subway. Go up Gracechurch Street – this is in the opposite direction to London Bridge (the actual bridge, not LB station). Take first right onto Fenchurch Street, 3 mins walk.

Guest authors/book launches: To Be Confirmed, plus some prize draws etc.

All BFS members welcome. Lapsed/former members and non-members also welcome!

The venue has promised to put on additional bar staff if we are expecting a high attendance; if you think you’ll be joining us on the night, please ping a quick email to

events@britishfantasysociety.org

so we can track approximate numbers…and hopefully keep down service waiting time at the bar!

Richard Webb
Events

*Unfortunately, as is the nature of many private function rooms in pubs, it is in the basement without wheelchair access. My apologies for any inconvenience this causes. I did my best with little lead time but could not find a venue available with full access. It is an important criterion for future venue selection.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: BFS XMAS 2013 OPEN NIGHT
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:50 PM »
The Alchemy Press is also launching the limited, numbered, signed edition of INVENT-10N by Rod Rees -- Rod will be there! I also intend to bring the paperback edition:

Greetings Gate, let’s Agitate. Look over your shoulder. Do you see the camera? Then dig that even as you read these words of sedition and denial you are being watched by the ever e-quisitive National Protection Agency. The National Protection Agency – omnipresent, omniscient and most ominous – which runs PanOptika, the spider at the centre of the Web.

PanOptika. What’s the slogan: watching out for the good guys by watching out for the bad guys. But what did that Roman word-slinger, Juvenal say? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes: who watches the watchers?

So dig this to the extremity, cats and kittens: if we do nothing soon we must kneel, digitally-dutiful, before National Protection, and then there will be no chance to zig when the ChumBots say zag, or to beep when they say bop. Realise thou that PanOptika triumphant means we will not be able to think, to act, to speak or to move without the spirit-sapping realisation that the badniks know everything … everything.

* We are circling the drain. This is my warning. *

Set in 2030, Invent-10n follows the story of Jenni-Fur and Sebastian – and  the invention of a power source that will solve all our energy issues; or will it?

http://alchemypress.wordpress.com/alchemy-publications/invent-10n

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
Don't forget -- tomorrow night is the BFS Xmas Open Night. Details earlier in this thread.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
Wish I could get to this but unfortunately won't be able to. Hope it's a great event!

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »
Lots of great folks there last night at a decent new venue... but we missed your presence, too.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
Lots of great folks there last night at a decent new venue... but we missed your presence, too.

It was a great venue, lots of room and plenty of helpful bar staff. And like Allen, I missed seeing a lot of people. Where were all the Londoners? We had folk turning up from Staffordshire, Derbyshire -- even Devon...

If we want BFS Open Nights in such a venue we have to fill the function room.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Here's my take on the Xmas Open Night. The things we do for art and the BFS...

http://petercoleborn.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/friday-the-13th/

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Phew! Sounds like you and Jan had a bit of a nightmare (but not on Elm Street) on Friday the 13th, Peter! ;-)

Actually, I hope someone starts up some BFS events in the north again. I'd go along to those if I could.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »
Peter and Jan - Sorry to hear about your problems getting home. It was great to see you both and buy a copy of Rod's book. The photos you took of my Christmas jumper are proving very popular, so it wasn't all wasted effort!

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 06:30:28 PM »
It sounds like a long haul for you Peter,

Allen the jumper looks wonderful.

Wayne.