Author Topic: BFS Journal #12  (Read 12992 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Journal #12
« on: February 16, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
Journal editor Max Edwards would like some of the material in #12 to reflect the theme “LGBT & fantasy”. This could be for example fiction or poetry featuring LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) characters, or non-fiction concerning LGBT authors or writing. Submissions of material not relating to this theme are of course also welcome.

Submit your material (or send your ideas) to Sarah Newton for fiction (journal@britishfantasysociety.org), Stuart Douglas for non-fiction (features@britishfantasysociety.org), and Ian Hunter for poetry (poetry@britishfantasysociety.org).

Letters and artwork submissions should be sent directly to editor Max Edwards (journal@britishfantasysociety.org).

The deadline for #12 submissions is 5 May 2014. Full submission guidelines here.

Offline Sarah Newton

• Initiate
  • Writer & games designer in a Normandy field...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Site
Re: BFS Journal #12
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

Can I also chip in from the fiction standpoint that by an "LGBT theme" I'd also love to see stories more broadly exploring gender and sexuality. I've already received a couple of good and intriguing submissions; feel free to tackle the whole theme and its associated issues in all of our "fantasy" genres, including swords & sorcery, high fantasy, urban fantasy, magical realism, science-fiction and fantasy, historical fantasy, alt-history, alt-society, and anything else that inspires you. Hell, I'll even go with zombie stories this time if you can make it fit. ;)

This is the first themed issue I've been involved with, and it's good and meaty and I'm looking forwards to seeing some stirring and thought-provoking tales!

Best,

Sarah
Fiction Editor, British Fantasy Society Journal
_____
http://sarahnewtonwriter.com
http://www.mindjammerpress.com

Offline Stuart Douglas

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
And just to re-iterate, on the non-fiction side, I'd be delighted to read anything with an LGBT theme - from a history of gay genre writing to analyses of gay characters to discussions/interviews with gay writers to just about anything else you can think of.  And like Sarah I'd be delighted to get a little closer to gender parity, so anyting related to or by gay female writers would be particulalry welcome!

Best

Stuart
Non Fiction Editor - British Fantasy Society

www.obversebooks.co.uk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
Journal editor Max Edwards told the committee yesterday that this issue went to the printers last Thursday (September 4), but it hadn't been booked in so the turnaround may be a little bit longer than usual.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
It's turned out that there has been a problem at our end with #12 of the journal, which as mentioned above the committee had understood to be already at the printers. Phil Lunt has stepped in to get that issue finished and off to press, and I will probably help with #13. We hope to have both issues with you before the end of the year.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
Max Edwards has resigned from the post of journal editor. He has asked us to post the following statement on his behalf:

When I criticised the journal back in September of last year and subsequently applied for the position, I was a student: I had free time and some small journalistic experience. 'Easy,' I thought. Alas, life.

A fairly disastrous early 2014 – having to abandon my unliveable flat and find the money to live alone – coupled with a severe, and at times debilitating, ongoing skin condition, made my life difficult to say the least. My focus shifted from the Journal to getting a job: working my arse off in internships and work experiences, to the detriment of other projects. I got one, so it paid off, but my focus progressed to that It's not just the Journal that has suffered, but much of my life this year.

My general failure when it came to the journal made it worse. Where it mattered, I wasn't experienced enough and wasn't able enough, and for that I'm very sorry. All faults with Journal communication, timescale and production have been my fault and my fault alone.

I had high-minded ideas, ideas I continue to believe in when it comes to the Journal. That it should strive toward being a paying marketplace. That it should promote work by established and new voices. In particular, I continue to strongly believe that the Journal should promote equality in our community. I was, in my short stint, in the process of championing gender equality in the Journal. The BFS is the body that claims to represent British Fantasy fans, by its very name. It runs a highly successful convention and awards programme, and I think it is thus shameful that there are no elected women representatives on the Committee. In a genre so beset by talented women, I feel that the Journal can and should be at the forefront of promotion of gender equality across the British community, and implore my successor that they continue along the path to a gender equal Journal

I must thank my editorial team over the year, Sarah Newton, Stuart Douglas, Ian Hunter and Ewa Scibor-Rylska for their hard work and patience with me. Thanks too must go to the Committee, who helped me enormously, in particular Richard Webb for being a good friend, lovely man and being unfailingly understanding. My largest thanks must go to Stephen Theaker, for stepping in and stopping the ship from rocking on more than one occasion. He is an indispensable part of the BFS and cannot be more highly commended by me.

I believe the Journal has massive potential – potential I saw but that was out of the reaches of what talent I possessed. Given the right person to kickstart it, I believe the BFS Journal can have a lasting impact on the British Fantasy scene. It is with sadness, therefore, that I must resign from the position of BFS Journal Editor.

With best wishes to all, and I owe you drink at the next con.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
QUOTE: I think it is thus shameful that there are no elected women representatives on the Committee.

[1] Look back over the history of the BFS re. females on the committee: Jo Fletcher, Di Wathen, Ro Pardoe, Nicki Robson, Jan Edwards, Debbie Bennett...

[2] Perhaps more women should put themselves up for election. Are we going to force them to stand?

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
To Peter – I would add Marie O’Regan to your list of women who have had an enormous and beneficial impact upon the history of the BFS.
To Max – You came in with high ideals, which is not to be criticised. I appreciate your honesty that the role became too much and that you had to resign.
In general – I would suggest that the main focus right now should be getting issues 12 and 13 of the “Journal” out to long-suffering members. The question of “gender parity” is perhaps something that could be debated and discussed in the pages of a future “Journal” / at an AGM / at an Open Night…

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
...Vicky Stock (when she was Cook), Helen Hopley, Jane Prior, Mel McLeod, Marion Pitman, Lou Morgan, Di Lewis, Amanda Rutter, Pat Barber and er, me! (hello!) ;)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
I didn't intentionally miss out any of you marvellous ladies. Honest.

I agree with Allen -- let's get the society back to full speed first.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
Hi Jen,
Yes, thank you very much for listing loads more significant women. How could I have missed out you and Pat? Or the lovely Vicky Cook (now Stock)? To which, I would also add Melissa Murphy, one-time editor of "Dark Horizons".
Maybe the point implicit here is that the female members of the society have always played a significant part in the BFS and will doubtless continue to do so with Sarah and Ewa currently in post.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
#12 is coming along very nicely in Phil's hands. Pretty much typeset, bar a couple of bits that need updating to take account of the time that's passed since copy was originally submitted. I've typeset about 40pp of material for #13, so that's building up well too.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 05:47:39 PM »
Ah yes, Melissa Murphy! That's who I meant, not Mel McLeod - don't know where I got that from!  :o

Offline David A. Sutton

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • David A. Sutton
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
The emphasis on this post should be the problems of the BFS journal/magazine. Not the non-existent "problem" of gender representation. No one is forcing any man or woman to write or not to write, to edit or not to edit. Use what's good, whoever has written it. If there's an "imbalance" so be it. Nothing to be corrected. That's just as it is.

Now let's find out how the BFS can improve.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
The emphasis on this post should be the problems of the BFS journal/magazine. Not the non-existent "problem" of gender representation. No one is forcing any man or woman to write or not to write, to edit or not to edit. Use what's good, whoever has written it. If there's an "imbalance" so be it. Nothing to be corrected. That's just as it is.

Now let's find out how the BFS can improve.

I couldn't agree more. Quality not equality is what should matter to any editor. If I am not mistaken this is very much the position of editors of the calibre of Ellen Datlow, who said something much along these lines at the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton.