Author Topic: FantasyCon 2015  (Read 55261 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: FantasyCon 2015
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »
The Orchard Hotel isn't sold out if you enter the corporate code.

I looked for a near-by / cheaper hotel, Jim, but all those seemed to be full already. Did you book a B&B?

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 03:57:08 pm »
I've just checked the prices. A double costs 105 per night.

Seriously? Over a hundred pound a night to stay in Nottingham, and not even the town centre at that but the outskirts. Nope, ain't happening: I'm not paying that amount to stay in Nowhere Nottingham. Heck, the deal the Royal York offered me and Audrey for staying seven nights worked out not much more than that per night.

And what gives telling folks they can book the hotel when the BFS hasn't even posted the con membership fee yet -

- or, come to that, got the con website up and running even though it's now three months since Fantasycon 2014.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »
That's 105 for two sharing a double / twin room. It is expensive, though, isn't it?

Phase 2 of Nottingham's tram system is going to cut through the university campus, which will make it dead easy to get into the city centre (Phase 1 is brilliant). But I'm not sure when the route will be operational.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:47:22 pm by Peter Coleborn »

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:52 am »

Phase 2 of Nottingham's tram system is going to cut through the university campus, which will make it dead easy to get into the city centre (Phase 1 is brilliant). But I'm not sure when the route will be operational.

Yeah, and you've still got to walk from the train station to wherever the tram leaves from, wait for said tram, and then it's - what? - 20 minute tram journey to the campus, then another walk to the venue? All whilst Audrey and I as carrying luggage? So, with the walking and waiting and tram journey we're looking at 40mins, all that after spending a three-trains-trip from where we live to Nottingham. Nah... it would be a taxi. So add the cost of a taxi there on the Friday and back again on the Sunday afternoon to the price of the room per night and, yep, you're just a smidgen off what Audrey and I paid per night to stay in a double in the Royal York.

So if that's meant to be a special offer con rate then it doesn't bode well for other prices...

Because we will all effectively be 'stuck' at the hotel due to its location, then folks ought to be made privy beforehand to the following details:

Venue bar prices

Food selection and prices at the venue

Average taxi fare from venue to town centre

Oh, I dare say we could all do the leg work ourselves and find out this stuff - by why should we? After all, it wasn't us who picked the venue, and these are the kinds of things that should have been taken into account when the venue was chosen anyway.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2014, 10:39:42 am »
At least it's not as isolated as this hotel, venue of a long ago convention:

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/en/walsall/bhxws/hoteldetail

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2014, 02:30:10 pm »
Apologies all, I thought I was helping by getting information out to folk quickly as I had it but it seems all I've done is cause more problems and confusion and I probably should have weathered the storm until every last piece of info was available. Or maybe it's just a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't? Maybe whatever happens that will always be in play...

The venue was picked before I came on the scene but I know a lot of time and energy was spent in looking at various places before going for this one, it wasn't a rushed job and most people I've spoken to seem quite happy about it but, obviously, keeping absolutely everyone happy all the time is a fine balancing act that is nigh on impossible. And yet I try.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

The venue was picked before I came on the scene but I know a lot of time and energy was spent in looking at various places before going for this one

So why then isn't the BFS sharing the fruits of all that energy? If the BFS has indeed meticulously looked at all the details why, 3 months after Fcon'14, is it not posting said details?

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2014, 06:06:40 pm »
Apologies all, I thought I was helping by getting information out to folk quickly as I had it but it seems all I've done is cause more problems and confusion and I probably should have weathered the storm until every last piece of info was available. Or maybe it's just a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't? Maybe whatever happens that will always be in play...

The venue was picked before I came on the scene but I know a lot of time and energy was spent in looking at various places before going for this one, it wasn't a rushed job and most people I've spoken to seem quite happy about it but, obviously, keeping absolutely everyone happy all the time is a fine balancing act that is nigh on impossible. And yet I try.

I appreciate that you are trying to provide the latest news.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2014, 06:39:09 pm »
Isn't FCon and the BFS two separate groups or at the least semi independent groups?  Phil you're doing a great job, the problem  comes from the fact that no announcement has come from Lee that he block booked the whole hotel.  It would have taken seconds to put a notice   on the FCON 2015 site and then post it here. 

In a way I'm glad he didn't as I would never have gotten such a cheap hotel.  All i need is a place to store my stuff and bed to sleep in. 

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:00 pm »
Isn't FCon and the BFS two separate groups or at the least semi independent groups?  Phil you're doing a great job, the problem  comes from the fact that no announcement has come from Lee that he block booked the whole hotel.  It would have taken seconds to put a notice   on the FCON 2015 site and then post it here.  

Absolutely! Phil - we're not mad at you. As Jim says, you're doing a great job. Communication (both BFS and FCon) has been seriously lacking for quite a while - you are striving to put this right.

The problem is that there is no information yet on the FCon website. Hence, we're getting odd bits of information here and there and people are getting confused and frustrated.

Personally, I prefer an out-of-town venue like the one we have here as it's easier for me to drive to/park. I don't drink or eat curry anyway so being outside the city centre is no problem for me! However, I do seem to be in a minority - I haven't heard anyone else say the same thing.  :D

Anyway, I'm going to wait until details of the con itself - especially the cost - are available before I book the hotel. So, Phil, please just try to find out when the FCon website will have some information on it - then we'll all (well, mostly) be happy.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 09:19:26 am »
We've booked two nights at the Con hotel and am happy with it. Generally I'd prefer something more central, but then it does raise parking issues and the whole thing becomes a bit swings and roundabouts. Agreed that it might be a bit daft booking the hotel before paying for FCon membership but it's the hotel cost/availability which is the big concern - I can't imagine Con prices will have differed much from last year.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:27 am »
Andrew can you not cancel the booking if the cost of the con is too great?  I booked my hotel through booking.com and they allow me to cancel with penalty almost up to the date of the booking.

There will never be a location that will please everyone. To be honest, even if it was in my back garden I'd just end up complaining about Chris Teague peeing in my rose bushes. 

I do think though that it should always be in a location that requires no more two trains.  Getting to Nottingham from Edinburgh by train is a nightmare, Brighton in my opinion is too far away. 

Personally I thought York was great, the only problem with it was the high bar prices, it meant that everyone sneaked of to the pubs that were way cheaper

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »
Andrew can you not cancel the booking if the cost of the con is too great?  I booked my hotel through booking.com and they allow me to cancel with penalty almost up to the date of the booking.

There will never be a location that will please everyone. To be honest, even if it was in my back garden I'd just end up complaining about Chris Teague peeing in my rose bushes. 

I do think though that it should always be in a location that requires no more two trains.  Getting to Nottingham from Edinburgh by train is a nightmare, Brighton in my opinion is too far away. 

Personally I thought York was great, the only problem with it was the high bar prices, it meant that everyone sneaked of to the pubs that were way cheaper
Except for Corby ... if you try and arrange a convention in Corby, then the entire membership gets up in arms and you get pilloried online ... at least that's what happened last time :(

David
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 04:06:44 pm »

It's a long way, but I think you'll be able to do Edinburgh to Nottingham in two trains, because both cities have direct trains to us here in Birmingham.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:33 pm »

To be honest, I can't remember as my partner looked up the details and I just made a payment! (that's how it usually works in our house)

Note for people who do book in advance: I didn't get a confirmation email right away and neither did the money come out of my account. I rang the hotel and they said it takes a 'few days' to go through as they manually do the card payments and it isn't automatic. I did get a booking reference online. I think we did it direct from the hotel website.