Author Topic: BFS Journal irregularity  (Read 4438 times)

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
BFS Journal irregularity
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
For reference, here's a checklist of BFS publications from the last few years (taken and expanded from an old forum post). I'll edit this post to keep it up to date (and add in Prisms as I find them). BFS Journal issue numbers are included for ease of reference, but they don't appear on the publication itself till issue nine.

Earlier publications:
Dark Horizons: http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/bfs/dark-horizons-recent-issues/
Winter Chills/Mystique: http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/past-bfs-magazines/
Chapbooks: http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/bfs-booklets/
BFS books: http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/bfs-books/

New Horizons #1 (June 2008) (pb, 80pp), edited by Andrew Hook

Dark Horizons #53 (September 2008) (pb, 80pp), edited by Stephen Theaker

New Horizons #2 (December 2008) [out 2009] (pb, 96pp), edited by Andrew Hook

Dark Horizons #54 (March 2009) (pb, 80pp), edited by Stephen Theaker

Prism (Easter 2009) (chap, 38pp), edited by Lee Harris

New Horizons #3 (June 2009) (pb, 80pp), edited by Andrew Hook

Dark Horizons #55 (September 2009) (pb, 160pp), edited by Stephen Theaker

Prism (September 2009) [out January 2010?] (chap, 48pp), edited by Guy Adams

New Horizons #4 (December 2009) (pb, 96pp), edited by Andrew Hook

Dark Horizons #56 (March 2010) (pb, 128pp), edited by Stephen Theaker

New Horizons #5 (June 2010) (pb, 80pp), edited by Andrew Hook

Prism (June 2010) (chap, 56pp), edited by David A. Riley

Dark Horizons #57 (September 2010] (pb, 112pp), edited by Stephen Theaker

BFS Journal #1 (Winter 2010) [out January 2011] (hb, 228pp), edited by Sam Stone, Andrew Hook, David A. Riley and Ian Hunter

BFS Journal #2 (Spring 2011) [out April 2011] (pb, 210pp), edited by Peter Coleborn, Andrew Hook, David A. Riley and Ian Hunter

BFS Journal #3 (Summer 2011) [out June 2011] (pb, 262pp), edited by Peter Coleborn, Andrew Hook, David A. Riley and Ian Hunter

BFS Journal #4 (Autumn 2011) [out September 2011] (pb, 208pp), edited by Peter Coleborn, Andrew Hook, David A. Riley and Ian Hunter

Full Fathom Forty (September 2011) (pb, 496pp), edited by David J. Howe

BFS Journal #5 (Winter 2011/2012) [out December 2011] (pb, 186pp), edited by Peter Coleborn, Lou Morgan and Ian Hunter

BFS Journal #6 (Spring 2012) [out April 2012] (pb, 200pp), edited by Guy Adams, Lou Morgan and Ian Hunter

Shelflings #1 (April 2012) (eb, 1138ll), compiled by Stephen Theaker

Shelflings #2 (July 2012) (eb, 1499ll), compiled by Stephen Theaker

Shelflings #3 (September 2012) (eb, 1546ll), compiled by Stephen Theaker

BFS Journal #7 (Autumn 2012) [out October 2012] (pb, 200pp), edited by Cavan Scott, Guy Adams, Lou Morgan, Stuart Douglas and Ian Hunter

Shelflings #4 (January 2013) (eb, 1546ll), compiled by Stephen Theaker

BFS Journal #8 (Winter 2012/13) [out February 2013] (pb, 184pp), edited by Cavan Scott, Guy Adams, Stuart Douglas and Ian Hunter

BFS Journal #9 (August 2013) [out September 2013], edited by Sarah Newton, Stuart Douglas and Ian Hunter

The Burning Circus, edited by Johnny Mains (2 November 2013)

Unexpected Journeys, edited by Juliet E. McKenna (2 November 2013)

As there were only two (perhaps more accurately one and a half, as the first was 2012/13) Journals last year, I'm surprised nothing has been said so far about when we can expect the next issue to be out. I hope it is in the pipeline. If not, my worry is that maintaining the society's membership is going to be increasingly more difficult, especially as updates on the society's website have been few (very few) and far between.

