Author Topic: Frightful Horrors - new publisher on the block!  (Read 4556 times)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Frightful Horrors - new publisher on the block!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
That's a magnificently weird and creepy cover, Caroline!

Thanks, Franklin. I thought so too. Joshua Rainbird is a very talented artist. I hope people will see a lot more of his work before very long.  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
Nice cover. I read the blog. I would always check the cover with the author beforehand. In fact, part of the old Elastic Press contract (and now with my new Salò Press) is that the cover art has to be agreed by both publisher and author. Also, I always send an edited file to the author for a final once-over before publication. Not just to agree the contents, but also so another pair of eyes can check for any errors. Hope that helps :)

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
Nice cover. I read the blog. I would always check the cover with the author beforehand. In fact, part of the old Elastic Press contract (and now with my new Salò Press) is that the cover art has to be agreed by both publisher and author. Also, I always send an edited file to the author for a final once-over before publication. Not just to agree the contents, but also so another pair of eyes can check for any errors. Hope that helps :)

I agree totally. I couldn't imagine putting anything to point without making sure the author had agreed the front and back covers and had had a chance to check through a pdf of the contents - just to make sure that they are in agreement with everything - and to give them a chance to spot any errors beforehand. From a purely practical point of view that can avoid a lot of grief later.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »

I agree totally. I couldn't imagine putting anything to point without making sure the author had agreed the front and back covers and had had a chance to check through a pdf of the contents - just to make sure that they are in agreement with everything - and to give them a chance to spot any errors beforehand. From a purely practical point of view that can avoid a lot of grief later.

Thanks, Andrew and David. Stephen commented in the same vein on the blog - so you're all in total agreement!  ;D

Fortunately, I'd already agreed the cover with Cate (it seemed sensible to do so) but I was pondering on the issue of whether it was usual to send an edited version of the book to an author before publication. What you all say makes absolute sense. Thank you! I don't feel such an idiot now!  8)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:02 AM »
So, after a brief hiatus, it’s finally here! Frightful Horrors’ first e-chapbook – Cate Gardner’s Shadow Moths - is published and ready to purchase for Amazon Kindle:
In the UK: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L7K5JAW
In the US: www.amazon.com/dp/B01L7K5JAW

Reviews are starting to come in and people seem to love it. Here’s what Jasper Bark has to say:
“There is a touch of Aickman and a touch of Ligotti about these two stories.”

And Des Lewis says:
“Some writers have the knack to turn the throwaway line into haunting nightmares. Cate Gardner is, in my experience, one of those.”

I’ve produced a short promo video for the e-chapbook which you can view here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5G9iKwS3zI

If you love weird and wonderful fiction please consider buying this short e-chapbook (and leaving a brief review on Amazon if you'd be so kind). I may be biased but I think the two stories contained therein are superb. Thank you!  :)
-Caroline Callaghan,
Frightful Horrors

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
That's a magnificently weird and creepy cover, Caroline!

thank you, I tried to make it as creepy as the tales

best wishes
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
Hi folks!
I just wanted to let you know that Cate Gardner's short e-chapbook Shadow Moths is FREE on Amazon this weekend only:
In the UK: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L7K5JAW
In the US: www.amazon.com/dp/B01L7K5JAW

I've got a BIG announcement to make next week about a couple of new planned e-chapbooks so I'm having a bit of a celebration and giving Shadow Moths away this weekend. Grab a copy while it's free!  ;D
-Caroline Callaghan

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
I almost forgot to post this here! I have some fabulous Frightful Horrors news. I’m delighted to say that we have not one, but two superb authors lined up to publish short e-chapbooks with us early in 2017.

First, is a creepy tale from What They Find in the Woods (Dark Minds Press, 2016) author, Gary Fry. There’s the feel of an old creature-feature B-movie about Gary’s upcoming Frightful Horrors story, though it has a contemporary setting. I love it! But then I guess I wouldn’t be publishing it if I didn’t, would I? Publication is likely to be January 2017.

The second author is the incomparable DF Lewis. Now, I must admit to having a bit of a “fangirl” moment here. I first discovered Des Lewis’ writing when I picked up a copy of his collection, Weirdmonger (Prime Books, 2003), over 10 years ago. I’ve been an avid fan ever since. So, to have Des agree to let me publish a few of his tales is like a dream come true. Watch this space for further details including contents and publication date.

-Caroline Callaghan
Proprietor – Frightful Horrors
 8)