Author Topic: BFS Journal #13  (Read 7783 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Journal #13
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
While Phil Lunt is finishing off #12, I'm getting things moving on #13, and hoping to have it with you before the end of the year. The poetry is in hand from poetry editor Ian Hunter, and the fiction is on its way from fiction editor Sarah Newton. We haven't heard from non-fiction editor Ewa Scibor-Rylska yet, but we have a couple of pieces in hand from previous non-fiction editor Stuart Douglas, and committee members are working on a couple of pieces too.

One thing I was thinking about, while we don't have a chair, was perhaps a short survey of previous chairs to see what they'd say to someone who fancies the job now. I know who all the chairs were from the point that I joined (Lee Harris, Graham Joyce, David Howe, Stephen Theaker, Guy Adams, Marie O'Regan, and then I think Gary Couzens), but not sure who was chair before then. Can anyone help?

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
Re: BFS Journal #13
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
Jan Edwards was chair before Gary.  :D  Steve Jones and Jo Fletcher have also chaired, I think. Also Guy Adams, Jon Ward.   Di & Mike Wathen as well? 

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
Wasn't there a full list in SILVER RHAPSODY?
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
Not that I could see when I checked.  SR has publication editors, award winners and Fcon organisers though.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
If the BFS had kept a copies of all its publications it could check back and see who did what and when. Does the SF Library at Liverpool Uni still receive all BFS publications? If so you could try them.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
I went back through some of the old copies I acquired from places and a lot of the really old newsletters didn't mention who was doing what on the committee, unless it was the issue after Fcon then staff changes sometimes got mentioned.  Also, there were a bunch of years where there were no official chair, per se, but vice presidents were listed instead. 

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
When the society began there was a President and a Vice President and no Chairman. Since the VP acted as the Chair in time the post of VP became the Chair. In no particular order, BFS Chairs/VPs included Jan Edwards, Mike & Di Wathen, Stephen Jones & Jo Fletcher, David Howe, Gary Couzins, Guy Adams, Marie O'Regan (& Paul Kane?), Graham Joyce (temp), Lee Harris, and me. I'm sure I've missed one or two folk out. At the very beginning the VP was either Ro Pardoe or Keith Walker or David Sutton. But don't ask me to swear to all this -- my memory isn't always as clear as it should be...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »
Thanks everyone! That'll be very handy if I follow up on that idea.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »
When the society began there was a President and a Vice President and no Chairman. Since the VP acted as the Chair in time the post of VP became the Chair. In no particular order, BFS Chairs/VPs included Jan Edwards, Mike & Di Wathen, Stephen Jones & Jo Fletcher, David Howe, Gary Couzins, Guy Adams, Marie O'Regan (& Paul Kane?), Graham Joyce (temp), Lee Harris, and me. I'm sure I've missed one or two folk out. At the very beginning the VP was either Ro Pardoe or Keith Walker or David Sutton. But don't ask me to swear to all this -- my memory isn't always as clear as it should be...

I was Chairman for a short while (a year, I think). My one claim to fame is getting the VP role renamed as Chairman (for the reasons Peter outlined)
Mike Chinn

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »

I was Chairman for a short while (a year, I think). My one claim to fame is getting the VP role renamed as Chairman (for the reasons Peter outlined)

Sorry I omitted your name, Mike.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
So in order back from 2014 I think we've had:

Mark Barrowcliffe (2013-2014)
Lee Harris (2011-2013)
Graham Joyce (acting) (2011)
David Howe (2010-2011)
Stephen Theaker (acting) (2010)
Guy Adams (2008-2009)
Marie O'Regan (2004-2008)
Nicki Robson (2003-2004)
Gary Couzens ([??]-2003)
Jon Ward (c.2000)
Jan Edwards ([from at least 1996 till at least 1997]).

And also: Peter Coleborn, Mike Chinn, Stephen Jones, Jo Fletcher, Di & Mike Wathen (about 1991?), and at the beginning possibly either Ro Pardoe or Keith Walker or David Sutton.

Am I right in thinking James Barclay is only the third President, after Kenneth Bulmer and Ramsey Campbell?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
Just to let you know, the journal@britishfantasysociety.org email address forwards to me for now, so if you have any letters of comment please send them in.

Offline GaryC

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
Gary Couzens ([??]-2003)
Jon Ward (c.2000)
Jan Edwards ([from at least 1996 till at least 1997]).

My dates were 2000-2003. Jon Ward did one year, so 1999-2000. Jan did three years, the same as I did, so 1996-1999.

I can't remember offhand before that - I joined the BFS and attended my first AGM in 1994.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 10:10:45 PM »
Thanks - really working our way back. I'll get this up on the website at some point.

Mark Barrowcliffe (2013-2014)
Lee Harris (2011-2013)
Graham Joyce (acting) (2011)
David Howe (2010-2011)
Stephen Theaker (acting) (2010)
Guy Adams (2008-2009)
Marie O'Regan (2004-2008)
Nicki Robson (2003-2004)
Gary Couzens (2000-2003)
Jon Ward (1999-2000)
Jan Edwards (1996-1999)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
If anyone's in touch with Nicki Robson, could they ask her to email me? My Gmail suggested an email address for her (probably from when I did a mailmerge for FantasyCon 2010 or something), but it looks like it's bounced.