Author Topic: Best Anthology Award  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
Re: Best Anthology Award
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
The voters.

Which begs another question, I suppose - when is a collection a novel by another name?
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
When is a rectangle also a square? Our awards categories aren't designed to be mutually exclusive.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
When is a rectangle also a square? Our awards categories aren't designed to be mutually exclusive.

Yes, I agree,  but some connected collections seem to be - or are even intended to read like  - novels. Voters are allowed to differentiate between fantasy and horror novels that are highly overlapping, but not between a collection and a novel.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
Over breakfast this morning, discussing the British Fantasy Awards, this thought occurred: should the Best Anthology Award be renamed Best Editor Award? Not sure how I feel, but worth posting here -- it might engender some discussion.

What bugs me about these forums is that an idea is postulated for discussion -- and then someone has to come along and make statements that essentially stop discussion. As I said at the beginning of this thread (see quote), this was an idea Jan and I had while eating breakfast and we thought it deserved an airing, that's all. What I didn't expect or want is for a certain person to make quasi-official statements that make people look stupid.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »
Yes, I agree,  but some connected collections seem to be - or are even intended to read like  - novels. Voters are allowed to differentiate between fantasy and horror novels that are highly overlapping, but not between a collection and a novel.

That's the point of what I said - in those cases members are able to vote for the books in both categories. I seem to remember that happening in the past with Douglas Thompson's Ultrameta, for example.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Over breakfast this morning, discussing the British Fantasy Awards, this thought occurred: should the Best Anthology Award be renamed Best Editor Award? Not sure how I feel, but worth posting here -- it might engender some discussion.

What bugs me about these forums is that an idea is postulated for discussion -- and then someone has to come along and make statements that essentially stop discussion. As I said at the beginning of this thread (see quote), this was an idea Jan and I had while eating breakfast and we thought it deserved an airing, that's all. What I didn't expect or want is for a certain person to make quasi-official statements that make people look stupid.

yes, this forum does seems to have become very officious sometimes, Peter.
I agree.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
If an idea is "postulated for discussion" that doesn't just mean people saying nice things about it. It means looking at it critically to see if it stands up under examination, because we shouldn't implement rules that don't.

My views reflect the way that a given rule if it goes through would be implemented. By explaining how a rule would work in practice, I give members the opportunity to amend proposals so that they achieve the desired effect.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »
Yes, master

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
I personally think the award should remain as Best Anthology. In any event, the actual award itself is presented to and retained by the editor, so currently I think it covers both anthology and editor anyway. I'm at work at the moment and can't check, but I have the feeling when I won it for The Alsiso Project back in 2004 the inscription states the award is for best anthology but has "edited by Andrew Hook" on it as well (of course, inscriptions might have changed since then), so again, I feel it covers both.

Offline GaryC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
It says "Ed. Gary Couzens" underneath the anthology title on mine (awarded 2007).