Author Topic: James Herbert Award for Horror Writing  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: James Herbert Award for Horror Writing
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
Yes, I'm sure it's still worth a punt if you've published a suitable novel. Especially at the moment, when the bigger publishers aren't publishing an overwhelming amount of horror.

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
Agree with all of the above - sending physical copies of books to judges all over the world is really pricy, both as a unit cost and for the postage (which benefits no one but the Royal Mail). But if you believe, then, well, you've got to, right? Plus, it makes the authors happy to know you support them in that way...

That said, awards really should make digital copies - if not mandatory, at least 'strongly preferred'. For the cost of sending copies of my books to World Fantasy judges, I could've easily bought one of them an e-reader.

As to the award itself, delighted it exists and James Herbert deserves to be recognised in this (and every) way. Having a publisher as a primary sponsor is a bit weird - especially when said publisher is one of the last 'Big 5' to be investing substantially in the supernatural horror genre. But even if there are kinks to work out, everyone involved seems to know their stuff, and I'd rather the award exist than not!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
Any signs of life in this award? Was on hiatus in 2016, but with a suggestion that it'd be back this year: http://file770.com/?p=28325

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
I emailed the publicity company who took over to ask about it, and I haven't had a reply. I'm guessing it's a goner.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I emailed the publicity company who took over to ask about it, and I haven't had a reply. I'm guessing it's a goner.
Well that was a nine-day wonder!