Author Topic: FantasyCon 2015  (Read 32752 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: FantasyCon 2015
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
As per the post here: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/fantasycon/fantasycon-2015-quick-update/

FantasyCon 2015 dates: 23rd-25th October 2015
at the Orchard Hotel / East Midlands Conference Centre.
The EMCC are currently setting up the online discount codes, and the website and booking facilities should be online by the end of next week - possibly sooner.

Now, I've worked professionally in exhibitions, conferences and events on the design and organisation side since 2001 and, given our current time-frame, I don't have any concerns about the organisation of things here but I'll keep on top of it and report back whenever we've anything to divulge. Hope that helps, folks  :)

Thanks for the update / confirmation. A year might be more than enough time for you as an organiser, but it's not that long if you wish to create a publicity machine that rolls and rolls and so on. Guests, especially overseas guests, and others may need a long lead in time to arrange holidays and travel; and publishers may want to organise their schedule for 2015. . Anyway, best wishes to you and Lee.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »
Can I ask where you're getting this information from that Fantasycon 2012 was non-BFS funded? If not funded by the BFS or the takings from the previous year's con, then by whom?

It was funded by the organisers. I'm getting that information from having been BFS chair when the BFS committee voted on 16 June 2010 to agree that arrangement with them for the 2011 event, and from having heard at subsequent AGMs that the same arrangement was in place for 2012.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
Actually, until bank accounts were merged (last year? early this year?), technically FantasyCon and the BFS were always funded separately. Not having separate bank accounts was raised at the AGM this year and Lee said (if I recall exactly) that they will be split again.

The FantasyCons staged in Brighton were self-funding -- ie, funded by the membership and profits were reinvested into the following convention and, I believe, shared with the BFS. It's important to remember that FantasyCons were organised FOR the Society, which took a heavy burden off the shoulders of the then BFS committee. I chaired FC2009 on behalf of the BFS -- I wasn't on the BFS committee and no one seemed to find reason to complain about the organisation that year.

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
FantasyCon 2015 website is stirring... http://fantasycon2015.org/

WIP but we're getting there!

Offline GraemeReynolds

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Any news on the hotel booking codes, Phil? The post that said "next week" was three weeks ago and its still rather quiet.

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
Any news on the hotel booking codes, Phil? The post that said "next week" was three weeks ago and its still rather quiet.

Apologies! I think I know the answer to that one but let me just prod...

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 11:01:04 AM »
Apologies again for the delay - had to double check some info.

The systems at EMCC won't allow online codes to work until 8 months before the event, unfortunately, but peeps can still register by phone for the discounts now.

The magic word is FANTASY15

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
Sorry, what is this about hotel booking codes? I haven't seen anything about this until Graeme's post above. Is this the discount for FCon? And how much is it going to cost? I feel we need much more info than this before we can start to plan and book anything. To be honest I can't even remember the con dates - nor the exact venue! Hope you can clarify, Phil.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
Sorry, what is this about hotel booking codes? I haven't seen anything about this until Graeme's post above. Is this the discount for FCon? And how much is it going to cost? I feel we need much more info than this before we can start to plan and book anything. To be honest I can't even remember the con dates - nor the exact venue! Hope you can clarify, Phil.

The British Fantasy Convention 2015 will take place from the 23-25 October 2015 at the East Midlands Conference Centre and Orchard Hotel in Nottingham. Otherwise the website is missing important information at the moment: http://fantasycon2015.org/

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
To be honest I can't even remember the con dates - nor the exact venue! Hope you can clarify, Phil.

Bottom of the last page: http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3796.msg30407#msg30407  ;)

Otherwise the website is missing important information at the moment: http://fantasycon2015.org/

Lee is on the case. I've had to strap him to his chair to stop him running off for a bit, though  ;D

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »
Sorry, Phil, I meant I hope you can clarify about the "hotel discount codes" you've been talking about - is that for booking the hotel with the FCon discount? I think I'll wait till it's all gone live on the site anyway but I didn't want to miss out on any discount, and it would be nice to know how much it's all going to cost.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline simonbestwick

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »
I'm on the hotel site at the moment; it seems to have recognised the FANTASY15 code as a corporate offer and is offering rooms at a 'FantasyCon Event Rate'.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
I've just checked the prices. A double costs 105 per night. I think it is normally around 120 but don't quote me on that.

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
I'm on the hotel site at the moment; it seems to have recognised the FANTASY15 code as a corporate offer and is offering rooms at a 'FantasyCon Event Rate'.

Interesting... ta for the heads up, I'll report back...

I've just checked the prices. A double costs 105 per night...

Yet only 95 if you want a double room but for 1 person...  :-\
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:38:55 PM by Phil Lunt »

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »

According BOOKING.COM  the hotel is booked out for the event.  There are still lots of places close by that are a lot cheaper.  I got a room for two nights with a private bathroom for less than the cost of two nights at the event.