Author Topic: Proposing an award named for Joel Lane  (Read 66025 times)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Re: Proposing an award named for Joel Lane
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2013, 06:29:30 pm »
Rosanne Rabinowitz has put a list of tribute blogs at the bottom of her piece....also.

http://rosannerabinowitz.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/joel-lane-1963-2013-theres-always-a-link-between-deprivation-and-fantasy/

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2013, 07:16:42 pm »

Sorry Jen. 'Sticking Joel's name on something,' Named after a competition? Not enough ....Joel was a giant in the genre.

So was James White and the BSFA & Interzone have no problem honouring him with a story comp.

I will freely admit that I've never seen the point in slapping anyone's name on an award, no matter how well loved and respected they were and I personally think there are better ways the BFS could do Joel tribute but if the majority of members want his name on something then there is the option of the story comp as a workable compromise if a named award is untenable.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2013, 07:18:13 pm »
Or if sticking Joel's name on something is what people want, do it on the BFS story comp instead? That wouldn't need an AGM vote would it? And it covers both his interest in short fiction and his encouragement of new talent.  So the BFS/Joel Lane Prize for Short Fiction, kinda thing.

Sorry, not currently a member, shutting up now.   ;)

Sorry Jen. 'Sticking Joel's name on something,' Named after a competition? Not enough ....Joel was a giant in the genre.

Ligotti on Joel..
'The death of Joel Lane is indeed a sad loss, not only for those who knew him personally (a number that unfortunately I cannot count myself among) but also for ghost and gothic literature. Indeed, his contributions to these genres elevated their literary standing for over twenty-five years. All appraisal of this species of writing is now lessened by his absence. I recall marveling at the enviable and especially the urbane quality of his fiction in British fanzines as early as the 1980s, when he appeared in such publications as David Sutton and Stephen Jones’s Fantasy Tales and anthologies including Karl Edward Wagner’s Year’s Best Horror Stories. As I’ve remarked in interviews and elsewhere, I’ve always had a special admiration and appetite for British horror and ghost fiction, and Joel Lane was a master among his peers in that country. I also admired Joel as a literary critic. Among several examples of his critical acumen I relished was his essay on Robert Bloch’s contribution to the Cthulhu Mythos in the novel Strange Eons. This consideration of what is perhaps the best of Bloch’s novels stirred me to read and admire this work, which I had acquired from its publisher (Stuart Schiff’s Whispers Press) but had not yet read. On a personal note, I’ll always remember Joel’s extensive review of my omnibus collection The Nightmare Factory. His opening comment on the stories of mine that first appeared in this volume was simply the following: “They are excellent.” Coming from Joel, I felt confident that these new stories had succeeded, and a number of them have been since counted among my better works. I regret that I never communicated the appreciation and respect I held for him throughout his career.'

Well, yes, on reading it again, "sticking Joel's name on something" does not strike the right tone at all.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »
....I personally think there are better ways the BFS could do Joel tribute but if the majority of members want his name on something then there is the option of the story comp as a workable compromise if a named award is untenable.

I think the intention is for something recurrent like the Karl Edward Wagner award who was a BFS convention loved figure whom I knew and who also died quite young.

I would be grateful myself to hear of any alternative honours of a recurrent nature as I have never been keen on awards named after people - but I do genuinely think Joel, more than anyone, transcends any such objections.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:29 pm »
Yes, I did actually suggest on Ally's initial Facebook post the short story competition as a possible way to honour Joel. In fact, I wrongly assumed this was what Ally was suggesting too at first. I don't know if this would require the same kind of AGM-only decision that the BFAs need?

It seemed to me that renaming the short story competition after Joel would be a great way to honour him. He was always keen to help new writers, so this would seem to me to be a good way to honour him. I believe - when I tagged Allen in Ally's FB post - Allen liked the idea too (though I may be remembering this incorrectly - best ask Allen!).

I'm not sure what your objection to this idea is, Ally? You say "it's not enough". But this would be an annual thing, where his name would be read out each year at the awards - which is what you were seeking, is it not?
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:10 pm »
....I personally think there are better ways the BFS could do Joel tribute but if the majority of members want his name on something then there is the option of the story comp as a workable compromise if a named award is untenable.

I think the intention is for something recurrent like the Karl Edward Wagner award who was a BFS convention loved figure whom I knew and who also died quite young.

I would be grateful myself to hear of any alternative honours of a recurrent nature as I have never been keen on awards named after people - but I do genuinely think Joel, more than anyone, transcends any such objections.

