Author Topic: Proposing an award named for Joel Lane  (Read 23058 times)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Re: Proposing an award named for Joel Lane
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »
What is the current size of the membership?

Peter mentioned on a different thread yesterday that it was just under 300.

Thank you Des. I've seen that now.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2014, 11:58:55 PM »
Or before online voting is possibly put in place would it be possible to do the following? Isn't there a journal due to go out? Can't there be a slip of paper with a simple set of suggestions with voting options for a possible award for Joel Lane included? It goes to all members..you'd get more votes in than from some poorly attended AGM on a Sunday morning at Fantasycon.

No. See posts #2 and #10. But see also post #57 where I explain how to go about having your proposal decided by a membership vote, if that's what you really want.

Nb. Post #57 is also where I asked users to stop using the Edit function to add substantial amounts of additional material to posts. It's not cricket, and in the past we have removed or restricted users' access to the Edit function in such circumstances.

Can we have the exact wording quoted from the minutes that says that can't be done?

See posts #39 and #48.

How many attended last year's AGM? Those who could get there that is as obviously overseas members can't (no disabled access either).
What is the current size of the membership?

Neither of these things are relevant to this proposal. And as a matter of record, I said that there were access issues, I didn't say that there was no access.

James Barclay has said he will look into it all. I've contacted him and have been chatting to him. He said he'd look into it all after Christmas.....

I think you may have misunderstood James. Yes, he's taken your professed interest in constitutional change to be sincere and plans to look into it. But everything I have said in this thread stands, and will continue to stand.

So please stop trying to find a way to circumvent the awards constitution, suborn the AGM, get a different answer from somebody else, or have me overruled. It's a waste of your time, and more importantly a waste of mine!

I would in any case simply refuse to apply any changes that I did not consider to have been  made according to the awards constitution. Instead, prepare your proposal for the AGM. The thread contains much useful advice on that score.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
I'd now rather wait for the outcome of the committee's discussions we were told about yesterday and hopefully some comments on this (to which the number at the  last AGM is relevant)...

...but there are many things to consider if online proposals are to be adopted because surely we all agree that they must be inclusive and democratic. 

Thanks for coming to the BFS Forum to set out the BFS position on this issue.
I am sure many members will look forward to hearing the outcome. But, meanwhile, in the interests of what you say above, I personally would be grateful if the worries and suggestions put forward from this point onward of another thread could be commented upon, i.e. matters that have been placed in sharp relief, I feel, by the points arising from this 'Joel Lane' thread.
Thanks again, Des

I would be in favour of removing all the awards named after people, as I said at outset, but if we do have named awards, I agree that Joel is worthy of such honour. I have been told there is a groundswell of membership in favour of this and that is why I have been supporting it. We would only know for certain with a vote. But I don't think we should argue with such a tone as in the last few posts on this thread, imo.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »
As far as the committee discussion goes, nothing can possibly happen there that will lead to this (or any other) awards proposal being implemented any sooner than at the AGM.

If anyone has anything further to say on the subject of bringing this proposal at this year's AGM, the thread can stay open. Otherwise, in my view, it has outlived its usefulness and I'm going to lock it.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
Just a last thought from me. There is a danger, without a vote, that a proposal such as the JL award will get through an AGM without membership support just as easily as it might not get through even if it has membership support, is there not?
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
Dear me, Des. I did say this thread would be locked unless it was being used to discuss bringing the proposal at the AGM. There is a more appropriate thread for discussing the supposed shortcomings of our current decision-making process, which you know full well I have no power to change.

As a moderator of the awards board I decided to transfer your post to a more appropriate place, where I was perfectly happy to discuss the issues raised, and yet you have decided to post it here again. So have it your way - thread locked.

If I hear from the chair that a BFS member has actually sent him this proposal I will re-open the thread to allow for discussion of it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:29:27 PM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
A final reminder that if you are a BFS member and you want to propose that any of the changes brought up in this thread be made to the British Fantasy Awards rules, you need to send your proposal in writing to the chair, Mark Barrowcliffe. The email address is chair@britishfantasysociety.org.

Given how little time remains before the AGM, please also copy the secretary James Dunn (secretary@britishfantasysociety.org) in on your email to the chair. He's putting together the agenda. Thursday evening at the latest, please.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:20:01 PM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
Just to confirm, no proposal along these lines was made to the AGM.