Author Topic: BFS Journal #10  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
Re: BFS Journal #10
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
One of the things I thought was very important to include there is a section inviting members to send letters to the editor, not just regarding the journal, but on all society matters.

Couldn't agree more. Brilliant idea. A good way to make members feel involved.

An interesting idea, one that reminds me favourably of old-fashioned days when I wrote to the editor of the old EAGLE, hoping against hope for a reply personally or in print. It did give a sense of involvement.
I hope, however, this is not intended as fulfilling our past wishes on this official BFS forum for, say, the Journal editor as well as the president and chairman to come here from time to time to hold a conversation that modern communications allow. James Barclay did come here recently and it would be nice to see him here again to answer those outstanding matters. And the chairman who we've never heard from.

Thanks, Stephen, for all your hard work, in the meantime.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
If you need to contact anyone, the committee email addresses should all be working again now. If you'd like them to reply to a particular thread on the forum, email them to say so and provide a link to the thread in question.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 06:20:11 PM »
If you need to contact anyone, the committee email addresses should all be working again now. If you'd like them to reply to a particular thread on the forum, email them to say so and provide a link to the thread in question.

I was amazed at the impression given that these email links have not been working for some months or perhaps even years! Surely, the committee members should already be keeping at least a gentle watching brief on this official BFS forum for anything they may be called to respond to?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
It would be better to bring that up on the relevant thread, rather than taking this thread off-topic. If you have any questions regarding BFS Journal #10, this is the right place.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »
I have just received the BFS Journal #10, and it looks great. Not started reading it yet.

Offline stewartguitar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
I just renewed my membership, which had lapsed at the end of the year.  Does that mean I don't get this one?

That will make me sad.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »
Yes you will, but delayed by a week or so.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Yes, renewals will receive a copy of the issue - but only as long as stocks last, and we've only ordered about 25 extras this time. So if anyone's dithering about whether to rejoin, do it now or risk missing out forever!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
Thanks for the BFS news item in the Journal. Are the official minutes of the AGM 2013 yet available? And did the BFS consider a full BFS obituary for Joel - from among his co-members who knew him best?
And is any honour for Joel being considered beyond the bar being named after him at the next convention?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 07:29:07 PM »
Taking your questions in order:

No. The minutes were taken by hand by the previous membership secretary, and so far as I know they still need to be written up. But if you have any questions not covered by the notes in the journal, ask in the AGM thread and I will do my best to help.

Aside from the BFS news section, the non-fiction content in this issue was (I think) originally assembled last June. If you want to pitch a piece along those lines for #11, best to email Stuart: features@britishfantasysociety.org

Don't know. The chair would probably be the best person to talk to, if there's anything you want to suggest: chair@britishfantasysociety.org

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
I note the BFS Journal did not manage to get someone who knew Joel well enough to write a formal obituary in the Journal that has been published two and half months after his death - an obituary reflecting his long highly notable history with the BFS, its publications and its conventions, his interaction with members in his home area, and his various achievements relating to the field covered by the Society, as crowned by his winning the World Fantasy Award a few weeks before he died.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
I would have been quite happy for my article to be “bumped” in favour of a full obituary.
However, in fairness, I think part of the reason for the omission is that the content for the current issue was ready quite a long time ago – I heard “September” from someone. This means that, as is common with most magazines, they would only have half a page or a page at most left blank for “Stop Press” type news.
As you will also know, the BFS e-Newsletter in December carried my tribute to Joel.
I would note in passing that some other losses – Ballard, Bradbury, Vance – have not been properly covered within the “Journal”. Again, I think the gap between issues is a major factor here.
I agree with you that the BFS should acknowledge our dear friend in print and at length within the “Journal”. The solution is simple: send your own memorial to Stuart Douglas for inclusion within the next issue or ask him to use one of the many other eloquent elegies that other people have posted across the web.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
 I wouldn't expect full obituaries for noted writers in the BFS Journal as a general course, but only for those who had the BFS close to their heart and the writer close to members' hearts as a member of the Society.
There are 8 blank pages at the end of issue #10, so you wouldn't have needed to drop your article, Allen.
I think any obituary should have been in the Journal following his death, and written specially for it. That might have been some consolation to those who wanted to have the next BFS Collection Award named after him.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
I have to agree with Des on this. As he correctly points out there were more than enough blank pages at the end of the Journal for an adequate obituary to have been added.

"I would note in passing that some other losses – Ballard, Bradbury, Vance – have not been properly covered within the “Journal”. Again, I think the gap between issues is a major factor here."

Perhaps this is something to take note of for future issues of the Journal, that losses such as these should definitely be covered when at all possible. As for "the gap between issues", lets hope that from now on this won't be a factor. The BFS needs its publications to come out with as near as damn it clockwork regularity. The lengthy gaps of the past two years have been inexcusable.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
In theory I agree with you, Des. But that issue of the Journal was 'full' and ready for typesetting by October. There probably was a window in which an obituary could've been included but I guess it didn't occur to the Journal team for issue 10 (I hope one appears in issue 11). Obtaining a full obit of Joel would probably have delayed further the publication of Journal #10.

I totally agree with Allen. If the BFS doesn't reflect on the fantasy genre as a whole, which includes the sad deaths of giants of the field, then the society is in danger of becoming too parochial. At the minimum, news of such events should be posted on the BFS website. The BFS news editor has to search around the WWW for such occurances, major awards and book deals/news. Locus Online is a good place to start.