Author Topic: FantasyCon 2015  (Read 32751 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
FantasyCon 2015
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
As announced at this year's event, FantasyCon 2015 will be in Nottingham, on 2325 October 2015, and will be chaired once again by Lee Harris. Here's a thread for discussing it.

Please note that this board is here for our forum's members to talk about FantasyCon; it wasn't set up by the current FantasyCon organisers, most of whom aren't active on the forum, and it's not the right place for customer service queries.

If you ask a question about FantasyCon 2015 here other forum members may reply, but if you want an official answer please use the official channels:

FantasyCon website: http://fantasycon2015.org/
FantasyCon contact page: http://fantasycon2015.org/contact-us/
FantasyCon chair email address: fCon15chair@gmail.com
FantasyCon Twitter: https://twitter.com/FantasyCon2015
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:15:13 PM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline TomC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyCon 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
Living in Derbyshire, this is great news for me!
Missed the last two so i'll definitely be attending this one :)

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
As soon as you know the dates please post them  booking weekends of at work are really difficult

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
Will do.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
It's 23-25 October 2015.

Offline TomC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
Really like the look of the venue. My wife went there while studying at the University and has been singing its praises!

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
It's 23-25 October 2015.

There was some query over this date, that it conflicts with World Fantasy Convention. However, checking online WFC looks to be set for 5-8 November.

http://www.worldfantasy.org/

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
Isn't it about time the BFS website had a link for Fantasycon 2015, with whatever details have been worked out so far?

Or to be more fair to the BFS, isn't it about time the organisers had at least a basic website up for people to link to? I tried Googling, but the only link took me to this thread, which is the only place I could find the dates. As to the venue, I'm glad some people know what it is. I think it's the East Midlands Conference Centre, but I can't find a thing online to confirm that. I was trying to find info to pass on to an author who lives in Nottingham & is interested.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:02:40 PM by David Brzeski »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »
I reckon this is where the website will be once it's up: www.fantasycon2015.org

Blank for now, but the domain was registered by Lee.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
When it was pointed out at the AGM in York that the Society had not taken advantage of the buzz people feel whilst at a con by having forms available to sign up to the following year's event, Lee assured those in the room that such would be emailed out to all con attendees within a few weeks.

Fantasycon 2014 was two months ago.

So much for capturing people's wallets whilst they were still in the glow of the con that just ended.

This year's con at York was so invisible (in terms of branding) that it was as if the Society had deliberately gone out of its way to be as utterly unobtrusive as possible upon the hotel, to the point where one ordinary hotel guess - not part of the con - thought the freebie books in the corridor was some kind of Sunday church group selling stuff for charity. In 20 years of attending cons, never have I seen a con have so little impact upon the hotel hosting the event. As one young woman commented, we could have arranged this ourselves on Facebook - and saved ourselves the 40 quid or more we gave to the Society as a membership fee.

By the way, does anyone else realise that  - other than telling a few folk at York - the Society has never officially announced the actual hotel at which the event is being held next year? Told everyone it's in Nottingham, sure, but only a handful actually know which hotel it's at.

It's been two months, guys. This silence does not bode well. In fact, it distinctly gives the impression that most things are going to be left to the last minute before being thrown together... a bit like this year's 20 page souvenir 'book'.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:41:37 AM by Paul Campbell »

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »
By the way, does anyone else realise that  - other than telling a few folk at York - the Society has never officially announced the actual hotel at which the event is being held next year? Told everyone it's in Nottingham, sure, but only a handful actually know which hotel it's at.

I mentioned this a couple of posts ago in this very thread, Paul. At the moment, the con website is still a blank page. The committee don't read the forum, so I got zero response to my post. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole thing doesn't just fall apart, from lack of interest.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
Oh dear! I was just about to post here asking if the website was up and running yet. I see it isn't, and other folks have been asking too. Doesn't bode well. :-(  I'm fairly certain I'm going to book for FCon 2015 - I do remember seeing the hotel somewhere (can't recall where it is though) and it did look good - but the organisers do need to pull their fingers out and get things going.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
The convention is still a year away, so there's still plenty of time for all these things. I'm just glad someone volunteered to run it! Wouldn't be happening at all, otherwise. And that it's the same people who put together such an interesting programme of events this year makes me happy too. I could have missed everything I went to this time and filled the time just as valuably.

From my experience on a FantasyCon committee, you don't want to publicise the hotel before everything is set up, because people start trying to book, and don't get the convention rate, don't get counted in our allocated rooms, don't get the late check-out on Sunday (when that applies), etc.

As far as the souvenir programme goes, in years where the organisers want to produce a book, that's cool, but I don't think it's an essential part of a convention. FantasyCon has I think only had souvenir books in 2011 and 2012, and neither of those were BFS-funded FantasyCons. Different organisers are going to allocate time and money to different aspects of the event.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 11:01:13 AM »
As far as the souvenir programme goes ... I don't think it's an essential part of a convention.

I couldn't disagree more.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
The convention is still a year away, so there's still plenty of time for all these things. I'm just glad someone volunteered to run it! Wouldn't be happening at all, otherwise. And that it's the same people who put together such an interesting programme of events this year makes me happy too. I could have missed everything I went to this time and filled the time just as valuably.

From my experience on a FantasyCon committee, you don't want to publicise the hotel before everything is set up, because people start trying to book, and don't get the convention rate, don't get counted in our allocated rooms, don't get the late check-out on Sunday (when that applies), etc.

As far as the souvenir programme goes, in years where the organisers want to produce a book, that's cool, but I don't think it's an essential part of a convention. FantasyCon has I think only had souvenir books in 2011 and 2012, and neither of those were BFS-funded FantasyCons. Different organisers are going to allocate time and money to different aspects of the event.

Speaking as someone with slightly more experience of FantasyCon organising, I have to say you're wrong on every point there, Steven.
Mike Chinn