Author Topic: BFS bulletin  (Read 9530 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: BFS bulletin
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
Sorry, I don't know what that one was. This thread is about the members-only bulletin that goes out every month, usually on the 1st of the month, sometimes on the 2nd or the 3rd.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
Ah, think I got it now, there was an email of website news on 22 July 2015 about the awards, that might be what you're looking at. Those go out automatically, and you don't need to be a member to receive them.

If anyone else wants to get them, you can sign up here: https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=BritishFantasySocietyNews

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
The last one I have was sent on 22 July, -- is that the latest one?

Out of interest, are we talking about the one edited by Stephen or the one by Martin?

There should have been one this month, according to an earlier message from Stephen.

I think I should point out that I haven't been receiving bulletins on a regular basis. The last one I received (can't remember when) was something of a surprise as I genuinely believed they'd stopped going out.
Mike Chinn

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »
Ah, think I got it now, there was an email of website news on 22 July 2015 about the awards, that might be what you're looking at. Those go out automatically, and you don't need to be a member to receive them.

If anyone else wants to get them, you can sign up here: https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=BritishFantasySocietyNews

Yes, that's the one. Not received anything for August so has my name slipped off the list? I am a member of the BFS still, as far as I know.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
There should have been one this month, according to an earlier message from Stephen.

I think I should point out that I haven't been receiving bulletins on a regular basis. The last one I received (can't remember when) was something of a surprise as I genuinely believed they'd stopped going out.

The last members-only bulletin you'd have been sent was the March bulletin, and from Mailchimp it looks like that one got to you safely. (I turn off all the tracking I can in there, but you can't turn absolutely everything off in a free account.)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »
Yes, that's the one. Not received anything for August so has my name slipped off the list? I am a member of the BFS still, as far as I know.

No, you weren't on the list for the July or August bulletins, I'm afraid, looks like your membership expired in June. Best to contact the secretary with any membership queries, but if you want to check your expiry date, it'll have been in all of the bulletins from October 2014 to March 2015. (I had to leave it out of a couple after that for technical reasons.)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
I really do appreciate proper reminders when it's time to renew. That's what we used to do. Oh well...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »
That's been the secretary's territory; anything I've done in the bulletin to date is a supplement to their work rather than a replacement for it. But like I say above, we've now worked out a way to send separate renewal reminders automatically to people whose memberships have expired in the last month as part of the production work on the bulletin, so that should make renewals less of a perennial problem area for the society in future - same with emails welcoming new members to the society. I sent out this week renewal notices to everyone whose memberships expired in the last month, and when there's a new journal on the horizon I'm planning to send a renewal email out to everyone else whose memberships have expired this year.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
That's been the secretary's territory; anything I've done in the bulletin to date is a supplement to their work rather than a replacement for it. But like I say above, we've now worked out a way to send separate renewal reminders automatically to people whose memberships have expired in the last month as part of the production work on the bulletin, so that should make renewals less of a perennial problem area for the society in future - same with emails welcoming new members to the society. I sent out this week renewal notices to everyone whose memberships expired in the last month, and when there's a new journal on the horizon I'm planning to send a renewal email out to everyone else whose memberships have expired this year.

That's very good news, well done

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
This month's members-only bulletin went out this morning, as well as a welcome email for new members (and people who had been away for a while), and renewal emails for anyone whose membership expired during the last month. If you received something you don't think you should have, or didn't receive something you do think you should have, let me know, because it's a new system and there could still be kinks to work out.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 07:13:22 PM »
Hope everyone has enjoyed the first twenty members-only bulletins, and if you haven't enjoyed them, I hope you found them useful. If you didn't find them useful, I hope they at least let you know that you'll always have a friend in the BFS.

I've now handed the bulletin over to our excellent secretary, Andy Marsden, which will hopefully assure its continuation far into the future, long after my current spell on the committee comes to an end in September. For now keep using the same link to submit your member news - the magic spreadsheet is now in Andy's hands.

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:14 AM »
A terrific little addition to the BFS offering. Thanks for setting it up!

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
Yes, your legacy will live on.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
Andy is very enthusiastic. Should be good!

Offline Andy W Marsden

• BFS Secretary
  • Global Moderator
  • Initiate
  • Call me Doc. I write horror.
    • View Profile
    • AWMarsden.com
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the great handover, Stephen! I'm quite happy that the Bulletin shall continue as a mainstay of communicating with the membership, coupled with the Newsletter, and complementing the Journal and Horizons.
I should probably stop volunteering for things...

Twitter/Instagram: @AndyWMarsden