Author Topic: BFS Journal #10  (Read 8058 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Journal #10
« on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
An update on the journal. Editor Max Edwards has asked me to help out on typesetting for the next issue or two. So I've typeset #10, aside from a few bits and bobs which are coming in tomorrow or Monday. Those involved will then have the work week to proofread it, and I'll take in corrections next weekend, with it going to press a week on Monday.

The layout will be slightly different from previous issues, being tweaked for ease of typesetting, printing, and ebook creation, but there will be lots of echoes for the keen-eyed.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Journal #10
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the update Stephen.

Cheers,

Wayne,

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Proofs of #10 have now gone out to the contributing editors, and everyone has a deadline of Saturday 6am for getting any corrections back to me.

If your membership isn't current, rejoin now or risk missing a nice chunky issue! Peter will be producing the address sheet for the printers any day now.

I'll be producing the ebook version as soon as the print edition has gone to press, so there's a good chance that'll be with you next week.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »
Excellent. I look forward to seeing it when it's eventually posted out.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »
Not sure when my membership runs out, who do I check with David?

Are we sent a reminder email?

Wayne.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:22:00 AM »
Yes, you should receive a renewal email from the secretary when it's time to renew. Membership lasts a calendar year from the date the society received your last dues (or a year after the date your membership would have expired last time, if you renewed early).

If you want to check on your membership the person to contact is the membership secretary (secretary@britishfantasysociety.co.uk), Peter Coleborn.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
BFS Journal #10 is off to the printers tomorrow. 168pp of fantasy fun, weirdness and even a dash of controversy.

Contributors include Al Kratz, Allen Ashley, Anne Lyle, Anne Shah, Anton Sim, Cav Scott, Clare Le May, David Buchan, David Gullen, Douglas Thompson, Erik T. Johnson, Gary Budgen, Jaine Fenn, James Barclay, Juliet Boyd, Juliet McKenna, Mark Barrowcliffe, Mike Chinn, Paul Magrs, Pye Parr, Richard Farren Barber, Stuart Douglas, Tammy O’Malley and Zoe Gilbert.

The cover art, originally from Blood and Feathers: Rebellion by Lou Morgan, is by Pye Parr, who is interviewed by Cavan Scott about his work on that and other books.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
A great cover!
 I look forward to reading it and hopefully reviewing its fiction.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Sarah's picked many excellent stories for it, and I think you'll enjoy them. For example, Gary Budgen has a story which I liked a lot called "Souvenirs from Sanctuary Street", about a confused policeman working near an abandoned film studio. Douglas Thompson's "Narcissi", about a guy keeping an alien as a pet, is also interesting, in the ways his stories always are. Hard to choose a favourite from the issue, but I'd probably plump for "One Inch Up" by Anne Shah, about a girl who floats an inch above the ground.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
#10 is with the printers. I'll let you know when we have an ETA. In the meantime, I'll get the ebook version ready.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »
#10 is with the printers. I'll let you know when we have an ETA. In the meantime, I'll get the ebook version ready.

Looking forward to getting it. Hope this heralds the start of the Journal coming out regularly again from now on.  :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
Probably not, would be my guess, as long the journal stays in its current form. I'm helping with #10 and #11, but after that all the factors that have caused the journal to come out two or three times a year instead of four times will continue to apply. It's just tricky putting such a big journal together on a quarterly basis unless you have either plenty of experience or plenty of time, and not many of us do. I struggle sometimes to get TQF out on schedule and I've typeset and edited hundreds of magazines. I'm encouraging my colleagues to aim for it to come out quarterly, but to avoid promising that it will. If I had my druthers we would stop calling it a quarterly altogether.

Regarding #10, the printers have said they plan to be mailing it out to members a fortnight or so into February. As ever, there could be unforeseen delays, but my fingers are crossed.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
I appreciate your honesty, Stephen. And your hard work (yet again!)

I did always think the quality and size of the Journal was set at too high a benchmark for a voluntary organisation like the BFS to sustain. Personally I would prefer to see it come out quarterly but smaller, as that would keep member's interested in the society.

With news on the website not updated since early December and the low usage of the forum, it's only the Journal that most members see of the society.  

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
Yes, my view too is that BFS publications should reflect that they come from a society, rather than a small press with a captive audience! I've gathered together lots of exciting BFS news for #10, and there is both a chairman's chat and a piece from the president. I quite like the idea of bringing the BFS member news section back too, but I don't know if I'll get around to it in time for #11 - it might be something I do one day for Shelflings.

This week I've also been pulling together submission guidelines for the journal, covering all aspects - fiction, features, poetry and art - and they'll go up on the website as soon as all the contributing editors have had a chance to go over it. One of the things I thought was very important to include there is a section inviting members to send letters to the editor, not just regarding the journal, but on all society matters.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
One of the things I thought was very important to include there is a section inviting members to send letters to the editor, not just regarding the journal, but on all society matters.

Couldn't agree more. Brilliant idea. A good way to make members feel involved.