Author Topic: FantasyCon 2015  (Read 60222 times)

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyCon 2015
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2015, 10:55:24 am »
I have an artist friend, whose Agent thinks it would be advantageous for her to attend the convention. Is there going to be any sort of art display at all this year? There's no mention whatsoever on the website. Will she just have to book a table in the dealer's room? Also, she's 75 & not wonderfully mobile, so we need to know what the disabled access is going to be like.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2015, 05:23:39 pm »
Being fairly sensible, I also emailed my enquiry directly to lee. I got the following reply, which I don't think he'd mind me sharing, as the disabled access info is certainly going to be of interest to others...

Hi,

There's no plan for an art show this year. We offered it last year, but
only one artist showed any interest. Your friend would be more than welcome
to book a table in the dealer room, though. As for access, there isn't a
single space in the entire centre that can't be accessed on foot or by
chair - it's probably the most accessible building FantasyCon has ever
used. We're trying to keep everything on the ground floor, but if we need
to expand upstairs, that area can be accessed by (outside) ramp or lift. I
suspect we won't need the upstairs area, though. It's also a very compact
building, with rooms all pretty close to each other.

Cheers,

Lee

Shame about the lack of an actual art show, but I've always got the impression on previous years, that such things never really interested most attendees all that much.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2015, 08:37:02 pm »
Personally, I always enjoy the artshow, almost as much as the dealers' room. Pity not enough artists were interested last year -- Jim Pitts showed his work in the dealers' room.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »
Yes, I'd love an art show too. The only time I've been to a FCon with an art show there was so little interest that I managed to pick up a lovely piece of original Bryan Talbot art for an absolute snip as no-one else bid on it!  8) Great for me .. but it would be nice if there was a good art show with real interest shown in it.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2015, 09:45:20 am »
Yes, I'd love an art show too. The only time I've been to a FCon with an art show there was so little interest that I managed to pick up a lovely piece of original Bryan Talbot art for an absolute snip as no-one else bid on it!  8) Great for me .. but it would be nice if there was a good art show with real interest shown in it.

Exactly

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 11:49:38 am »
It would be really nice if the attendees list would get updated sometime soon. Last update was on May 20th, over a month ago.

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2015, 06:00:58 pm »
It would be really nice if the attendees list would get updated sometime soon. Last update was on May 20th, over a month ago.

It should be getting updated again in the next few days...

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2015, 01:14:26 pm »
It's looking very much like the convention hotel is out of rooms, as a friend of mine found nothing available for those dates when he checked online this morning. I've told him to ring them & check first, but if he has left it too late, is there a list of alternative options available?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »
I'm not involved in FantasyCon, but the website does currently recommend phoning to book: http://fantasycon2015.org/venue-and-accommodation/

If he's just tried to book online through the hotel's normal site, it may be showing as taken just because the rooms have been set aside for FantasyCon.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
He rang them this morning and, as I expected, he now has a room.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:03 pm »
It looks as if the tram line from Nottingham city centre now runs to the University -- that's where the convention venue can be found. It looks as if the journey takes around 15 minutes to University Boulevard:

http://www.thetram.net/maps-and-stops.aspx

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:37:13 pm by Peter Coleborn »

Offline TomC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2015, 10:06:13 am »
When is the latest i can buy a ticket to attend? I'm having ankle surgery the weekend before and so am going to have to see how that settles on the Monday to see if i can come.

Thanks
Tom

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2015, 07:24:12 pm »
When is the latest i can buy a ticket to attend? I'm having ankle surgery the weekend before and so am going to have to see how that settles on the Monday to see if i can come.

Thanks
Tom

Apologies for the delay, Tom, I've been snowed under with various things (real world AND BFS :D)

Anyway, payment 'on the door' will be possible if we don't sell out beforehand which, last I heard, we were getting close to... I'll poke Lee and find out in more detail, though.

Offline TomC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »

Thanks
Tom

Apologies for the delay, Tom, I've been snowed under with various things (real world AND BFS :D)

Anyway, payment 'on the door' will be possible if we don't sell out beforehand which, last I heard, we were getting close to... I'll poke Lee and find out in more detail, though.

Cheers Phil, i took the plunge and booked anyway because i didn't want to risk missing out :)

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2015, 03:34:18 pm »
Just in case it's relevant for name badges, can someone please change my name on the list of attendees? It should be Cluley. Thank you. Sorry to be a pain :)