Author Topic: British Fantasy Awards 2014  (Read 16759 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: British Fantasy Awards 2014
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »
I've just done a rough count of the votes that have come in so far.

2012: 952 votes were cast
2013: 1374 votes were cast
2014: 1623 votes cast so far, with six hours of voting still to go

Six hours to go, and then I can start working out the nominees.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 12:18:20 AM »
Voting has now closed. 122 forms were submitted, casting about 1790 votes. I'll now check that they are all from eligible voters, work out which items make the shortlist, and check that the shortlisted items are all eligible for this year's awards, and make sure none of their votes came from people voting for their own material.

Then, once I know who the member-voted nominees are, I will begin to assemble the jurors for this year. Once they're all in place, the jurors will be given a period of time to decide on egregious omissions.

When they have, I will announce the nominees. There are a few steps before we get to that point, so I'm not yet going to say when that will be, but I wouldn't expect it for at least two or three months.

Thanks to everyone who took part!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
I didn't know you could be on the jury for more than one category.

(David's post is from Matt Hughes' thread, and Matt replied to it there - copying it here for an official reply too in case it's a question of general interest.)

Yes, it's fine to be on more than one jury - e.g. Rachel Kendall was on two last time. In this case, Matt was on the main jury last year, which judged a lot of categories, too many, I think. I've invited the main jury back like everyone else, but asked those returning to let me know which categories they would prefer, because I'm unbundling the categories a bit more.

For example, I've asked the returning main jurors to choose between serving on best fantasy novel and best horror novel, because I think those two should operate independently. For practical reasons I think best magazine should be a separate jury, like best small press - a year's worth of up to six magazines can be a lot of reading. And best film/tv and best comic I think are well suited to being judged by people with a particular interest in those areas.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »
I'm approaching people to fill the remaining slots on the awards juries this week - if you'd be interested, do get in touch. If I don't have space for you this time, I'll keep you in mind for next year. Don't feel you have to be a big name writer to apply - I'm always keen for enthusiastic readers to be involved.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
The juries for the British Fantasy Awards 2014 are as follows:

Best Fantasy Novel (the Robert Holdstock Award)
Gary Couzens
Laurel Sills
Matthew Hughes
Neil Williamson
Selina Lock

Best Horror Novel (the August Derleth Award)
Cate Gardner
Jim McLeod
Mark West
Pauline Morgan
Thana Niveau

Best Novella
Aleksandra Kesek
Jo Thomas
Paul Holmes

Best Short Story
David Tallerman
Matthew Hughes
Pauline Morgan

Best Anthology
Carole Johnstone
Gary Couzens
Matthew Hughes

Best Collection
Matthew Hughes
Ole Andreas Imsen
Pauline Morgan

Best Small Press
Dave Brzeski
Elaine Hillson
Elloise Hopkins
Rachel Kendall
Rhian Bowley

Best Comic/Graphic Novel
Jay Eales
Jennie Gyllblad
P.M. Buchan

Best Artist
Jennie Gyllblad
P.M. Buchan
Rachel Kendall

Best Non-Fiction
Djibril al-Ayad
Emma Newman
Jason Arnopp

Best Magazine/Periodical
Aleksandra Kesek
Donna Bond
Jim McLeod

Best Film/Television Episode
Adrian Faulkner
Catherine Hill
Gary Couzens

Best Newcomer (the Sydney J. Bounds Award)
Douglas Thompson
Ian Hunter
Lizzie Barrett

The juries for the British Fantasy Awards are appointed by the Awards Administrator (me) under the supervision of the British Fantasy Society committee. The BFS committee itself is the jury for the Special Award (the Karl Edward Wagner Award).

The juries have begun the process of deciding whether to add any egregious omissions to the nominees decided by the voters of the British Fantasy Society and FantasyCon. We hope to announce the resulting shortlists at the British Fantasy Society Open Night on 6 June 2014.

