Author Topic: BFS Journal #11  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Journal #11
« on: January 18, 2014, 11:25:30 PM »
Some material for BFS Journal #11 is in hand, and I'll begin typesetting that issue in earnest the first week of March, with it going to press later that month.

The deadline for the contributing editors to get the material to Max is the end of February, so if you want to submit anything for this issue be sure to get it in to them well before then.

So that's Sarah Newton for fiction (journal@britishfantasysociety.org), Stuart Douglas for non-fiction (features@britishfantasysociety.org), and Ian Hunter for poetry (poetry@britishfantasysociety.org).

Letters and artwork submissions should be sent directly to editor Max Edwards (journal@britishfantasysociety.org).

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Journal #11
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »
Thanks again Stephen,

lets hope things are better this year for getting things out, with the FantasyCon in York and not bundled into another con things should be on a stronger footing all round.

Wayne.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
A reminder that I'll be typesetting #11 just a couple of weeks from now, so if you are tempted to send in any letters of comment, on #10 or on any other BFS matters, now is a good time to do it.

Offline Sarah Newton

• Initiate
  • Writer & games designer in a Normandy field...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Site
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm reading and editing stories for Journals 11 and 12 at the moment - thanks to everyone for your submissions, some really great stuff in here.

However, once again I'm faced with a paucity of stories by women writers - so much so that at the moment we're going to miss any kind of gender parity by a country mile.

So - please continue to send through your stories - and if you're a woman writer thinking whether or not to submit, please take the plunge!

Best,

Sarah
Fiction Editor, British Fantasy Society Journal
_____
http://sarahnewtonwriter.com
http://www.mindjammerpress.com

Offline RossWarren

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
A reminder that I'll be typesetting #11 just a couple of weeks from now, so if you are tempted to send in any letters of comment, on #10 or on any other BFS matters, now is a good time to do it.

My only suggestion would be to justify the text as it always looks neater and more professional.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the comment, Ross.

I was following the style of previous issues in that regard, but right justification isn't as ubiquitous in periodicals as it is in books - Empire, Mojo, Radio Times, DWM all have ragged right edges, as does Interzone for everything except the fiction. I'll only be typesetting one more issue so I think I'll leave it for this one so that my two issues match!

Offline James Everington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Scattershot Writing
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »
My first issue since joining - impressive looking contents and the pieces I've read so far are really good.
-- James Everington
Scattershot Writing

Offline Sarah Newton

• Initiate
  • Writer & games designer in a Normandy field...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Site
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
My first issue since joining - impressive looking contents and the pieces I've read so far are really good.

Many thanks indeed, James - that's great to hear. I hope you'll enjoy the next issue too, taking shape at the moment.

All the best,

Sarah
Fiction Editor, British Fantasy Society Journal
_____
http://sarahnewtonwriter.com
http://www.mindjammerpress.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »
BFS Journal #11 has been typeset and the proofs are out to all the contributing editors for checking. We're hoping to send it to press a week on Monday.

It's going to be about 182pp, and features writing and art by, or interviews with, Alex Bardy, Allen Ashley, Deborah Walker, Emma Newman, Freda Warrington, Gary Couzens, Jennie Gyllblad, Jonathan Oliver, M.E. Lerman, Madeleine Beresford, Mark Barrowcliffe, Mark Huntley-James, Mark Lewis, Max Edwards, Megan Kerr, Mike Barrett, Nick Campbell, Ray Cluley, Rima Devereaux, Sandra Unerman, Stuart Douglas and Tim Powers.

It's going to be a good one, and Peter will be preparing the mailing list very shortly, so if your membership isn't current, make it so.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »
BFS Journal #11 has been typeset and the proofs are out to all the contributing editors for checking. We're hoping to send it to press a week on Monday.

It's going to be about 182pp, and features writing and art by, or interviews with, Alex Bardy, Allen Ashley, Deborah Walker, Emma Newman, Freda Warrington, Gary Couzens, Jennie Gyllblad, Jonathan Oliver, M.E. Lerman, Madeleine Beresford, Mark Barrowcliffe, Mark Huntley-James, Mark Lewis, Max Edwards, Megan Kerr, Mike Barrett, Nick Campbell, Ray Cluley, Rima Devereaux, Sandra Unerman, Stuart Douglas and Tim Powers.

It's going to be a good one, and Peter will be preparing the mailing list very shortly, so if your membership isn't current, make it so.

Congratulations and well done in turning things round from the way they were last year.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
Issue 11 of the journal is now in the hands of the printers! No promises, because things can always go awry, but with luck it'll be with you all in a few weeks' time.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
BFS Journal #11 is beginning to arrive. Let us know what you think!

Ebooks of #11 and #10 are ready too. I've only just requested the mailing list for those, though, so they probably won't be with you till the weekend.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
BFS Journal #11 is beginning to arrive. Let us know what you think!

Ebooks of #11 and #10 are ready too. I've only just requested the mailing list for those, though, so they probably won't be with you till the weekend.

Cool. I'd given up on those. Now, how about Shelflings? Is that project dead in the water now?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
Shelflings #5, collecting all of the 2013 reviews, is typeset but still needs proofing. Sorry about that! I wouldn't say it's dead in the water, but it's a low priority. Max's editorial in this issue suggests that reviews may return to the journal in future issues.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »
Max's editorial in this issue suggests that reviews may return to the journal in future issues.

Fingers crossed that they do!  :)