Author Topic: Proposing an award named for Joel Lane  (Read 23332 times)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Proposing an award named for Joel Lane
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
It would be great if an award in his name was suggested at the BFS Christmas night (or even voted upon by email by committee members to make it happen if that is how it works) rather than leaving it any length of time. Then an announcement as soon as possible. It is consoling thought. To hear his name read out each year would be wonderful. Having him there with us in the moment.

Stephen. How does the process work?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:08:27 PM by allybird »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Proposing an award named for Joel Lane
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »
Hi Allyson

I've moved your post to a new thread in the awards part of the forum so that we can discuss it there. I wouldn't want to have a conversation about technicalities in a thread where people are sharing their memories of Joel.

The BFS committee can't make changes to the awards rules. Any BFS member who would like to propose a change to the rules should submit the proposed change in writing to the chair before the next AGM, and if seconded it will be voted on there.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
Thank you, Stephen!

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
'The BFS committee can't make changes to the awards rules. Any BFS member who would like to propose a change to the rules should submit the proposed change in writing to the chair before the next AGM, and if seconded it will be voted on there.'

That would be a two year wait. Put forward next year and awarded the year after...can't anything be done to speed that process up?

Joel won The World Fantasy Award this year with his wonderful collection, Where Furnaces Burn, (PS Publishing). He didn't win the BFS one but was in the final ballot. Robert Shearman won with his excellent work. It just would be quite a great gesture to name the award after Joel.

'Best Collection
From Hell to Eternity, Thana Niveau (Gray Friar Press)
Remember Why You Fear Me, Robert Shearman (ChiZine Publications)
Where Furnaces Burn, Joel Lane (PS Publishing)
The Woman Who Married a Cloud, Jonathan Carroll (Subterannean Press)'

Knowing Joel well, and although modest, he would appreciate and love the gesture. And down through the years it will be there when he, sadly...will not. Something permanent. Lasting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:19:56 AM by allybird »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:33:08 PM »
The committee did previously have the power to vote in changes, but it was removed a couple of years ago.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
I think it would be very appropriate for Joel to be awarded the lifetime achievement award this year, but of course this is a matter for the committee.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 11:17:45 AM »
This is a personal opinion, not necessarily that of the committee:

I was a friend of Joel's for 30 years or so. We shared many personal, painful secrets over the years. I would love him to be honoured. However, renaming an award after him just doesn't feel right to me. It feels like a kneejerk reaction, one that Joel -- I believe -- would be uncomfortable with. Perhaps the society could consider a tribute anthology, to be published at FC2014 (I'll suggest it to them).

I still can't believe he has left us...

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
'Uncomfortable' I understand what you mean there, but as another writer has just pointed out to me, he was like that with any form of praise. He'd be quietly pleased I feel.

A tribute anthology on its own does not seem nearly enough.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »
Sorry, Allyson, as a member, and as the administrator of the awards, I'm not in favour either, for the same reason I was against naming an award after Robert Holdstock, here. I think it's notable that we now have four awards named for men. Despite my respect for Joel's work, I'm against making that five. I'd prefer to scale back the number of named awards we have, if anything.

The BFS committee has discussed the idea, and would prefer to find different ways to honour Joel's life and work, for example at next year's FantasyCon. But as explained above, it's not in our power to say yes or no to a proposal to change the awards rules. If a member proposes this at next year's AGM the committee's votes count for no more or less than the votes of other members.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:43:53 AM »
An anthology (which would not be there every year) on its own does not seem nearly enough. An event in his honour next year at Fantasycon would of course be wonderful but there again it would not be permanent.

Could a postal vote letter be sent out to members with the next mailing of the journal? Asking the members what they would like to do? Almost a year is a very long time until the AGM. And if it was decided on an award in his memory it could be presented like that next year.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:48:22 AM by allybird »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:57 AM »
No, a postal vote wouldn't have any effect on the rules. The last one, the big internet vote, didn't affect the rules directly either - it would have had to have been given effect by a committee or EGM/AGM vote. And those changes removed the committee's power to vote in changes to the awards rules.

Have you considered setting up a new, separate award yourself in Joel's name? Named awards usually tend to be standalones, like the Arthur C. Clarke, John W. Campbell, Philip K. Dick, James Tiptree, David Gemmell and Shirley Jackson awards - even our own August Derleth award was originally a singleton. A Joel Lane Award, specifically for, say, slipstream writing, might find much interesting work to recognise.

If you wanted to explore that option, I'd be happy to provide any help and advice I can. And though I can't make promises on the FantasyCon 2014 team's behalf, I wouldn't be surprised if a slot could be found in the FantasyCon schedule for its presentation. For example, it could form part of the event planned for the Joel Lane Bar.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 05:37:59 AM »
Unfortunately I do not have the resources to do that and it would be good to have a permanent venue for it to take place...like at the BFS Awards itself. I already read 80 odd collections or so for the HWA Stoker Awards as Chair each year (and gather many of them in). Joel was always telling me to stop volunteering for things, and write another novel.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
Shame - a standalone Joel Lane Award would be able to reflect his sensibilities and interests in a way our awards never could, and would do much more to promote works in a similar vein. Plus, you wouldn't have to wait. The award could be set up in the next couple of months, submissions invited from publishers, jurors recruited - the first award could be presented next year.

I doubt it would require much in the way of financial resources - publishers are often happy to send reading copies directly to jurors. Maybe something to consider when you stop working on the Stokers? It might even be a project worth dropping the Stokers for - and your experience on those would be invaluable in setting up a new award.

Up to you, of course, and I understand that you're busy with other projects, but if you're really keen to institute an award in Joel's name I think it's worth serious consideration as the most viable option. It would I agree be much more work than tagging his name onto an existing society award, but that work would give it more meaning as a tribute to his life and writing.

As far as the BFAs go, you'd be waiting for the next AGM, and my sense is that it's unlikely to pass, if proposed. No one on the committee spoke in favour, nor have any BFS members here. I think "We'd have five awards named after men" is just too big a hurdle for the proposal to get over. I could be wrong, though. Can you think of anything to counter that particular objection?

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »
"I think "We'd have five awards named after men" is just too big a hurdle for the proposal to get over."

There could be some justification perhaps in considering renaming one of the awards instead.

Although I still admire what he did for the genre during the 40s, 50s and 60s, principally as one of the founders of Arkham House and as an editor of numerous anthologies, time has not looked favourably on August Derleth, and I am sure there are many in the fantasy/horror community who would struggle to explain who he was nowadays.

Perhaps rather than creating a new award, it may be time to think about renaming an existing one such as the August Derleth Award. 

Just a suggestion.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
'As far as the BFAs go, you'd be waiting for the next AGM, and my sense is that it's unlikely to pass, if proposed. No one on the committee spoke in favour, nor have any BFS members here.'

Not many members post on this forum. When I mentioned it on facebook it got over 50 positive responses. Many from writers we all know. Whether they are members or not I can't say....hence it would be good to have a vote on it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:20:09 AM by allybird »