Author Topic: British Fantasy Awards 2014  (Read 16754 times)

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
Re: British Fantasy Awards 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »
I wonder if there is any BFS member who is a sculptor?
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »
I must admit I wan't aware of the reasons for changing the award design so often over the last few years. But I still like the idea of doing it intentionally. It doesn't matter whether you change the supplier or just the design, I think it's good to support small scale artists in some way.

I like the idea that being able to rely on a regular order for fourteen or fifteen of these might help make it possible for someone to carry on doing the thing they love. I've no plans to change the basic design again, though there could be tweaks - we were offered gold leaf for the dragon's eye, different woods may be available, there are different approaches to staining the wood, things like that.

I liked the sculpted awards, and we'd still be using Augusta (as I named the demon/alien award - the prototype head of which still sits balefully on top of my monitor!) now if it had been up to me. But they did take a long, long time to produce, and we didn't own the design rights.

What I love about using a bookend is that it will become a part of people's lives, on their bookshelves with their books. Half the awards will be left-hand bookends, the other half right-hand bookends, and I'll keep a note of who won which, so that in future years I can provide second time winners with the complementary end.

I've had one here with me for the last few weeks and I'll be very sad to give it up. I love the smell of it, the way it catches the light differently over the course of the day, and most importantly the way I could despatch a zombie with the pointy bit. Maybe even a vampire if I put my shoulder into it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
For anyone who is interested, here's a photo of Augusta, out of focus but that's the way s/he likes it. I've never won an award myself, but at least I've got the head of one. Shame that design didn't last longer - we put a lot of work into making sure it represented all the different interests of the society. I seem to remember someone saying to David Langford that it looked like it would murder all of his other awards as soon as he left the room.

(I resisted the temptation to rearrange the books behind for a more appealing shelfie. Modern Humorous Quotations is there on the right because it's part of a Penguin reference box set, not because it's one of my go-to reference works!)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
What are the dimensions of the new award?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
About 18 cm wide x 21 cm high x 12 cm deep.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
About 18 cm wide x 21 cm high x 12 cm deep.

Thanks -- I hope a photo is posted soon.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
I'm not planning to post a photo here, but like I say above, if I'm able to take a decent picture it may appear in a forthcoming issue of the journal. But maybe not - there's nothing magical about an award until someone has won it.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
I'm not planning to post a photo here, but like I say above, if I'm able to take a decent picture it may appear in a forthcoming issue of the journal. But maybe not - there's nothing magical about an award until someone has won it.

Will it be a bookend that can stand on its own, if the winner only collects ebooks?
My question about having a physical trophy at all for an award these days is relevant to this new virtual age. The magic is in the award itself, I feel.
Also it would be nice one day to have a BFS member sculpt any physical trophy, if we decide that an award needs a physical trophy.
PS:A rolled up certificate is often given for academic awards. I was given a certificate as well as a physical trophy when I had my BFS award in 1998.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:19:29 PM by Des Lewis »

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Des, the very first BFS Award was a scroll. Then it was a Jim Pitts-designed statuette and then, for a long time, the phallic Dave Carson piece. I'm not sure why the Pitts one was dropped. I think both these were wonderful looking awards and it's a pity they have been superseded.  The reason why the Carson statuette was dropped, though, was cost. They were damned expensive to cast, especially noticeable when the number of awards increased. I just hope that the new award is as good -- and it is a shame that Stephen refuses to post a picture of one here. Shouldn't the membership be permitted to see what they pay for?

I disagree, Des, with your comments about receiving a physical award. It's something special to put on the shelf, to show your friends. Following your argument, no Olympic medals or FA Cups or Victoria Crosses.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Des, the very first BFS Award was a scroll. Then it was a Jim Pitts-designed statuette and then, for a long time, the phallic Dave Carson piece. I'm not sure why the Pitts one was dropped. I think both these were wonderful looking awards and it's a pity they have been superseded.  The reason why the Carson statuette was dropped, though, was cost. They were damned expensive to cast, especially noticeable when the number of awards increased. I just hope that the new award is as good -- and it is a shame that Stephen refuses to post a picture of one here. Shouldn't the membership be permitted to see what they pay for?
I disagree, Des, with your comments about receiving a physical award. It's something special to put on the shelf, to show your friends. Following your argument, no Olympic medals or FA Cups or Victoria Crosses.

Thanks. Peter. That's helpful and part of me agrees with you, being a stickler still for real books rather than ebooks. But I recall I raised the subject of not having a physical trophy a few years ago on this forum. So I haven't just brought this idea out of a hat. Times are still changing. In the old days, there was no website entry for winners, which now is a sort of permanent trophy that everyone can see rather than the winner looking at something sitting on his or her own mantlepiece. Still, I can see what you are saying.
I agree that it would be nice to be offered a chance to comment on a picture of the new trophy before the Society is committed to it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:46:54 PM by Des Lewis »

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 01:39:31 AM »
This news on a new design for the BFS award comes a bit out of the blue. I would welcome a picture being posted – after all, it’s our subs over the years that have paid for it.
Peter, you are spot on with the need for a physical award. The FA Cup, the World Cup, the Champions League trophy, the Crown Jewels… we humans are physical beings. The danger with going wholly virtual would be that an award would be as meaningless as those gold coins on a Super Mario Kart arcade game.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »

Peter, you are spot on with the need for a physical award. The FA Cup, the World Cup, the Champions League trophy, the Crown Jewels… we humans are physical beings. The danger with going wholly virtual would be that an award would be as meaningless as those gold coins on a Super Mario Kart arcade game.

Quite!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »

Quite!

A scroll is physical, too. The Queen's Baton doing the rounds at the moment for the Commonwealth Games would be nothing without the Queen's scrolled message inside it.
Not that I feel particularly protective of my old idea about having no physical sculpture as trophy. :)
I think, like Peter and Allen, it is more important to be given the chance to see a photo of the new award.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
Certainly no plans at present to do away with the physical awards, though you never know what ideas future chairs might have - if the BFS and FantasyCon chairs refused to pay for anything but a scroll that's what our awards would become.

This tweet from Mailboxes Etc saying they're a British Fantasy Award nominee confused me a bit yesterday: https://twitter.com/MailBoxesWaterl/status/471234618302427136

Turns out they're up for the British Franchising Award. Must have heard they were up for a BFA and googled it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 02:17:34 AM »
The thirteen BFA juries are now concluding their decisions on whether to add any items under the egregious omissions rule. The complete list of nominees will be announced at the BFS Open Night this Friday.

Those thirteen juries, and the BFS Committee, which acts as the jury for the Special Award, now have until the end of July to decide on the winners of each award, to be presented in September at FantasyCon in York.