Author Topic: BFS Survey  (Read 15906 times)

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
BFS Survey
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:50:24 am »
I don't think any committee member has been to this Forum to announce the current existence of a BFS survey about what members and non-members (lapsed members, I think) want from the BFS? Everyone should have received an email about it. That's how I knew about it.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
Re: BFS Survey
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:27:15 pm »
I only saw it when someone posted about it on Facebook. 

Says it all really. 

The potential is there so long as people are willing to put in the effort. 

I suggested that the BFS starts a BFS approved reviewers link page like the HWA does.  A members only area where we can at least air our dirt linen without the whole world watching us infight and argue the same point over and over again.  It would also stop non members from trying to force the hands of the committee, as was seen pretty recently. 

And yes I know my memebership has lapsed.  I'm just holding off to see if the ournal publications stay regular

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:38:47 pm »
A members only area where we can at least air our dirt linen without the whole world watching us infight and argue the same point over and over again.  It would also stop non members from trying to force the hands of the committee, as was seen pretty recently. 

I totally agree

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »
A members only area where we can at least air our dirt linen without the whole world watching us infight and argue the same point over and over again.  It would also stop non members from trying to force the hands of the committee, as was seen pretty recently.  

I totally agree

Ideally, yes. But we tried it before and it didn't seem to work.
As to non-members seen to be exercising influence, if this is done correctly, it could be a positive thing to enable these presumably potential future members to clarify what would be good for them in the society, as is currently being explored by the current BFS Survey to non-members as well as members.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:48:14 pm by Des Lewis »
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »
The members are dind't work as no one knew what it was for.  I had hoped that it could have been used to share leads, have a small critique group, advice for writers etc.  But no one other than me went there

Offline David A. Sutton

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • David A. Sutton
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:17:19 pm »
The BFS seems to have lost its way. We should go back a few years and see how the society used to be run. I know we live in the age of social media, but I really don't think we want to be on tap 24 hours a day in case we miss something. The Forum is a good idea and I think this should be a part of the society, it's there and accessible. Facebook and Twitter less so, unless we are willing to trawl through ten miles of bilge. News and a journal more so. But most of all it's down to dedicated volunteers who are passionate about the aims of the BFS... What the BFS is not for is self-promotion, pushing an agenda, or trying the new-fangled gender or genre "balance". If we get more horror stuff, we get more horror stuff. If we get more heroic fantasy we get more heroic fantasy, that's the way it is. Try editing a magazine or an antho and imposing too strict a rule on it... it does not work to the benefit of the genre. When I edited Dark Horizons, I often thought it would be good to balance the material in one way or another (but NOT the politically correct way), but that's not possible... you use just good articles and stories.

For me the BFS should be: Journal, Newsletter, Chapbooks, Books, Forum, Website. Facebook and Witter-on for getting to a wider audience.

End of sermon. 

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:11:45 am »
Though I helped with the technical side of the survey, I had a few doubts about it (felt to me a bit like holding our hand out to have it hit with a ruler!), but I was wrong. The members have been giving us lots of terrific, carefully-considered, sensible feedback, and a very strong sense of their priorities.

James will be taking a look after he's recovered from his holiday, and then I think sharing the results with the committee for discussion. I think it'll have a big effect on the way we approach things.

Offline David A. Sutton

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • David A. Sutton
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:59:12 am »
I hope plenty of members/former members have filled in the survey. It'll help with the committee moving things on. If only a few have replied... that will make things doubly difficult!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52:18 am »
There have been 127 responses so far (103 identifying as members, 20 as former members, 4 not sure), which I think is pretty good.

By the way, if anyone didn't receive the survey link (e.g. former members whose email addresses have changed), drop me a line and I'll send it to you.

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:42:53 pm »
I've not had an email :(

david@howeswho.co.uk
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 06:47:42 pm »
Should be with you in a second.

Offline David A. Sutton

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • David A. Sutton
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:55:07 am »
Yes, looks like a decent response! It will be interesting to see a summary of the views.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 03:40:38 pm »
I've written a report on the survey responses this morning, intended for BFS Journal #13. Running it past the committee before publication, but should be interesting for members to read. It's already having an effect, for example pushing me to start the monthly bulletin. It also reminded me how thoroughly nice and understanding our members tend to be - for the most part, even the negative comments did their best to be supportive and encouraging!

Offline David A. Sutton

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • David A. Sutton
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:16:09 pm »
Your monthly journal is very welcome and looks good!

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 09:03:17 am »
I've written a report on the survey responses this morning, intended for BFS Journal #13. Running it past the committee before publication, but should be interesting for members to read. It's already having an effect, for example pushing me to start the monthly bulletin. It also reminded me how thoroughly nice and understanding our members tend to be - for the most part, even the negative comments did their best to be supportive and encouraging!

But will it be posted anywhere for non/ex members to see?  ;)