I was hoping that with a new committee we would see some sort of dynamism. If it's happening behind closed doors, I think it's time that someone up there came out and told the members. The lack of communication doesn't appear to have improved at all.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
I'm really sorry - while browsing the forum on an old Kindle I've accidentally deleted Wayne's comment. (The page moved after I clicked and the click came down on a moderator option!) I've asked - nay, begged! - Wayne to repost.

I've also asked the committee to drop by with an update. I checked with the new editor yesterday morning, and #10 is not yet typeset. I think the comment in the newsletter saying it was ready to be sent out after the Christmas post was the result of a misunderstanding.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
I've also asked the committee to drop by with an update.

That's good. I remember Wayne's post said something about a survey going out to members. I wondered if that would extend to lapsed members too? I recall seeing James Barclay say something about surveying lapsed members on Facebook. I think I'm a lapsed member now, but I'd be glad to give feedback on why I've let my subscription lapse and what would tempt me back. I really would love to see the BFS thrive again, and to be a part of that. Looking forward to some communication ...
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Not for the first time I wonder whether the BFS has set itself a too high benchmark with the Journal.

Back to before Prism, Dark Horizons and New Horizons were amalgamated into the Journal, the individual publications were typeset by their editors. Prism, which was usually around 50 pages or so long, took me only a matter of a few days to typeset for the printer. I only used Microsoft word to set it out, which I thought was adequate. I certainly had no complaints from anyone about the layout, etc.

The main thing was that during that period of two years, all the BFS publications appeared on time, four times a year.

The amalgamation into the Journal is fine and if that's what everyone wants I have no objection, but I think we need top be more realistic about what a volunteer organisation like the BFS can regularly produce. The first priority, surely, should be timely and regular publications. Without these what have members to see for the money we expect them to pay out each year for their fees? We can't afford to have more years in which the Journal appears sporadically. Either simplify its typesetting so that it can be brought out on time or break it up once more into at least two publications, such as Prism and Dark Horizons. Or just not aim to have such a massive publication when it does appear.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
As much as I prefer the Journal -- its appearance, its feel -- you may have a point, David. Maybe there are too many hands involved in producing the book and we need to look at this again ... I dunno. Let's hope that once the next issue is out and posted to members the 2014 issues follow on time.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
Let's hope that once the next issue is out and posted to members the 2014 issues follow on time.

I agree. Fingers crossed on that.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
As much as I prefer the Journal -- its appearance, its feel -- you may have a point, David.

Let's be honest: the Journal, in its present form, is Dark Horizons in all but name.
Mike Chinn

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »
You're probably right, Mike. The sad thing is that since reviews became online only there seem to be fewer of them. This may just be my imagination, but that's the impression I get.

I do think that the Journal is an overly ambitious, too complex publication for the BFS's volunteer organisation to bring out on a regular basis. As would seem to be proven by how few and far between they've been.

We've got to cut our cloth. If we don't we'll end up with a membership too small to afford it anyway.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
I think that reviews are being posted fairly frequently, but maybe not as frequent as when Jan and I did it.

Sadly, it's new news that is missing. Not sure why. Are people sending their news and updates to news@britishfantasysociety.org ? If not then do so.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »
I've sent numerous news items to them and nothing was ever published

I think that reviews are being posted fairly frequently, but maybe not as frequent as when Jan and I did it.

Sadly, it's new news that is missing. Not sure why. Are people sending their news and updates to news@britishfantasysociety.org ? If not then do so.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
I seriously wonder just how many members use the website. It changes so little I wouldn't be surprised if numbers have fallen a lot. What with a recent history of overly long gaps between publications and a moribund website, I think we need to see a radical shakeup within the BFS. Things can't go on like this. A few of us only renewed our memberships in the expectation of a new committee making some improvements, but so far I have seen nothing other than two anthologies that appeared a lot later than at least one of their editors expected.

Re news on the website. Of the 10 most recent:

4 were posted on the 21/10/13
1 was posted on the 3/11/13
1 was posted on the 10/11/13
1 was posted on the 26/11/13
3 were posted on the 9/12/13

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
Those last three were posted by me -- although I'm not the news editor.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
Phil resigned from the news editor post months ago, and as far as I know the jobís still open if anyone wants it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
Just to note, I've sliced this discussion off from the publishing checklist to which it was previously attached, and locked that post - I'd like to keep it for reference.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Journal irregularity
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
I'd forgotten that Phil had resigned -- his name still appears on the contacts list.