Author Topic: Frightful Horrors - new publisher on the block!  (Read 4557 times)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Frightful Horrors - new publisher on the block!
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
Hi guys!
I wanted to let you know that there's a new horror/supernatural/weird fiction publisher on the block! I've resurrected Frightful Horrors with the intention of publishing ebooks initially and, later, paperbacks and possibly even audiobooks.

I'm excited to announce that the author whose first collection Frightful Horrors will be publishing in the summer is ... *drum roll* ... Tony Lovell. Tony’s a master of what I call ‘quiet horror’. You won’t find cheap shocks or gore within his stories; just a brooding sense of loneliness, subtle terror and inexplicable strangeness. The stories elicit all kinds of emotional responses from the reader.

Tony's stories have been published in All Hallows, Supernatural Tales, The EXAGGERATED Press's Monster Book for Girls, and several Megazanthus Press anthologies, including Horror Without Victims and The First Book of Classical Horror Stories.

I’m absolutely delighted to be publishing his first collection, containing both previously published and unpublished stories. I consider him to be an author of exceptional talent. If you haven’t read any of his stories yet you’re in for a real treat.

I'm now setting up a Frightful Horrors blog as I thought it might be interesting for folks if I charted the development of a new publishing establishment. I'll post the link to the blog here once it's fit for human consumption! In the meantime, if you're on Facebook, you can "like" the Frightful Horrors Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Watch out for further updates as and when!  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
Re: Frightful Horrors - new publisher on the block!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Good luck!  :)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:38:54 PM »
Thanks, Andrew.  :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:43:58 AM »
Good luck with the new venture!

Is that the same Tony who used to post on the Ramsey Campbell Message Board?

Offline David A. Sutton

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • David A. Sutton
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »
Best wishes Caroline. Hope the venture goes well!
Dave.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
Is that the same Tony who used to post on the Ramsey Campbell Message Board?

It is, Stephen. The very same one!  8)

Thanks, chaps. It's all a bit scary at the moment, I must confess. Enjoyable though.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »
Good luck with this venture, Caroline. Always great to hear of a new press.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
Good luck with this venture, Caroline. Always great to hear of a new press.

Thanks, Allen!  8)

I now have the Frightful Horrors blog up and running - where I reflect every now and again on my experiences of setting up a new small press. Only two entries so far (starting with "What on earth possessed me..?"). Please read and enjoy - and follow too if you like:

https://frightfulhorrors.wordpress.com/2015/03/21/what-on-earth-possessed-me-to-start-a-small-press/

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
Cool stuff! Yes, you're right these are *exactly* the same questions every small press startup asks themselves!  ;D Good luck with it, and please do keep us posted.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Thought I'd better keep folks up to date with what's going on over at Frightful Horrors. I now have even more exciting news to report! As well as its regular publications – the first of which is a collection from the master of ‘quiet horror’, Tony Lovell, due this summer – I’m also planning the Frightful Horrors Showcase series. This will comprise a series of short e-chapbooks which aim to showcase emerging writers in the genre. The first in this series will be a mini-collection of two previously unpublished short stories from the pen of Cate Gardner.

Cate's stories have appeared in many weird and wonderful places such as Shimmer, Black Static and Shock Totem. Her fifth novella, The Bureau of Them, will be published this June/July by Spectral Press. Her collection, Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits and Other Curious Things (Strange Publications, 2010), has just found its way to the top of my own to-be-read pile, and I can tell you it's absolutely brilliant! Her e-chapbook from Frightful Horrors, entitled Shadow Moths, will be published in June/July 2015.

A cover artist has been commissioned (more details soon) and editing/proof-reading is underway. So, if you want to keep up to date with further developments, please “like” the Frightful Horrors Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk?fref=ts) and/or follow the Frightful Horrors blog (https://frightfulhorrors.wordpress.com/).

-Caroline Callaghan, Frightful Horrors

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »
From one new face on the block to another, hello! You keep them busy, I'll stuff their pockets full of all the books...

It's definitely big questions for the first few months but the good news is you only need to answer each of them one time. Lots of experienced types hang around here though so you're in the right place. Looking forward to seeing your books as well.
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »
Thanks, George. You're quite new to this publishing lark then too, I see? Good luck to you too. Yes, there are plenty of people around to help. One of the things I love about the UK small press is the way we all help each other.  8)

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
New to SFF, not so new to publishing. But yes, lots of help to be had, fire away!
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
Phew, I've been so busy lately I almost forgot to post this on the forum! This is the cover reveal for Frightful Horrors' first publication - an e-chapbook containing new stories from Cate Gardner. Publication has been delayed for a while due to unforeseen personal circumstances, but I'm delighted to reveal this excellent cover by Joshua Rainbird (which has been described as "seriously disturbing" - a compliment, indeed!). More details of the e-chapbook, including publication date, to follow just as soon as possible. In the meantime, take a look at this wonderful cover!

https://frightfulhorrors.wordpress.com/2015/10/03/cover-reveal-and-some-daft-questions/

Offline FranklinMarsh

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
That's a magnificently weird and creepy cover, Caroline!