Author Topic: BSFA Awards  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BSFA Awards
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »
Our bitter rivals at the BSFA have announced their award winners for 2014:

Best Non-Fiction: Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer
Best Art: cover of Tony Ballantyne’s Dream London by Joey Hi-Fi
Best Short Fiction: Spin by Nina Allan
Best Novel: ties between Gareth L. Powell for Ack Ack Macaque and Ann Leckie for Ancillary Justice

Congratulations to all the winners. More info here.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
Re: BSFA Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
Our bitter rivals at the BSFA have announced their award winners for 2014:

Best Non-Fiction: Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer
Best Art: cover of Tony Ballantyne’s Dream London by Joey Hi-Fi
Best Short Fiction: Spin by Nina Allan
Best Novel: ties between Gareth L. Powell for Ack Ack Macaque and Ann Leckie for Ancillary Justice

Congratulations to all the winners. More info here.

SPIN is a great novella for all lovers of literature, whether BFSA or BFS. I read and real-time reviewed it some months ago.
Congratulations to Nina Allan and to all the other award winners.
Are we "bitter rivals" with BSFA, btw?  These days, I can see little difference between the interests of the two organisations.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »
The bitterest! Even as I voted in the BSFA awards this year I clenched my fists and ground my teeth!

Their publications are A4. Ours are A5. There can never be peace!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
Well, "bitter rivals' did seem strong, so I now assume it was a joke.
As a related debating point, it has seemed to me that over the last year or so the BFS as an organisation (reflecting its membership) seems to have travelled to some extent to the SF and High Fantasy end away from the Horror and Dark Fantasy end. As to the BSFA, I'm not sure, but based on the evidence of their award yesterday to Nina Allan's 'Spin', they seem to be travelling in the opposite direction. I'm not making a value judgement about this but, if it is true, is it not time to at least consider merging the two organisations?

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
The bitterest! Even as I voted in the BSFA awards this year I clenched my fists and ground my teeth!

Their publications are A4. Ours are A5. There can never be peace!

Bet they open their boiled eggs at the wrong end, too.
Mike Chinn

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
Bet they open their boiled eggs at the wrong end, too.

But which organisation is the big-ender and which the little-ender?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
I think the reasons for the original BFS breakaway still apply, and if the two orgs ever merged it'd be five minutes before people started planning another breakaway org. The UK scene is lucky to have them both.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »
I think the reasons for the original BFS breakaway still apply, and if the two orgs ever merged it'd be five minutes before people started planning another breakaway org. The UK scene is lucky to have them both.

...or their combined strength and skills could be stronger than anything they do separately.

I'm not sure about history you refer to, but when I joined  the BFS in the 1970s it seemed to be more of a Horror organisation. I am interested in all forms of literature: SF, horror, fantasy and literary, but I joined the BFS as part of my Horror Literature interest specifically.
There now seems to be more of a blurring of genres, hence my suggested debating-point earlier in this thread.
If there is a case for the UK scene being lucky to have both the BFS and BSFA, then their catchment areas perhaps need better defining and working as a synergy rather than as 'rivals' in the same literary area.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
 I gather that the BSFA considered having a section dedicated to weird fiction but since that didn't happen, the BFS was created in 1971. It was a separate entity to the BSFA because that organisation didn't cater to fantasy/horror fans. So, strictly speaking, the BFS and BSFA didn't split.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »
I gather that the BSFA considered having a section dedicated to weird fiction but since that didn't happen, the BFS was created in 1971. It was a separate entity to the BSFA because that organisation didn't cater to fantasy/horror fans. So, strictly speaking, the BFS and BSFA didn't split.

Thanks, Peter. I think it was originally called the British Weird Fantasy Society?

Offline Donna Scott

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
So bitter rivals are we that the Chair is actually a BFS member and goes to all the Fantasycons*. But I have my fingers crossed so it doesn't count!

*And I'm going to try to make a few more open nights, damn I'm so busy!

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »

Thanks, Peter. I think it was originally called the British Weird Fantasy Society?

Yes Des, it was originally as you state.

And no, I have never seen the BFS and the BSFA as bitter rivals -- I have been members of both and lived to tell the story.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
So bitter rivals are we that the Chair is actually a BFS member and goes to all the Fantasycons*. But I have my fingers crossed so it doesn't count!

*And I'm going to try to make a few more open nights, damn I'm so busy!

Why, hello Donna! Welcome to our castle! Sit down, have a drink, eat your fill, and listen to the lovely music... "And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low? Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know..." No, that's not chainmail under our black t-shirts...

Seriously, though, I've been impressed with the BSFA during my membership so far and enjoyed reading all the publications. I'll definitely be renewing. Keep up the good work!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
Our bitter rivals at the BSFA announced their award winners at Eastercon last weekend (and I was actually there, for the first time). These are the 2016 awards, handed out in 2017:

BEST NOVEL: Europe in Winter by Dave Hutchinson
BEST SHORT FICTION: "Liberty Bird" by Jaine Fenn (Now We Are Ten)
BEST NON-FICTION: "100 African Writers of SFF" by Geoff Ryman (com)
BEST ARTWORK: Sarah Anne Langton for the cover for Central Station by Lavie Tidhar

All the winners were there in person except Sarah Anne Langton, who cruelly sent Ian Whates (who had published three losing nominees in that category) to collect it in her place.