As Des says...and as I have shown with the Ligotti tributes (And the long list of others attached to Rosanne's tribute) Joel was a monumental figure in the genre. A giant in the genre and a genius in fact. He was a finalist in the BFS for Best Collection this year. Rob won with his fine collection. Joel will never....ever be able to be nominated again. The next best thing is to be honoured by having this award named after him.

Best Collection
From Hell to Eternity, Thana Niveau (Gray Friar Press)
Remember Why You Fear Me, Robert Shearman (ChiZine Publications)
Where Furnaces Burn, Joel Lane (PS Publishing)
The Woman Who Married a Cloud, Jonathan Carroll (Subterannean Press)

http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3592.0

Yes Caroline Allen Ashley and Simon Marshall Jones  suggested the Best Short Story award to be named after him. I suggested Best Collection.   

PAGE ONE here I raised it....and my proposal on my fb page here 'Can we please have a The British Fantasy Society award for collection or short story named after Joel Lane ? To hear his name read out each year would mean a lot. He's influenced so many of us.' ...Now it has 70 positive 'likes' (no other way of saying it another way).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:36:19 am by allybird »

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2013, 10:31:16 am »
I've read all the posts here about the proposed award and have avoided commenting until now. I personally agree that Joel was a giant in the genre, and I think he would be astonished (and probably embarrassed) at the incredible outpouring of emotion that his death has created. However, I'm not convinced that having an award in his honour is the right thing to do. Without naming any names, I can think of at least another three writers/editors in our community who - when the time comes - it could also be argued that they would be deserving of a named award. For that reason alone, my personal opinion is that it would be more appropriate for Joel to be given the Karl Edward Wagner Lifetime Achievement award at this year's fantasy con (although this award is a committee decision only and cannot be voted on). Whilst I agree it would be great to hear his name at award ceremonies year after year I'm sure his memory will be raised in our memories and in our future discussions of the genre. I also think it would be something Joel would be more likely to approve of, rather than an ongoing thing (although I appreciate that's presumptuous of me to comment on his behalf).

Edited for spelling only.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:09:40 pm by Andrew Hook »

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2013, 05:00:16 pm »
Here, Here. I totally agree, Andrew.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
Here, Here. I totally agree, Andrew.

There does seem something wrong in this being cast as a conflict as to what is due or just for Joel from his co-members of the BFS. A simple timely vote would put an end to that.

Offline Jec

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »
Timely being the word...

Offline Ramsey Campbell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ramsey Campbell
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2013, 02:23:44 pm »
I've read all the posts here about the proposed award and have avoided commenting until now. I personally agree that Joel was a giant in the genre, and I think he would be astonished (and probably embarrassed) at the incredible outpouring of emotion that his death has created. However, I'm not convinced that having an award in his honour is the right thing to do. Without naming any names, I can think of at least another three writers/editors in our community who - when the time comes - it could also be argued that they would be deserving of a named award. For that reason alone, my personal opinion is that it would be more appropriate for Joel to be given the Karl Edward Wagner Lifetime Achievement award at this year's fantasy con (although this award is a committee decision only and cannot be voted on). Whilst I agree it would be great to hear his name at award ceremonies year after year I'm sure his memory will be raised in our memories and in our future discussions of the genre. I also think it would be something Joel would be more likely to approve of, rather than an ongoing thing (although I appreciate that's presumptuous of me to comment on his behalf).

Edited for spelling only.

It's a touching idea, Andrew, but surely that might lead to the KEW award being given as a memorial in future, which I don't think is a good idea - people who deserve it deserve to know they've received it, I think.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:07 am »
Actually, Ramsey, your point makes a lot of sense. I suppose it was in my mind because the KEW award went to Iain Banks this year.

Offline Ramsey Campbell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ramsey Campbell
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2013, 10:15:44 pm »
Actually, Ramsey, your point makes a lot of sense. I suppose it was in my mind because the KEW award went to Iain Banks this year.

I think Iain was chosen before he died, Andrew.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
Re: Joel Lane
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2014, 08:38:29 pm »
I agree we should name one of the awards in his honour.

I was wondering whether there is any news from the BFS on this, i.e. a membership vote so that, if the vote is in favour, we can start calling, say, the Collection award under Joel's name in preparation for it being rubber-stamped at the next AGM?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2014, 10:58:03 am »
No. As previously explained, the soonest this proposal can be given effect is at the next AGM. And it will only be considered there if a BFS member has sent a proposal in writing to the chair. No constitutional need to copy me in on any awards proposals, but it's a good idea.