Author Topic: British Fantasy Awards 2015  (Read 14462 times)

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
Re: British Fantasy Awards 2015
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
Actually, scratch the previous. Once I started on the form I remembered a bunch of people who deserve adulation. Result!
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
Good - the more votes the better! And thanks for prodding people! I do prefer to keep the voting link offline if possible, but I suppose with it being the last day there won't be enough time for any scammers to latch onto it.

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 03:56:25 PM »
Ah, sorry about that. You want me to pull it? Happy to do so and post it again. First time out of the trap here, I was bamboozled by all the puppies chatter...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 04:10:41 PM »
If you want, that'd be nice, but I'm not too worried about it at this late stage - I'd be posting it online myself at this point if voting was still desperately low! The problem is that the FantasyCon 2014 attendees list is online, and someone of evil intent could try to vote in those people's names.

(The sad puppies stuff is fascinating. For what it's worth, I reckon the answer isn't changing the rules, but authors realising that they don't want the embarrassment of being on that list in the first place!)

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
S'gone. Evil intent shouldn't be enabled.

The Hugos are a never-ending source of discussion, aren't they. I haven't looked too deeply into it yet but I'm generally against knee-jerk structural reactions like changing rules because they normally happen before people have really understood the problem. So some cheery Easter reading for me then!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »
I've just done a rough count of the votes that have come in so far:

2012: 952 votes were cast
2013: 1374 votes were cast
2014: 1790 votes were cast
2015: 1160 votes cast so far, with six and a quarter hours to go.

We may not beat 2014's extraordinary total, but 2013 is definitely in sight. So far 151 votes have been cast in the best fantasy novel category, and 97 in best horror novel.

Quite a few people have suggested Terry Pratchett for the Karl Edward Wagner Award, which is a lovely thought, but I'm glad to be able to say he won it while he was still alive, in 2011.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:25 AM »
Quite a few people have suggested Terry Pratchett for the Karl Edward Wagner Award, which is a lovely thought, but I'm glad to be able to say he won it while he was still alive, in 2011.

That was one small issue I had with the voting form. When it came to that award, I had to consult Wikipedia to check who had already won it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the idea, David - I've added a link to the awards page on our website to the info section for that question, so it's there ready for next year.

Voting has now closed! 105 voting forms were submitted, casting 1504 votes across all categories. 63 voters said they were BFS members, 71 were FantasyCon 2014 attendees, and 52 were FantasyCon 2015 attendees.

This month I will be checking that everyone who voted was eligible to vote, and working out the provisional shortlists. Next month I will be appointing the juries. If any of you fancy being on one, let me know.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
Thanks for the idea, David - I've added a link to the awards page on our website to the info section for that question, so it's there ready for next year.

Voting has now closed! 105 voting forms were submitted, casting 1504 votes across all categories. 63 voters said they were BFS members, 71 were FantasyCon 2014 attendees, and 52 were FantasyCon 2015 attendees.

This month I will be checking that everyone who voted was eligible to vote, and working out the provisional shortlists. Next month I will be appointing the juries. If any of you fancy being on one, let me know.

Hi Stephen, I am more than willing to be a juror again this year. 

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
Excellent, thanks Jim!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
A quick reminder that I'll be putting together the British Fantasy Award juries next month, subject to the approval of the BFS committee, and that if you'd like to volunteer I'd love to hear from you.

I'm looking for people who are keen, careful readers, who enjoy discussing their reading, and who are happy to follow the rules of our awards (which are not terribly onerous). An ereader or tablet, or a PC on which you can read, will be useful in most categories, and essential in some (e.g. best magazine and best comic).

Constitutionally you have to be "directly or indirectly related to the writing, publishing and bookselling genre fields" to be a juror, but since that includes anyone who has ever read a book you're probably covered. You do not have to be a BFS member - in fact we are required to have at least one non-member on each jury.

Thank you to everyone who has already been in touch.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »
I'd love to be a juror again some time, but not this year, and presumably best not nonfiction again. :) If there's anything you think I can help with in future, please do give me a call…

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 06:38:22 AM »
Thanks!

Offline AllenStroud

• Initiate
    • View Profile