The juries will then go on to decide the winners of the awards, to be announced at FantasyCon 2014, which takes place in York on 5–7 September 2014.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
I presume that the pool of possible jurors was not large enough to avoid any individual working on more than one jury.  I notice one individual has the onerous task of working on four fiction categories, for example.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 04:30:38 PM »
This year I decided against having a single main jury, but I gave last year's main jury the option of choosing the categories to which they would like to return. My post of 29 March 2014 earlier in this thread goes into a bit more detail on my reasons for both decisions.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »
A bit of news: this year we've commissioned a new physical award, a chunky handmade wooden bookend featuring the BFS logo. It's the work of Sarah Goss, a woodworker we found on Etsy (see her work here). I'm using Timpson online to produce the name plates.

The first of the new awards, produced on its own as a test run, is being given to Carl Ford, who won Best Small Press for Dagon in 1991, but didn't realise he had until reading the awards listing in last year's World Fantasy Convention souvenir book. We'd hoped to present him with it at the BFS Open Night on June 6, after announcing this year's nominees, but unfortunately he's not available on that date.

This will be the fifth award design used in five years, but I'm hopeful that this one will stick. The overall price will be about the same as the awards from the last couple of years. If I have a bit of spare time before sending the award to Carl I'll try to take a decent photo of it to appear in the next available journal.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »
Why is this the fifth design in five years? Do you know what kind of message such indecision sends out?
Mike Chinn

Offline neilw

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • neilwilliamson
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
I think it's admirable to vary to design of the award every year.

On a practical level, using single-person business artisans is a fabulous way of supporting the grassroots artistic community and should be applauded, but individual artists might not be able to commit to supply the awards every year.

So, by changing the supplier every year the recipients get a unique, handcrafted artefact that is different to those the winners receive in other years (and therefore more special) and the society supports the sculptural arts at the same level as it supports the literary ones.

Sounds perfect to me.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »
Seems odd, but this is actually the first of those changes initiated by the awards administrator.

The change from the winged demon used in 2009 was at the request of the sculptor - they were tricky to produce and too fragile to send by courier. The replacement design for 2010 was a groovy genre-inclusive demon/alien with a dragon's egg, from the same sculptor. An incoming chair decided those awards were too expensive and said he would select a cheaper alternative. I resigned soon after, but I think in the end another new design was commissioned from the same sculptor for 2011.

In late 2011, the membership voted in a rule that the award "should be abstract or genre-neutral in design, avoiding any preference for horror, fantasy etc", meaning the previous design was no longer suitable, nor was anything in that vein. (Nitpickers would argue that we shouldn’t even use the BFS logo because of the f and the dragon, but we do.) So an abstract etched crystalline award fitting the bill was used for 2012, and a slightly different version (I think because of availability) of the same was used for 2013.

I liked the crystal awards just fine, they were attractive and had a lot of advantages, but I didn't want to keep using an off-the-peg award if we could find an interesting, sustainable and practical alternative. The new awards are the sturdiest we’ve ever had, so no problems shipping them anywhere. They're handmade and have the proper heft of an award. And we can get them made up well in advance, leaving just the plaques to order (which now takes just a few days) when the jurors arrive at their decisions.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:04 PM »
Having just read Neil's reply, yes, I'm definitely keen on supporting artisans. The basic idea of this award (the BFS logo on a bookend) was mine, so if Sarah ever stops doing this kind of work, we can ask another woodworker to put their own spin on it.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
I think it's admirable to vary to design of the award every year.

On a practical level, using single-person business artisans is a fabulous way of supporting the grassroots artistic community and should be applauded, but individual artists might not be able to commit to supply the awards every year.

So, by changing the supplier every year the recipients get a unique, handcrafted artefact that is different to those the winners receive in other years (and therefore more special) and the society supports the sculptural arts at the same level as it supports the literary ones.

Sounds perfect to me.

I like that the Hugos and Stokers et al change their design every year. However, I agree that some of the recent award statuettes were not suitable and so I hope that the new one is good enough for the long term. But I don't understand the bit about changing supplier -- does this mean changing the design or the people who make the award from a mould?

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be better, these days, not to have any physical awards at all. The award is in the award itself.
My BFS award in 1998 fell off its plinth pretty soon thereafter.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline neilw

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • neilwilliamson
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »
I must admit I wan't aware of the reasons for changing the award design so often over the last few years. But I still like the idea of doing it intentionally. It doesn't matter whether you change the supplier or just the design, I think it's good to support small scale artists in some way.